LONG KESH STADIUM PROJECT IN DANGER

Started by reiteoir, December 08, 2006, 10:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reiteoir

I had to laugh last night as I was driving home at a radio report which advised listeners that the much hyped sports stadium at Long Kesh is in danger of being scuppered because of the GAA. The reason being that the reported development of Clones would result in the Ulster Final being played there and not at Long Kesh!!

I found this report amusing for a number of resaons:

1 The headline was that the GAA was responsible for endangering this project - as if it was some sort of sacred cow

2 Who the feck every claimed or stated that the Ulster Final would be played at Long Kesh? I must admit that the arrogance of the report amused me.

The whole tone and manner in which the report was written was anti-GAA. It attempted to protray the Association as pissing on the parade. Bearing in mind the media hype concerning this project and the exaggerated claim that this stadium epitomised a bright new future for the 6 counties then this particular report is at best mischievious and at worst a deliberate attempt to demonise the GAA. Good to see that an anti-nationalist agenda is still live and well within the ranks of the northern media.

AZOffaly

I think, in fact, the most vehement opposition to this proposed stadium is from the supporters of Northern Ireland. Most GAA people seem to not really give a toss either way.

Blacksheep

AZ is right. Nobody I know gives a flying feck one wayor the other. Danny Murphy of Ulster council always said that they could not commit to matches years in advance because election officers may change and fixture are drwan up annually.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Sky Blue

If the British Govt are giving you the use of this stadium without having to invest the capital to build it why waste money on Clones? Use it on coaching.

snatter

sky blue,
you're damn right.
I think that Clones/Monaghan have a damn nerve to try and dictate how the GAA spend €18 million of its own money.
The sole criteria should be what's good for Ulster GAA, not for the rip-off merchants of Clones.

Read carefully what Monaghan are saying:

"We would hope that the government would come up with funding in the region of €12 million, and that the bulk of the remaining outlay would be provided by grants from the GAA and Ulster Council," explained Monaghan chairman John Connolly.

Yep, sign away your right to play your finals where they make most sense, then spend €18 million on the wrong ground, in the wrong location.

And after spending €18 million of our own money, what do we get?
In their own words
"another deck on the covered stand and putting a double deck stand at the road end where there is now terracing."

That's right, a sub standard half stadium, where roughly two thirds of the capacity will be standing and uncovered.

As said before, casement doesn't have the room to expand.

If we go down the Maze route, however, we get a wholly covered, 80% seated proper stadium, in a far better location, for next to nowt.
As for atmosphere, its best when you've got a roof above you to catch the noise.

GrandMasterFlash

Hold on a second lads,

"Clones/Monaghan" are well within their rights to tender for this project. If the Ulster Council see fit they will act accordingly OR, if they disagree then they will pull the floor from under the feet of the people of "Clones/Monaghan" as quick as they removed the Ulster Final out of there over the past few years... If the stadium existed in your town/city you'd be pretty pis*ed if no effort was made to secure the event, irrespective of the lack of infrastructure or services there. What Clones/Monaghan people are doing it's called human nature! And let me point out that the decision will ultimately lie with the powers that be within the Ulster Council, irrespective of what the 'rip-off' merchants of Clones/Monaghan think..

This quote is important;
Quote from: reiteoir on December 08, 2006, 10:16:43 AM
"Bearing in mind the media hype concerning this project and the exaggerated claim that this stadium epitomised a bright new future for the 6 counties

Exactly, when did anyone in their right minds think that this proposed development was gonna build cross-community bridges and solve all issues within NI? Let me say that living in Belfast I'm as much for peace and prosperity as the next man but I take displeasure in hearing that Clones/Monaghan are hi-jackling this agenda, as I said previously Clones/Monaghan will have little say so point the finger at the Ulster Council if you really want someone to blame...  >:(

botman

GMF - spot on.

I'd far rather head to Clones for an Ulster Final (And any match for that matter) than head to this terrorist shine at the Maze thats been peddled by do-gooder and the likes.
I think the idea of a proper stadium at Clones is an excellent idea - so hopefully they don't make an arse of it !

Keep them at it.

snatter

GMF

Re:
"Exactly, when did anyone in their right minds think that this proposed development was gonna build cross-community bridges and solve all issues within NI?"

I have no idea why you're dragging that up.As I've just said

The sole criteria should be what's good for Ulster GAA.

Forget about everything else, eg British govt spin, hysterical NI fans trying to get a wee place of their own, blah, blah

Focus on what we get at the end of the day and how much it costs.
What do you want
A. Half a stadium in an inaccessible far corner of Ulster for €18 million?
B. A proper fully covered stadium in a better place for a lot less?

Botman, with Monaghan's proposals the idea of a proper stadium at Clones, is just that, an idea.
Two thirds of the capacity would still be standing in the pissing rain, dreading a four hour drive home.

OdoSkimodo

Why is the Maze a better location? It's on the East coast hardly a central location

botman

QuoteBotman, with Monaghan's proposals the idea of a proper stadium at Clones, is just that, an idea.

What's your point ? I know it's an Idea - lots of people have them including Martin Luther King and Ghandi

Keep them at it.

Donagh

Quote from: OdoSkimodo on December 08, 2006, 02:56:37 PM
Why is the Maze a better location? It's on the East coast hardly a central location

Besides being nowhere near the coast, it's got a big road running alongside side it and rail tracks.

OdoSkimodo

Sorry in the east of ulster, you know what I meant ;)  still not central by any stretch of the imagination.

Quoteit's got a big road running alongside side it and rail tracks

So we should have the ulster final at the maze based on it's proximity to the M1 (No rail in the west of the province so no use)?

Donagh

Potentially you could have trains running direct from Derry city and Newry. It's an hour and a bit from Enniskillen and Omagh, approx two from Ballybofey.

It takes the between two and three hours to travel to Clones from Belfast and four maybe from North Antrim. Another half hour to get parked and between half an hour and an hour to get out again.

With the Long Kesh project you could travel from Strabane, get parked and be in your seat in around two hours.

armaghniac

However regrettably few people travel to games from Derry city and Antrim rarely play in Clones. Places like West Tyrone and South Armagh where the GAA is strong are convenient enough to Clones. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OdoSkimodo

Potentially you are right. But how many slip roads on and off the M1 are going to service the Maze? How many roads into the site? You are still going to have considerable congestion coming to and going from the maze when you are dealing with crowds of 50,000. I appreciate facilities at the maze will be alot better than Clones but i believe an out of town pristine stadium will lack the intense atmosphere experienced in Clones on ulster final day.

By the way i'm from fermanagh and over two hours away from the maze by car without congestion.