David Trimble, aged 77.
Trimble couldn't stop Unionism tearing itself apart
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

red hander

Blowitupref

Quote from: Square Ball on July 25, 2022, 07:45:35 PM
David Trimble, aged 77.

Wouldn't have known him from his last interview shown on RTE News tonight.  RIP
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Never beat the deeler

Hasta la victoria siempre

Orior

Trimble was a bitter little man. He only followed the path of peace when he was led by Hume, Adams, Blair, money and the promise of a seat in the Lords. John Hume donated his Nobel Peace Prize money to charity. Trimble spent his on himelf. Trimble the traitor (as he was known to the DUP) also triggered the demise of the UUP who never wanted to compromise to catholics in the north.

But I am sure Daphne will miss him. May he rest in peace.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnnycool

Quote from: Orior on July 26, 2022, 09:13:50 AM
Trimble was a bitter little man. He only followed the path of peace when he was led by Hume, Adams, Blair, money and the promise of a seat in the Lords. John Hume donated his Nobel Peace Prize money to charity. Trimble spent his on himelf. Trimble the traitor (as he was known to the DUP) also triggered the demise of the UUP who never wanted to compromise to catholics in the north.

There's no doubting in a lot of what you say, but still think the support he got from David Ervine and the PUP was invaluable in getting him onside as he was/is a bitter man but was in the face of a changing time and the unionist communities options were limited by the political forces at play demanding change here one way or the other.

Interesting to hear wee Jeffrey's spake considering he left the UUP for the very reason he's eulogising Trimble.

CiKe

"Right until recent days David continued to use his political skill and intellect, most recently in support of the United Kingdom's decision to leave the European Union and in opposition to the Northern Ireland Protocol.

As a Nobel laureate, his words carried significant weight and he helped raise awareness of the threat the protocol posed to Northern Ireland, particularly amongst the wider UK audience.

He leaves a huge and lasting legacy to Northern Ireland. He can undoubtedly be said to have shaped history in our country."

Jeffrey would never pass up an opportunity to be self-serving...

trailer

Gerry the peacemaker.
Trimble was a pragmatist. All other options were closed off. Power sharing was the only show in town and he recognised that and took that path. Some would do well to learn from his example today.
There is no doubt he was a committed protestant and Orange man. That shone through when he danced down the Garvaghy Road.

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2022, 10:05:23 AM

Gerry the peacemaker.
Trimble was a pragmatist. All other options were closed off. Power sharing was the only show in town and he recognised that and took that path. Some would do well to learn from his example today.
There is no doubt he was a committed protestant and Orange man. That shone through when he danced down the Garvaghy Road.

Are you trying to imply that Adams wasn't a peacemaker?  :o

Applesisapples

Like Adams and McGuinness, Trimble could only have moved unionism from within and by being fairly staunch with it. The DUP and especially Donaldson and Foster stole his clothes (having stabbed him in the back).

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 26, 2022, 11:03:50 AM
Like Adams and McGuinness, Trimble could only have moved unionism from within and by being fairly staunch with it. The DUP and especially Donaldson and Foster stole his clothes (having stabbed him in the back).

Trimble wouldn't have moved an inch if it hadn't of been for the loyalist cover afforded by the very strong support of David Ervine who knew then as now that the working class unionist communities were playthings for big house unionism.

Orior

Quote from: johnnycool on July 26, 2022, 11:22:10 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 26, 2022, 11:03:50 AM

Trimble wouldn't have moved an inch if it hadn't of been for the loyalist cover afforded by the very strong support of David Ervine who knew then as now that the working class unionist communities were playthings for big house unionism.

That is a good point.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians