County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Farewell AC, we had a few mighty days but this year's Championship poor show meant a parting of the ways was highly likely.
We're not as good a prospect as we were in 2018 so will probably end up with a B grade manager from the merry go round circuit.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

Roscommon have been out of the Championship for nearly 2 months why has it taken him so long to step down?

Surely these things should be immediate to allow the search to start and get someone in place early enough to prepare for next year? If you're starting in September/October I imagine you're starting too late!

Hound

Dubs hurlers could be a nice job for Cunningham

Rossfan

Quote from: screenexile on August 03, 2022, 12:12:43 PM
Roscommon have been out of the Championship for nearly 2 months why has it taken him so long to step down?

Surely these things should be immediate to allow the search to start and get someone in place early enough to prepare for next year? If you're starting in September/October I imagine you're starting too late!

That's what we're all saying here .
Should have been sorted out a month ago.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

It happened before too, manager leaving it late to announce his exit. Cunningham was decent, nothing worth a dam internally, guess we'll end up with someone Mayo doesn't want.
I really hope a certain internal fella,doesn't get it.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2022, 12:21:46 PM
Dubs hurlers could be a nice job for Cunningham
Went for it before but didn't get it and took on the Roscommon gig instead. Might be tempted again.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Cunny Funt

One of the slowest county boards to react to situations like this They left Cunningham to mull over it for a couple a months when they should be the ones to press for answer from Cunningham much sooner.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on August 03, 2022, 11:04:23 AM
Farewell AC, we had a few mighty days but this year's Championship poor show meant a parting of the ways was highly likely.
We're not as good a prospect as we were in 2018 so will probably end up with a B grade manager from the merry go round circuit.

More like two days in 2019 when ye beat both Mayo and Galway to win Connacht. I thought Roscommon would push on under him, but seemed to stall and go backwards if anything.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 04, 2022, 08:55:25 AM

More like two days in 2019 when ye beat both Mayo and Galway to win Connacht. I thought Roscommon would push on under him, but seemed to stall and go backwards if anything.
The thing about this year was that there was a path to the all Ireland final for the Ulster and Connacht teams.
Cunnningham has tactical weaknesses which were revealed in the 2012 hurling final. The pattern of a good first year followed by mediocrity is not surprising.

Blowitupref

I can imagine gaining promotion back to Div 1 would be considered a good day also.   In the championship since 2019 Roscommon have certainly stalled.

@seafoid i'm nearly sure Cunningham led Galway hurlers to 2nd AI final after that 2012 final was lost after a replay. Prior to taking on the Galway hurlers he won two county titles in a row with Garrycastle and in his 3rd year they won Leinster (no other Westmeath club has won the Leinster title) and he led them to the All Ireland final. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

shark

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 04, 2022, 12:23:41 PM

I can imagine gaining promotion back to Div 1 would be considered a good day also.   In the championship since 2019 Roscommon have certainly stalled.

@seafoid i'm nearly sure Cunningham led Galway hurlers to 2nd AI final after that 2012 final was lost after a replay. Prior to taking on the Galway hurlers he won two county titles in a row with Garrycastle and in his 3rd year they won Leinster (no other Westmeath club has won the Leinster title) and he led them to the All Ireland final.

He actually won 3 in a row with Garrycastle. 2009,2010, 2011, followed by Leinster in 2011.
They had the best panel in the county at the time, but despite that they hadn't won since 2004. So he clearly added something that was missing.
They lost the county final in 2012 , following his departure.

seafoid

He did but the same tactical problems which is why the players pushed him out. His improvements reached their end.
He did do a great job with Garrycastle though.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on August 04, 2022, 01:27:14 PM

He did but the same tactical problems which is why the players pushed him out. His improvements reached their end.
He did do a great job with Garrycastle though.

More beaten by better Kilkenny teams than tactical problems and he had more than enough thinking heads on his Galway management team to help out if needed.  In his last few roles Roscommon seem to be the only one that he had a good first year and then regressed. That probably says more about the situation with Roscommon and where they are going regardless of who they appoint next.