County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I think Donegal will be at the start of a new cycle.
Tyrone, Armagh and Derry are ahead of them in the pecking order.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Dessie Farrell given another two years with Dublin. Not sure if he's the right manager to lead them through their current transition but that ends the speculation that his time with Dublin was over.

Elsewhere Tomás Ó Sé looks like he'll be taking on the Kerry U20 management role a few weeks after turning down the senior Offaly post due to work commitments.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on August 17, 2022, 06:30:41 PM
I think Donegal will be at the start of a new cycle.
Tyrone, Armagh and Derry are ahead of them in the pecking order.

Donegal are going to have to give Michael Murphy one job. He can't be trapsing up and down the field. I'd give him a complete exemption from tracking back. Kerry do the same for Clifford.
Also they have to lose this fear they seem to have of losing and just go for it in games.

They have the players!

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on August 14, 2022, 12:26:53 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on August 12, 2022, 10:40:08 PM
Is Counihan the man in Monaghan ??
The rumours are strong

Think so yeah
And yet there's no white smoke.  I fancy Jason Sherlock (not that he will get the job), he's had experience coaching for years with arguably the best ever GAA set up/ county team, he's been a player as well at the top level and I'd be confident that he has the wherewithal to select a good backroom team. And obviously he's highly motivated to be a successful county team manager as he's focused on getting the Monaghan job.
But as Banty says wisely, county team management is akin to running a medium to large sized business, so much to take care of.

The Subbie

Quote from: Main Street on August 18, 2022, 01:20:18 AM
The rumours are strong

Think so yeah
And yet there's no white smoke.  I fancy Jason Sherlock (not that he will get the job), he's had experience coaching for years with arguably the best ever GAA set up/ county team, he's been a player as well at the top level and I'd be confident that he has the wherewithal to select a good backroom team. And obviously he's highly motivated to be a successful county team manager as he's focused on getting the Monaghan job.
But as Banty says wisely, county team management is akin to running a medium to large sized business, so much to take care of.

The Banty & the adverb Wisely should not really appear in a sentence together. Ever.
Now that I've got that out of the way , I'm also a bit bemused by the lack of white smoke from the Cloghan Kremlin on the new manager
Word was that Counihan wasn't interested , then the word was he was, then the word was he got it , then there's silence
Word was Jayo was the left field choice , then the word was he couldn't pull a back room team together , then he's not interested

We're going to end up with Colm Coyle or Jack McCarville again aren't we !

yellowcard

Quote from: The Subbie on August 18, 2022, 01:42:51 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 18, 2022, 01:20:18 AM
The rumours are strong

Think so yeah

The Banty & the adverb Wisely should not really appear in a sentence together. Ever.
Now that I've got that out of the way , I'm also a bit bemused by the lack of white smoke from the Cloghan Kremlin on the new manager
Word was that Counihan wasn't interested , then the word was he was, then the word was he got it , then there's silence
Word was Jayo was the left field choice , then the word was he couldn't pull a back room team together , then he's not interested

We're going to end up with Colm Coyle or Jack McCarville again aren't we !

Banty is 100% correct in what he says though. The skill set required to manage at modern intercounty level is more akin to that of a CEO than a GAA coach. Most county set ups will involve 15-25 backroom staff and 30-45 playing members. So you are left managing an average of 55-60 individuals. It takes a serious all round skill set to knit all of that together and the key is appointing a strong backroom team who you can trust. The days of county managers donning a tracksuit and a whistle are over for any of the top sides. There are plenty of good coaches or club managers out there who just wouldn't fit the skillset required of a modern senior inter county manager where the scrutiny and pressure is much greater. It's definitely become a full time job so that rules out a lot of otherwise good candidates from taking these roles.   

J70

Is "white smoke" the new GAA buzzword? :)

Been seeing it all over the place the last week or two, when I've never seen it used in this context before.

The Subbie

Quote from: J70 on August 18, 2022, 05:41:44 PM

Been seeing it all over the place the last week or two, when I've never seen it used in this context before.

It's a commonly used term when referring to the selection of someone or something
I've seen it used whilst people are referring to GAA managers , soccer managers, planning permission and court cases !

