Donegal v Dublin semi final 28-8-11

Started by Blowitupref, August 07, 2011, 03:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

So can Dublin the raging hot favourites reach there first All Ireland final since 1995 or will Donegal shock the Dubs like they did in 1992?

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

In the Onion Bag

A truely mouthwatering encounter in prospect. Can't wait.
Two completly contrasting styles that are not likely to allow a repeat of yesterdays fantastic open honest game.  btw I thought Dublin were sublime yesterday against Tyrone.  But it was clear that the Tyrone 15 included many heavy legs that were unable to match Dublin's speed and fitness, Donegal don't suffer that problem.  In the past I would have queried Donegal's fittness in crunch games but their display against the hyper-fit Kildare has removed any such concerns.

I see the game as being much less spectacular that yesterday's and a lot closer.  Score will be at a premiem.
Too close for me to call but if someone were to give me £100 that I had to wager I would opt for the machine-like approach of the young Donegal boys.   

Jinxy

I actually think this will be a hugely entertaining game for some reason.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Well we'll be going in as underdogs again, just like the Kildare and Tyrone matches. Looks a big step up, based on yesterday, however. There's no way in hell Dublin will knock over 20 points from play against us, but I would be worried about midfield, where Dublin totally outclassed Tyrone for most of the game and our attack, where we will find scores hard to come by against a good Dublin defence. Kildare cleaned us out at midfield for long stretches, although we dominated there for a couple of periods, enough to keep us in the game and ultimately win it. O'Carroll did very well on Murphy in the U-21 final last year and I'd expect Dublin to have two or three men around him again whenever the ball comes in. We will benefit from the hype which is sure to build up now around Dublin, especially if Mayo manage to surprise Kerry. And if Dublin can reproduce yesterday's form, we will be up against it. That said, we can all think of numerous occasions over the years when teams have gone on to struggle after spectacular performances. So I think we have a decent chance, as long as we defend with as much discipline as we have to date, compete well enough for the breaks and Murphy can win enough ball up front. Gilroy will no doubt have his B team packing their half of the field in their practice matches and will have his homework done, but I'm sure McGuinness will be hard at work too. Will definitely be an interesting tactical battle.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Really looking forward to this one. Something has to give, the question is what exactly?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

It'll be like watching a dog try to figure out a hedgehog.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: J70 on August 07, 2011, 01:49:48 PM
Well we'll be going in as underdogs again, just like the Kildare and Tyrone matches. Looks a big step up, based on yesterday, however. There's no way in hell Dublin will knock over 20 points from play against us, but I would be worried about midfield, where Dublin totally outclassed Tyrone for most of the game and our attack, where we will find scores hard to come by against a good Dublin defence. Kildare cleaned us out at midfield for long stretches, although we dominated there for a couple of periods, enough to keep us in the game and ultimately win it. O'Carroll did very well on Murphy in the U-21 final last year and I'd expect Dublin to have two or three men around him again whenever the ball comes in. We will benefit from the hype which is sure to build up now around Dublin, especially if Mayo manage to surprise Kerry. And if Dublin can reproduce yesterday's form, we will be up against it. That said, we can all think of numerous occasions over the years when teams have gone on to struggle after spectacular performances. So I think we have a decent chance, as long as we defend with as much discipline as we have to date, compete well enough for the breaks and Murphy can win enough ball up front. Gilroy will no doubt have his B team packing their half of the field in their practice matches and will have his homework done, but I'm sure McGuinness will be hard at work too. Will definitely be an interesting tactical battle.

Surely the reason Dublin will have all them extra players around Murphy will be because Donegal won't have enough players forward for them to mark??

J70

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 07, 2011, 02:36:27 PM

Surely the reason Dublin will have all them extra players around Murphy will be because Donegal won't have enough players forward for them to mark??

If Donegal just lump long ball up the field from a defensive position, that would certainly be the case. But are you saying that Dublin won't flood back when Donegal build by handpassing out of defense? They looked to have numerous men in there yesterday when Tyrone forwards got on the ball, especially in the first half.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: J70 on August 07, 2011, 02:50:18 PM

If Donegal just lump long ball up the field from a defensive position, that would certainly be the case. But are you saying that Dublin won't flood back when Donegal build by handpassing out of defense? They looked to have numerous men in there yesterday when Tyrone forwards got on the ball, especially in the first half.

They did have good numbers back when Tyrone attacked but you usually saw that it was the spare guys in the fullback line who were crowding around Mulligan etc when they came forward......Penrose spent very little time in the corner so Dub always had the spare guy usually Cian there at the back....The slower you build up the best for us as we would actually want you to move out of the defensive zone...

INDIANA

Tyrone's gameplan was mindboggling. Short handpasses straight into contact. Tyrone's newer players yesterday simply werent up to it. Especially up front. SON on one leg is better then all their other forwards put togther.

I cant imagine Donegal tactically will make the same mistake. Only thing I would say the Dublin 21's completely dismantled Mc Guinness's system last year in the All-Ireland u21 Final. So the tactical battle will be interesting.

Donegal will be ravenously hungry. They havent won an all-ireland. They have some very good players but to win they have to win midfield.

I actually think they played their best football against Kildare when they came out and played.

The game itself is likely to be an awful spectacle for at least 40mins. Donegal's entire system is built on staying within 3-4 points of the opposition.

I think it will be Dublin toughest game of the year.

J70

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 07, 2011, 03:01:15 PM

They did have good numbers back when Tyrone attacked but you usually saw that it was the spare guys in the fullback line who were crowding around Mulligan etc when they came forward......Penrose spent very little time in the corner so Dub always had the spare guy usually Cian there at the back....The slower you build up the best for us as we would actually want you to move out of the defensive zone...

So Dublin DON'T pull their half-forwards and midfielders back when the opposition attacks? I know its easier to see how these systems work when you're actually at the game.

As for opening us up, I would think we'll keep an extra player or two back there at all times. You're probably not going to see Cassidy, Lacey, Thompson and McGlynn all charging forward at the same time, at least not if someone like McHugh or Hegarty hasn't slipped back to cover them.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Hoping the Dubs win this one! It'll be tight though, just think Dublin might have the edge in forward power and it might be the difference. Gonna be interesting though.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

squire_in_navy_slacks

Donegal will be raging favourites, league champs, ulster champs and have serious momentum now...........................snuffed out serious all ireland contenders kildare with a half fit murphy and off form mcfadden..................

Blowitupref

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2011, 03:09:23 PM

Tyrone's gameplan was mindboggling. Short handpasses straight into contact. Tyrone's newer players yesterday simply werent up to it. Especially up front. SON on one leg is better then all their other forwards put togther.

I cant imagine Donegal tactically will make the same mistake. Only thing I would say the Dublin 21's completely dismantled Mc Guinness's system last year in the All-Ireland u21 Final. So the tactical battle will be interesting.

Donegal will be ravenously hungry. They havent won an all-ireland. They have some very good players but to win they have to win midfield.

I actually think they played their best football against Kildare when they came out and played.

The game itself is likely to be an awful spectacle for at least 40mins. Donegal's entire system is built on staying within 3-4 points of the opposition.

I think it will be Dublin toughest game of the year.

Murphy's missed penalty won the U21 title for Dublin last year what odds on him scoring a winning penalty this time?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose