Are SDLP and Sinn Feiners on Belfast City Council supporting the sites?

Started by T Fearon, April 23, 2008, 04:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stibhan

Quote from: Solomon Kane on April 23, 2008, 09:12:20 PM
Quote from: stibhan on April 23, 2008, 06:26:49 PM
God, this issue is so simple.

The reason why the stadium has to be in the country is because if it's in Belfast it will almost certainly be in or near an area that will be hostile to either Rugby and the British-Occupied Ireland soccerball XI or hostile to GAA ball- think it's pretty obvious under which lines these sports are divided here, so I shan't provide an explanation.

If anyone seriously thinks that GAA fans or Ni soccer fans could walk through an area of Belfast without getting some serious abuse and being under intense sectarian threats then you're having a laugh. Is there any chance the Ulster Final will get played at Windsor? I doubt it, and you know exactly why. NI's next match at Casement? I'd love to see it...

So simple indeed some people miss the facts altogether. I have been in Belfast shopping one or two Sundays after there have been big matches at Sir Roger Casement Park and there were loads of GAA fans in shirts etc milling around Castle Court and the city centre in general. Like-wise I have seen loads of NI and foreign football fans around Belfast City Centre on match-days. No-one has came to any harm so far. I have also seen hordes of Rugby fans round the likes of Robinsons and The Crown Bar, and no-one seems to have came to any grief getting to Ravenhill and back. THERE ARE ALREADY MAJOR SPORTING EVENTS IN BELFAST. 

Fine then, you tell me where you can fit in a Stadium in Donegal Place or Great Victoria Street? All well and good when you come off with all this talk of "Major sporting events" held in Belfast but "Sir" Roger Casement (his knighthood was downgraded/removed or whatever for treason) Park is in the comfortably Catholic/Nationalist Belfast West, for example. I should hardly think any of the locals have any major opposition to Gaelic Games being played, let alone at a regular basis.

Transport the Stadium (ice cream kiosks and all) to Belfast East, into the heartland of loyalism itself; better yet, put it in the Crumlin Road between the Shankill and the New Lodge known affectionately as "no man's land." Do you really think that people could safely attend Gaelic Games there? Obviously the Stadium isn't up for being Built there, but just beside the Shore Road? Are you serious? I wouldn't even think about bringing myself there, let alone my kids. The Titanic Quarter is in East Belfast, so I shouldn't have to explain myself there. I've been there by myself enough to witness Sectarian abuse -- which isn't to say that it wouldn't be the same in the Falls. I think it would be on account of the idiot minority rather than a considered majority.

It's about safety in this place, not about money or convenience. Safety first. Unless you can find a neutral place to put a stadium you can't attempt to play every sport in it. Long Kesh/Maze or whatever the hell you want to call it seems to be the most viable option in terms of this fundamental issue. Regardless of any economic concerns. If you want to find someone willing to buy a few rows of buildings in central Belfast, knock them down and build a stadium (even as I say this I realise the idiocy of such an idea) go ahead. If not find a suitably safe alternative.

SammyG

Quote from: stibhan on April 23, 2008, 09:31:56 PMLong Kesh/Maze or whatever the hell you want to call it seems to be the most viable option in terms of this fundamental issue.
I'm going to take a guess that you've never been to the Maze site. It is in a staunchly Loyalist area (complete with flegs on lamposts etc) with one road in and out. Assuming that you are genuinely concerned about safety, can you please explain how a ground at the Maze would be safer that a ground in Belfast, which already has all the infrastructure in place?

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

stibhan

Quote from: SammyG on April 23, 2008, 09:36:51 PM
Quote from: stibhan on April 23, 2008, 09:31:56 PMLong Kesh/Maze or whatever the hell you want to call it seems to be the most viable option in terms of this fundamental issue.
I'm going to take a guess that you've never been to the Maze site. It is in a staunchly Loyalist area (complete with flegs on lamposts etc) with one road in and out. Assuming that you are genuinely concerned about safety, can you please explain how a ground at the Maze would be safer that a ground in Belfast, which already has all the infrastructure in place?

The Maze/Long Kesh is hardly surrounded by a litany of housing estates within 2 minutes walk of it, so your point doesn't really compute. Let's be serious here, talking about the low-density population of the country and trying to compare it to a city situation is a little bit futile. It's a little bit easier to steward and police events like these in the country (at the former site of a large jail, you say??!!) than it is in the city, especially one with tribal lines and no-go areas running across it. Let's be serious here- the idea that the maze, a national prison, was anywhere near any houses is laughable. Get real, sweetheart.

Orior

So simple indeed some people miss the facts altogether. I have been in Belfast shopping one or two Sundays after there have been big matches at Sir Roger Casement Park and there were loads of GAA fans in shirts etc milling around Castle Court and the city centre in general. Like-wise I have seen loads of NI and foreign football fans around Belfast City Centre on match-days. No-one has came to any harm so far. I have also seen hordes of Rugby fans round the likes of Robinsons and The Crown Bar, and no-one seems to have came to any grief getting to Ravenhill and back. THERE ARE ALREADY MAJOR SPORTING EVENTS IN BELFAST. 

