Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: peterquaife on November 05, 2007, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 05, 2007, 04:08:00 PM
Duddy, continually says himself he's nowhere near ready for a world title shot, for some reason I dont believe that he thinks that, I think he's a cocky so'n'so, who think's he's a lot better than he actually is.  Eastman could quite easily beat him.

what is based on? assumptions? top lad and a decent boxer

McCullough to beat Martinez over the distance

PQ

100% based on assumptions, hence the use of the words, 'I think' and 'I believe'. 

peterquaife

Quote from: bennydorano on November 05, 2007, 04:38:02 PM
Quote from: peterquaife on November 05, 2007, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 05, 2007, 04:08:00 PM
Duddy, continually says himself he's nowhere near ready for a world title shot, for some reason I dont believe that he thinks that, I think he's a cocky so'n'so, who think's he's a lot better than he actually is.  Eastman could quite easily beat him.

what is based on? assumptions? top lad and a decent boxer

McCullough to beat Martinez over the distance

PQ

100% based on assumptions, hence the use of the words, 'I think' and 'I believe'. 

nice one

PQ

Handball Ace

I see Andy Murray from Cavan is fighting James Gorman from Belfast on the undercrad to the Duddy fight, a ten rounder for the Irish light welter weight title...

Anyone any idea what Gorman is like?

I have a feeling Murray will take this one, but Goram is from the Shankill as far as I iknow, a tough bastard who will have a large following in the King's Hall

The Iceman

dont think duddy will go anywhere in the long run - seen him in New York, and the "irish" yanks love him, he can fill a stadium here no probs.  Technically I'm not impressed by him, he doesn't seem to have any power or defense and has struggled through messy fights with has been and never were fighters.

I predict Eastman to drop him - HARD
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The Iceman on November 05, 2007, 05:41:52 PM
dont think duddy will go anywhere in the long run - seen him in New York, and the "irish" yanks love him, he can fill a stadium here no probs.  Technically I'm not impressed by him, he doesn't seem to have any power or defense and has struggled through messy fights with has been and never were fighters.

I predict Eastman to drop him - HARD

Whats with the talk a few weeks ago of Duddy challanging Kelly Pavlick.  Duddy found it tough against some bum only a few weeks ago.  Pavlick would give him a lesson in boxing if they two ever met, wouldnt go past 3 rounds.

The Iceman

duddy is surviving at the minute on the hopes of the Irish americans and his bums on seats marketability

he will continue to take the long road to the title and fight journeymen because he will never be good enough

even if he beats eastman look for press releases and statements from his management saying nobody will take fights with him

He doesnt live up to his hype at all - and he knows it  - but fair play - he is earning what he can from a dying sport
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

CiKe

Said a long time ago that Duddy was a lot of hype and not massive amount of substance. I stand by that - leaves himself far too open and has no lateral movement. He can dig but Eastman has a good chin and has operated at much higher level, losing by stoppage only to Miranda (stopped by Pavlik in eliminator to fight Taylor) who is a bigger puncher than Duddy. If Eastman turns it on (which he does all too rarely) he should win handily enough. Andy Lee is much more of a prospect all together.

Didn't see the Dunne-Martinez fight but McCullough has such a good chin he'll likely survive the distance - he cant punch though hence is likely to be used as bit of a punch bag for 10-12 rounds.

Was raging to miss the Kessler-Calzaghe fight as was on holiday. Thought Kessler would just be that bit young and strong so fair dues to Calzaghe. He is a great fighter but he is not an all time great fighter - best five names on his record are Kessler, Eubank, Lacey, Brewer and Mitchell.

