The Derry CRY/Cancer Club Challenge

Started by RONAN, August 19, 2011, 10:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RONAN

Is your club prepared to make a marathon effort for charity?

Dear club member,

My name is Ronan Rocks, and I would request your assistance in fund raising to help raise awareness of cancer and cardiac risk in the young.

On Saturday 15th October in Bellaghy, there will be clubs from all over Ireland taking part in a 15km relay run around the village in aid of two hugely worthwhile charities, Marie Curie Cancer Care and CRY.

Every club that enters needs just five members, be they male or female, to run the course. If every individual were to raise £100 in sponsorship, we could reach a target of £20,000. (£500 per team).

Initially set up with the aim of attracting all 40 Derry clubs, the event has already grown far beyond what we might have hoped.

To name but a few, teams from 5 times All-Ireland winning Crossmaglen Rangers and 2004 All-Ireland champions Caltra will be in attendance.

The reason I am doing this is because I know the effects that both cancer and sudden adult deaths can have.

I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma back in April 2004, after discovering a lump on my neck a few months before, little did I know what was ahead of me, but with chemotherapy and massive help through Antrim Hospital I was back playing football by the middle of 2005.

A week before the county final that year, my sister in law Marcella Doherty died of a sudden cardiac illness, ARVC (Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy).  She was a seemingly healthy 24 year old woman.

The statistics are frightening.  There are well over 2,000 senior club footballers, hurlers, camogs and ladies footballers in Derry at this present minute.  Statistics show that one in three people will contract cancer at some stage in their lives.  So of those 2,000 active men and women, almost 700 will need the help that the likes of Marie Curie provide at some stage.  The other 1,300 will more than likely have to deal with the effects of watching someone suffer with the disease.

In the decade and a half since the charity CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) was formed, they have raised money to assist in the battle against sudden cardiac deaths among young people.

CRY, among other things, have played a huge role in the push for young athletes to be screened for heart conditions, and are continually doing research into conditions as they affect athletes and the general population under 35.

But what's in it for you?

Any club which participates has a chance of winning £1,000 in the form of an O'Neills sports voucher,  2nd will receive £500, and 3rd will take home £250. All 5 runners will do 3km each making their way back to the club to hand over a baton for the next runner to go, and so on till the 15km is completed, should prove very competitive and a chance to pit yourself against many teams from Derry and beyond.

Anyone wishing to take part can contact me on 07875 400 839, or email ronan@moltools.co.uk. We also intend to set up a bank account for anyone wishing to make a voluntary donation in any way, you can follow us on facebook under Derry Marathon,

I look forward to hearing from you,

Ronan Rocks

tree tops

Great thing you're doing Ronan - hope it's a roaring success

RONAN

Just an update for anyone interested, so far we have over 30 teams entering the relay, also great response from various people who intend coming along and walking a lap of the coarse. Special mention to Kevin Madden of Break for Ball who kindly donated £400, and Magherafelt District Council who donated £200. Again if your interested drop me an email ronan@moltools.co.uk or give me a call on 07875 400 839.

Ronan.

bannside

Fair play Ronan - a lot of work must have gone into all the planning to get such a huge crowd of clubs to take part.

I`ve always been impressed with people who spend so much time and energy doing volunteer work for the benefit of others, so hopefully a fair amount can be raised for two very worthy causes.

Nice touch from Kevin Madden too it must be said.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bannside on October 04, 2011, 08:17:58 PM
Fair play Ronan - a lot of work must have gone into all the planning to get such a huge crowd of clubs to take part.

I`ve always been impressed with people who spend so much time and energy doing volunteer work for the benefit of others, so hopefully a fair amount can be raised for two very worthy causes.

Nice touch from Kevin Madden too it must be said.

it was alright, something which affected him too in the past unfortunately. I hope the county final rescheduling doesnt affect it too much
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

RONAN

Just a reminder that the Derry CRY/Cancer Club Challenge goes ahead tomorrow at Bellaghy Club, starting at 1pm sharp. So far i have 40 guaranteed teams taking part along with various other people wanting to run, walk or crawl round!!! Should be a great day all round for 2 great charities, looking forward to seeing sum of you there!

Many thanks,

Ronan.

glens abu

Quote from: RONAN on October 14, 2011, 10:27:08 AM
Just a reminder that the Derry CRY/Cancer Club Challenge goes ahead tomorrow at Bellaghy Club, starting at 1pm sharp. So far i have 40 guaranteed teams taking part along with various other people wanting to run, walk or crawl round!!! Should be a great day all round for 2 great charities, looking forward to seeing sum of you there!

Many thanks,

Ronan.

Good luck with that,hope you all have a great day.

RONAN

The Derry CRY/Cancer Club Challenge

Saturday can only be described in one word.....Overwhelming! Ended up 22 teams took part, few cry offs with genuine excuses, and a great crowd turned up to walk round as well. Ballerin took 1st prize of £1000 O'Neill's sports voucher, Coleraine 2nd £500 O'Neill's sports voucher and Glenullin 3rd £250 O'Neill's sports voucher, real exciting finish as well with Gerard O'Kane and Sean Leo McGoldrick having a ding dong battle for 2nd and 3rd. Kilrea camogie team won the ladies prize. To everyone who was there i cant thank you enough, last count we are touching on £15,000!!!

RONAN

Another up-date from yesterdays count the total is now £17,200 and still donations coming in!

Ronan.

lynchbhoy

well done young chap thats superb ! You deserve a lot of credit- along with the rest of the organising committee etc (and begrudgingly Bellaghy GAA club !)
the pics of the event look good too !