Spot the difference:

1) 17th March - no tricolours allowed in centre of Belfast

2) 12th July - centre of belfast full of union jacks

You're talking shite SK.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

slow corner back

I love the way all u owcers ignore the point. Do you seriously think anyone in  a a gaa top is safe walking up the lisburn road? Belfast is out of bounds due to the sectarian bigotry rife in the city. The maze or nowhere, personally i prefer nowhere. Let all gAA games be played at Sir Roger Casement park( we are not ashamed of his humanitarian works).  Let rugby be played at ravenhill, let soccer be played at ibrox since windsor park is a sh*t hole which is falling down. As far asb Gordon Brown is concerned you have stuck two fingers up at a free stadium, this offer will not ben made twice,lol you plonkers

Fishbat

Quote from: Orior on April 23, 2008, 10:50:34 PM

Spot the difference:

You're talking shite SK.

Yip that about sums it up, - a vile racist attitude still peddled by unionist toads in city hall, truly jaw dropping bigotry from small minded morons......surely its nearly time to grow up

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Orior on April 23, 2008, 10:50:34 PM

Spot the difference:

You're talking shite SK.

Strange. Obviously you have never been as far as Belfast. I have on St Paddys day, and its coming down with tri-colours. One concert in one small area (Custom House Sq) banned tri-colours in the interests of a harmonious environment, not even that successfully, but don't let your bigotry get in the way of the facts. I have never been in Belfast on the 12th, but no-one is seriously trying to promote that wee day out as an all inclusive festival. f**k knows what two mirror-image days of pissed up malicious spides have to do with anything anyway. The only Gaels harmed at either of those events was the wee bastards acting out a republican feud with sliotars in front of St Annes Cathedral on St Paddys Day.

Anyone with half a brain knows that even without the £240 million plus of public money that the HMP Maze project is a stupid idea anyway. The sports do not need a shared space. £20million to each of them to build or upgrade their existing stadia would be a much better and much less contrversial idea. We could always use the rest to upgrade schools, hospitals and fix the Toome bypass. Selling off the site to private developers would raise a fortune in money for the public purse. Everyone is happy.

Alternatively, I kind of liked Stew's argument why the national stadium should be at the Maze - so that NI fans could walk past the H-Blocks with their heads bowed in shame. Nice. That speaks volumes. 

Main Street

Quote from: Solomon Kane on April 24, 2008, 12:15:07 AM
Selling off the site to private developers would raise a fortune in money for the public purse.
A side point.
The site has fortune value even with no infrastructure?
Do the private developers build the necessary infrastructure to service such a huge project?

Ball DeBeaver

Quote from: stibhan on April 23, 2008, 10:30:25 PM

The Maze/Long Kesh is hardly surrounded by a litany of housing estates within 2 minutes walk of it, so your point doesn't really compute. Let's be serious here, talking about the low-density population of the country and trying to compare it to a city situation is a little bit futile. It's a little bit easier to steward and police events like these in the country (at the former site of a large jail, you say??!!) than it is in the city, especially one with tribal lines and no-go areas running across it. Let's be serious here- the idea that the maze, a national prison, was anywhere near any houses is laughable. Get real, sweetheart.
You obviously don't know either the North Foreshore site, or Titanic area.

North Foreshore site is completely surrounded on all sides by either sea, motorway or industrial units. It is not within 10 minutes walk of any residential area, never mind 2 mins.

Titanic Quarter is surrounded by sea, industrial units, dual carriageway and the nearest inhabited area to it is a wee place called Short Strand.

But don't let your obvoius lack of local knowledge distract you from your wee rant.
ani ohevet et Yisrael.
אני אוהבת את ישראל

nifan

QuoteDo you seriously think anyone in  a a gaa top is safe walking up the lisburn road?

Rregardless of the rst of this argument Ive often seen people walking up the lisburn road in gaa tops, including one strikingly garish purple and yellow top recently - must have been a club jersey but it was horrendous!

Donagh

Bullshit and lies. It's a big empty space in the middle of nowhere surrounded by the M1, A1, A3 and with a railway track nearby.

Donagh

Quote from: nifan on April 24, 2008, 09:21:54 AM
QuoteDo you seriously think anyone in  a a gaa top is safe walking up the lisburn road?

Rregardless of the rst of this argument Ive often seen people walking up the lisburn road in gaa tops, including one strikingly garish purple and yellow top recently - must have been a club jersey but it was horrendous!

The woman tells me repeatedly it's purple and gold. I refuse to believe her.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on April 24, 2008, 10:21:54 AM

Bullshit and lies. It's a big empty space in the middle of nowhere surrounded by the M1, A1, A3 and with a railway track nearby.
Yes it is in the middle of nowhere but the only access (which is what we're talking about, in terms of 'safety') is through a staunchly Loyalist area.