Someone mentioned Mosley maybe causing Cotto a few problems. I fancy Mosley to win easily enough, possibly by stoppage. I think he is the bigger puncher and has great chin (don't think he has ever been stopped, despite nearly being down and out in first loss to Forrest) and is still one of the faster fighters in the sport. Cotto on the other hand is reasonably fast, has great power and like Hatton has savage body attack and great stamina. He has frequently been hurt however by much lighter punchers than Mosley. I imagine is a potential fight of the year candidate as don't see Mosley being intimidated by Cotto's strength, hence don't think he will need to box him to win. Mosley TKO round 9. Bloody shame it's on Setanta!

behind the wire

good to see you back chattin about the boxing Cike, you have a mind full of boxing info. you must follow it closely. what ever happened to your old thread, it was full of great info.

i like most other irish fight fans would love to see duddy do well but cant see it. eastman will be by far his biggest test yet and could well beat him. maybe harold will dye his beard blonde again for the craic as well.

wats the craic with this lad haughian. have heard a few people talking about him. where does he fight out of? is he one to watch?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Yer Ma

Quote from: CiKe on November 05, 2007, 10:09:03 PM

Didn't see the Dunne-Martinez fight but McCullough has such a good chin he'll likely survive the distance - he cant punch though hence is likely to be used as bit of a punch bag for 10-12 rounds.

Someone mentioned Mosley maybe causing Cotto a few problems. I fancy Mosley to win easily enough, possibly by stoppage. I think he is the bigger puncher and has great chin (don't think he has ever been stopped, despite nearly being down and out in first loss to Forrest) and is still one of the faster fighters in the sport. Cotto on the other hand is reasonably fast, has great power and like Hatton has savage body attack and great stamina. He has frequently been hurt however by much lighter punchers than Mosley. I imagine is a potential fight of the year candidate as don't see Mosley being intimidated by Cotto's strength, hence don't think he will need to box him to win. Mosley TKO round 9. Bloody shame it's on Setanta!

I agree with your McCullough prediction.

I haven't seen too much of Mosley or Cotto, but have read a lot about their fights. It's a hard one to choose but I think I would favour Mosley too - either way, its shaping up to be a good fight. On the boxing forums the opinions are split on it. My Da has Setanta so if he records it for me I'll get a chance to watch it.

passedit

For those of you like BTW who were sent to bed after Match of the Day last saturday the much maligned BBC has negotiated the rights to show the Calzaghe fight at lunchtime this saturday.
Don't Panic

CiKe

A predictably easy enough win for Froch against Reid last night. No way will he get a shot at Calzaghe though - if Calzaghe was three or four years younger then possibly but not when he has one or two fights left in him. Not that he deserves a shot in any way given the people he has beaten aren't world beaters by any stretch of the imagination - Reid was a good boxer 8-10 years ago but was outboxed by Brian Magee despite dropping him a couple times and was destroyed by Lacy - and we saw what Calzaghe did to him.

Apart from the Moslet Cotto fight tonight, David Haye fights Jean Marc Mormeck in Paris for the right to be called the number one cruiserweight in the world. Haye has awesome power but his chin was tested against Carl Thompson and didn't stand up to well. Mormeck has been in against some big punchers himself and is teak tough. Although he was stopped in 10 rounds by O'Neill Bell a couple years back he won the rematch. He has had many more tough fights than Haye whose stamina has been called into question on many occasions. If it goes past 6 rounds then I think you'd have to fancy Mormeck, before that though I'm not quite sure.

CiKe

Getting all my predictions wrong lately...Cotto wins by UD over Mosley and Haye stops Mormeck in 7th. Haven't seen either yet but Cotto now in line to fight winner of Mayweather v Hatton. Previously I wouldn't have given him a chance against Mayweather as didn't think he would be able to handle his speed and agility but Mosley is quite a bit faster then the Pretty Boy, but now it could be a pick em.... He'd have to start favourite vs Hatton I think as he is the bigger man and heavier puncher - if Hatton wins that could be the fight of the decade never mind of the year - the two of them are non stop action.

glens73

Haye's power got him out of that fight. Brutal finish.

He said he was hurt in the 4th and the wweight he had to lose to make the fight had drained him. He sadi he is not fighting at cruiserweight anymore.

Mosley tried to put a dent in Cotto but couldn't and had to resort to keeping his range. It was a close enough fight scoring wise, but Cotto was the better man. Cotto's defense improved considerably from the Judah fight. He will be very difficult to beat, he is too big for Hatton and I don't think Mayweather could hurt him.

behind the wire

right lads who is going to buy this mayweather hatton fight? have to say im tempted, it better live up to expectations though!!
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

whiskeysteve

how much will it cost and what time will it start (the main event that is, not the coverage)?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w