The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingobus

Feck the getting knocked out, in it, might as well try and win it. Can only help confidence. Imagine the media explusion getting knocked out by Urine/Lille/Turks. A good run will help the coffers as well.

Rossie11

I wouldnt risk Gerrard or Torres etc in it though.
Top 4 is THE most important thing for the remainder of the season.

Prize money from Europa cup is only 2.5m.
Cant see TV rights v the likes of Lille making a whole pile either.

Play the fringe players in my book and give them some experience even if only for 2 games.

bingobus

No risk imho. They can just as easily get crocked in training as in a Europa Cup match. If it was the CL would you rest them and aim for 4th. We should be well capable of doing both.

A trophy is a trophy and an european one doesn't come round very often. So what if its the shitty UEFA cup. We can put in big displays at home to get through those ties and rest 1/2 two on bench in away legs.

Rossie11

QuoteIf it was the CL would you rest them and aim for 4th
CL has no comparison to the Europa. Winning that has prestige and gets you in next year.

Most people would have trouble naming the last 5 winners of the Europa/UEFA cup.
Its a 2nd rate comp and winning it would do nothing to attract new players to the club if they dont make 4th spot.
To me 4th in PL has greater value than the Europa and I dont think they can do both given their form up to now.

charlie stubbs

the europa league would appear to be a lose lose situation imo.if you get knocked out my unirea/lille/turks you become a laughing stock.  you win the comp and it is called a mickey mouse cup which you get f**k all money for.  agree 4th spot is now the priority.  benitez will play his strongest teams in this comp if previous attitude anything to go by.  valencia, juventus and possibly, shakter would be the only team on  paper that should beat us, though suppose attitude will come into this alot.

pompey at weekend.  they put it upto chelsea during the week but need win this and wolves game before the next2 league games villa away and spuds at home!10 points from these games be in good position 6 or less in big trouble!

Rossie11

Quotethe europa league would appear to be a lose lose situation imo.if you get knocked out my unirea/lille/turks you become a laughing stock.
Agree with you there.

Re pompey
http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/football/betting/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/09/12/16/manual_074026.html

Tipped to get beat...

bingobus

Of course its no comparason to CL but players want to play in games, they got a good draw to get to a quarter final, why not ensure you get there and see how the season sits rather than playing a shite team in this round and going out.

Winning games is whats its all about and this breads confidence, and thats what we are missing. I'd go to win it. By all means its maybe 3rd priority after 4th and FA cup even but don't dismiss it. Plus we could draw Everton in a later round and they deserve a beating...again.

Charlie Stubbs has it right, can't win either way but I'd rather "lose" by winning the thing than lose to a team called Urine somethingorother.

The weekend is a must win. Regardless of how spirited Portsmouth are, they are botton for a reason. 3 points or nothing. Torres to start and Gerard must be due a goal from open play. I think if we get an early goal, we can push on for a 3-1 win.

Chrisowc

Quote from: bingobus on December 18, 2009, 02:33:29 PM
A trophy is a trophy and an european one doesn't come round very often.

You say that.....though it would be Liverpool's 9th ;)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Archie Mitchell

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 19, 2009, 01:33:26 PM
Wasn't much of a red card.
Thought that myself..I think it was more the intent of what he done was why he was sent off
You'll Never Walk Alone.

orangeman

Body language from the Liverpool team is not good.