Main Street

Quote from: The Subbie on August 18, 2022, 11:24:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 18, 2022, 05:41:44 PM

It's a commonly used term when referring to the selection of someone or something
I've seen it used whilst people are referring to GAA managers , soccer managers, planning permission and court cases !
Obviously J70 is a heathen and does not quite conceive that the selection process of the next Monaghan manager is equal or greater to the selection of the pope.

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 17, 2022, 07:45:01 PM
Dessie Farrell given another two years with Dublin. Not sure if he's the right manager to lead them through their current transition but that ends the speculation that his time with Dublin was over.

I'm happy that Dessie wants to go for another two years. Best option out there for the Dubs. Obviously we were very close this year despite missing our most important forward. He's pretty much picking the right players. The bench is weak, but that's just a case of 'it is what it is', it's not like there's a few hidden gems out there that he's missing. But hopefully a couple of lads will put their hand up in the ongoing club championship to provide extra options.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on August 20, 2022, 12:40:12 PM

I’m happy that Dessie wants to go for another two years. Best option out there for the Dubs. Obviously we were very close this year despite missing our most important forward. He’s pretty much picking the right players. The bench is weak, but that’s just a case of ‘it is what it is’, it’s not like there’s a few hidden gems out there that he’s missing. But hopefully a couple of lads will put their hand up in the ongoing club championship to provide extra options.

What other options was out there? Only seen Declan Darcy mentioned who ended up taking on another role. Dublin should have plenty of options.

Biggest task for Dessie Farrell is the transition and leaving the team in decent shape for the next manager. Finding replacements for the older guard that haven't long left Michael Fitzsimons, Jonny Cooper, James McCarthy, Dean Rock etc. While introducing new faces into the set up, thus far few of Dublin U20 players the reached All-Ireland finals in 2020, 2019 have become established senior starters.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 20, 2022, 02:43:34 PM

I'm happy that Dessie wants to go for another two years. Best option out there for the Dubs. Obviously we were very close this year despite missing our most important forward. He's pretty much picking the right players. The bench is weak, but that's just a case of 'it is what it is', it's not like there's a few hidden gems out there that he's missing. But hopefully a couple of lads will put their hand up in the ongoing club championship to provide extra options.

What other options was out there? Only seen Declan Darcy mentioned who ended up taking on another role. Dublin should have plenty of options.

Biggest task for Dessie Farrell is the transition and leaving the team in decent shape for the next manager. Finding replacements for the older guard that haven't long left Michael Fitzsimons, Jonny Cooper, James McCarthy, Dean Rock etc. While introducing new faces into the set up, thus far few of Dublin U20 players the reached All-Ireland finals in 2020, 2019 have become established senior starters.
Well that's it, once Darcy, Gavin and Gilroy showed no interest, it was a no brainer to go with Dessie again.
Sherlock and Bohan would love the job, but they have no friends at county board level, and both would come with doubts anyway. Anyone else would be a big gamble.

I think Rock will be the biggest loss. A reliable long range freetaker is kind of taken for granted when he's there and makes it look easy. Not having a decent long range freetaker was one of the reasons Dubs lost so many big games between end of the 90s and throughout the naughties, and I could see a repeat scenario as there's nobody out there at the moment. 

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on August 20, 2022, 10:02:25 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 20, 2022, 02:43:34 PM

Well that's it, once Darcy, Gavin and Gilroy showed no interest, it was a no brainer to go with Dessie again.
Sherlock and Bohan would love the job, but they have no friends at county board level, and both would come with doubts anyway. Anyone else would be a big gamble.

I think Rock will be the biggest loss. A reliable long range freetaker is kind of taken for granted when he's there and makes it look easy. Not having a decent long range freetaker was one of the reasons Dubs lost so many big games between end of the 90s and throughout the naughties, and I could see a repeat scenario as there's nobody out there at the moment.

Good point. The importance of a good consistent free taker should never be underestimated and Dublin more than most have shown that over the last few decades.

Cunny Funt

Offaly man Pat Flanagan and current manager of Padraig Pearses has been nominated by Pearses to become the new Roscommon senior football manager.  Has said they know my CV and know where I am. 

Not sure if that would be a the right appointment for Roscommon, a good and successful club manager but has struggled to make any impact at county level.

Rossfan

He's probably the only nomination from a Club.
Will the Committee approach/imterview others?
Hope Pat won't be leading us to the Tailteann Cup in 25.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM