Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

Last week I seen a cross between some type of big dog and a wire terrier.It was big like a lab but had a terriers head stuck on top of it.Still, a very nice natured creature according to the way he was acting.
I have a golden retreiver,she was sterilised at 7 months and it was expensive though worth it so keep it in mind.Any dog not used for breeding should be fixed, male and female.I worked one time in the dspca in dublin for a few days on their weelend event tent (lights) and seen the sad affect of letting dogs breed uncontrolled.
A rescued animal is something really worthwhile and when I have room I will add one to the gang.My dog is afraid of the neighbours cat, both are the same age and the cat scratched her when they were both small, she never forgot and will always walk well around the cat now.My brother inlaw has a stray that arrived in his yard last year, it had been treated badly and dumped.It would not leave and he started giving him a bit of food, today the dog is very happy and protects the new baby in the house like a prized possession when visitors arrive, very calmly nudges them away from the pram.

Aerlik

Our family in Ireland had a Jack Russell for nearly 17 years.  It survived being run over by the neighbour (accidentally I might add) and poisoned.  It finally keeled over and there was much weeping at the event. 

I don't know if it is a yarn but I once read you should look at the roof of the mouth of the dog.  If it is black it is the sign of a healthy animal.

In Ireland, and the UK, Jack Russells are still not recognised as a breed I believe, and as such are pretty cheap.  However, here in dumbfcuk Oz, clowns pay upwards of $A500 (over £200) for what is basicaly a mongrel.  Ah they do amuse me, my (new) fellow Aussies.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

mannix

Aerlik,
a jack russell is indeed a well known breed and a real one can cost a bit as can any purebred animal.Sounds like you are not enjoying australia too much.Is it summer there yet?

Aerlik

Mannix since when did the Jack Russell become an official breed as stipulated by the Kennel Club?  I read somewhere the Reverend Jack Russell was in the midst of fine tuning the breed when he passed away, thus meaning the animal was not officially recognised.

Aus. is grand.  Helping pay the mortgage.

mannix

Aerlik, i will not argue with you.I always believed they were a well recognised breed.We had one as kids until a P and T van took care of him.I lived in ny and seen lots of jrterriers in apartments and houses and the owners would relish telling me how they were purebred so I assumed they were onto something.Still, they are a nice little dog even if a little feisty.
Is there much money to be made with when the exchange rate is taken into account in aus?  How long are you there and will you be staying?

Aerlik

We'll not talk about the exchange rate.  Very sore point.  Been here 6 years and now (drum roll from Evil Genius...) a citizen as of last Wednesday.

mannix

Congratulations.Sorry to hear about the exchange rate.
G'day tucker.

quit yo jibbajabba

near 2 pages in, and i cant believe no-one has said to ask gerard Cavlan................

ASK GERARD CAVLAN  :)

Main Street

One of our dogs was a dalmation. The dumbest dog I ever had, well compared to the collies.
But I haven't had a braver dog. He would stand his ground chest out and never bow to vastly superior forces.

In summer time we regularily had a posse exercising what they though was their right to cross our yard, 5m from our front door.
The collie would just run in circles barking, the horses wouldn't take a blind bit of notice but when the 9 month old dalmation went out he would stand right in front blocking the way and barking like thunder claps, force the horses away and create mayhem.
They stopped coming after that.

Aerlik

Main Street, wasn't the Dalmation originally bred to act as a guard dog for horse carriages, being tethered to the back of the buggy?  They have great stamina.

Main Street

Dont know about the breeding, they have a huge chest so maybe thats where the stamina comes from, they also have large paws.
They would also stop the bullit meant for you.

stew

We have a yorkie and a puggle. The puggle is a rescued animal and is absolutely brilliant. When we took him they told us he wouldnt shed, they lied the bastards, serves me right for not doing me homework.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

the Deel Rover

my better half is on to me about getting a dog as well, we live in the country so I'd be looking for a good guard dog thats also has a  good temperament with kids any ideas lads.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Sandy Hill

I hate f><King dogs!!!!!!!
"Stercus accidit"

Main Street

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 27, 2007, 09:41:46 AM
my better half is on to me about getting a dog as well, we live in the country so I'd be looking for a good guard dog thats also has a  good temperament with kids any ideas lads.
Border Collie, very smart (mind readers).
Protective, will sniff an intruder from a long distance, make a lot of noise but wont eat them and won't eat your kids either.