The Big Bailout of the Eurozone (Another crisis coming? - Seriously)

Started by muppet, September 28, 2008, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

I heard those exact details. I would agree with Hound somewhere around 5 years
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

macdanger2

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 07, 2018, 02:33:31 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 07, 2018, 01:57:36 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 06, 2018, 10:10:19 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 06, 2018, 09:57:05 PM
How the hell did he get bail? Crazy. His family are not in the State, he's facing 10 years plus in the slammer but ya - you can have bail. Nuts.

It's complete bollix. If he had held up a bank at gunpoint, would the c*nt have gotten bail?
Well I presume it's a combination of flight risk and threat to society when they consider bail, so holding someone at gunpoint is probably not a great fact pattern!

The gardai were fairly adamant alright that he shouldnt get bail, though my own feeling is they tend to oppose bail almost all the time to cover themselves in the event of an absconder. But by opposing nearly all the time, it's harder for the judge to pay much heed and to determine the people who are genuinely high risk .

The 3 other found guilty got in and around 3 years. He seems to be the ring leader and has an additional charge he's been found guilty of, but I'd say it'll be concurrent rather than consecutive sentences as they are related. So I predict 4-5 year prison sentence with time off for what he already served in the US, so with good behaviour out in not much more than 2. On that basis, I'd say it's safe enough that he'll suck it up.

I thought I read somewhere yesterday that the sentence for one of the charges is 10 years and for the other there is no maximum sentence. Perhaps someone can confirm that??

Flight risk seems high enough though I would have thought, esp now that he's been found guilty? He fled the jurisdiction previously and if the US hadn't arrested him, he'd hardly have returned.

Someone I heard on the radio mentioned 8 years.

seafoid

Bankslaughter should be a crime.
Anglo cost over EUR 30bn
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU