Cheeky Dubs football bandwagon gets underway for 2007!!

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, January 03, 2007, 12:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15 Johnny Blues

Caffrey shows strong hand for Dubs Stars clash
Dublin manager Paul 'Pillar' Caffrey has named a very experienced and strong side for this Saturday's Dubs Stars clash at Naomh Mearnog, Portmarnock (2.0).
Colin Moran, whose season was badly interupted by injury in 2006, will captain the side from left half-back in an impressive line that includes acting captain for '06, Bryan Cullen, and Paul Casey.
Both of Dublin's two Allstars for '06 will be playing. Stephen Cluxton has been selected in goals for Caffrey's side while Alan Brogan will lead the Dubs Stars attack from centre-forward.
The Dubs Stars encounter is preceded by the meeting of Dublin and Meath in a ladies senior football challenge (12.30).

DUBLIN (SF v Dubs Stars) - Stephen Cluxton (Parnells); David Henry (Raheny), Barry Cahill (St Brigid's), Stephen O'Shaughnessy (Lucan); Paul Casey (Lucan), Bryan Cullen (Skerries), Colin Moran (Ballyboden St Enda's); Ross McConnell (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER), Darren Magee (Kilmacud Crokes); Kevin Bonner (St Brigid's), Declan Lally (St Brigid's), Ray Cosgrove (Kilmacud Crokes); David O'Callaghan (St Mark's), Conal Keaney (Ballyboden St Enda's), Jason Sherlock (Na Fianna). Subs: John Leonard (St Sylvester's), Niall O'Shea (St Jude's), Declan O'Mahony (Ballyboden), Shane Ryan (senior) (Nh Mearnog), Pat Burke (Kilmacud), Colin Prenderville (Fingal Ravens), Donnacha Reilly (Skerries), Barry O'Hanlon (St Pat's, Palmerstown), Graham Cullen (Skerries), Kevin Nolan (Kilmacud Crokes), Chris Guckian (St Jude's), Cian O'Sullivan (Kilmacud), Shane Ryan (junior) (Nh Mearnog).
DUBS STARS - Stephen Gallagher (UCD); Willie Lowry (St Vincent's), Paddy Navin (UCD), John McCarthy (UCD); Paul Griffin (Kilmacud Crokes), Ger Brennan (St Vincent's), Coman Goggins (Ballinteer St John's); Pat Gilroy (St Vincent's), Sean Brady (UCD); Billy Sheehan (UCD), Alan Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER), Austin O'Malley (UCD); Dermot Connolly (St Vincent's), Tomas Quinn (St Vincent's), Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER). Subs: Paul Copeland (St Jude's), Brian Kirby (Thomas Davis), Micheal Lyons (St Jude's), Derek Murray (Round Towers, Clondalkin), Mark Davoren (Kilmacud Crokes).

******** FREE BUS SERVICE *********
Fans travelling to this Saturday's football Dubs Stars game in Naomh Mearnog (2.0) can avail of a Dublin Bus courtesy bus service serving the match venue from Portmarnock and Sutton DART stations.

*********** FREE PARKING ******There is free car parking in both Naomh Mearnog and St Sylvester's grounds for this Saturday's Dubs Stars football clash.

Sky Blue

Who was it that started this Cheeky Dubs crap on the old board? Can we have a New Year's resolution to stop it? It's just boring. Sticking "Cheeky Dubs" in front of a sentence doesn't make it funny.

An Lark

AZOffaly

What's the story with the Dub stars? I see it's got 'foreigners' who presumably play in the Dublin county championship, but does it also include county hopefuls? And why are Griffin and Goggins on that team?

Also, I didn't know Shane Ryan was old enough to have a son on the Dublin panel :D

dubnut

Quote from: Sky Blue on January 03, 2007, 12:36:53 PM
Who was it that started this Cheeky Dubs crap on the old board? Can we have a New Year's resolution to stop it? It's just boring. Sticking "Cheeky Dubs" in front of a sentence doesn't make it funny.

I laughed, sorry  :'(

Hound

The Dubs Stars is a team made up of supposedly the best club players in the county last year - so it can include non-Dubs, upcoming Dubs, current Dubs and former Dubs.

Used to be called the Blue Stars, no idea why the change of name.

lynchbhoy

some great picks by Caffrey there.
I think he might have had a behind the scenes chat with the blue sars selectors to get them to pick a couple of Dublin lads in positions Caffrey wants to see them play in.
Some great talent there. Need to see some of them shine at midfield.

Hound

Strong line-ups for January.

Interesting that more senior squad members like Sherlock, Ryan and Cosgrove are obviously giving it another year.

Absent as expected are Andrews (retired), Bastick (cruciate) and Whelan (taking a few months off), but also Paddy Chrisite and Senan Connell. I've no idea what their fitness or status is, but it does suggest they've either retired or have effectively been retired by Pillar.

It also seems to confirm that Eric Miller has not been drafted into the panel.

lynchbhoy

I thought Senan Connell had retired from intercounty.
Even if not, I believe his Dad died in the past week.
God have mercy on him.

tayto

Quote from: An Lark on January 03, 2007, 12:38:24 PM
Yeah, I much prefer...Bastard Dubs

:)

;D ;D ;D ;D

I was just about to say, cheeky dubs aint the worst!

Star Spangler

QuoteI was just about to say, cheeky dubs aint the worst!

Yeah, should have been the durty Dubs after last years visit to the seat of the High Kings.  :P

Josey Whales

paddy looked in fairly good nick in the gym there this week- i doubt very much he has been retired- in fact i think he is away. He isn't anywhere near retired.
Connell has officially retired from intercounty football.-though he has a lot more than that on his mind at the moment.

Hound

Quote from: Josey Whales on January 03, 2007, 07:13:26 PM
Connell has officially retired from intercounty football.-though he has a lot more than that on his mind at the moment.
...meaning??

tayto