The New Mayo.....

Started by Maradona, December 05, 2006, 01:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belleaqua

Quote from: Declan on December 05, 2006, 03:43:49 PM
Was at a SAQ course with Jim Kilty recently. He had some interesting things to say on Mayos "preparation" for this years final. They won't lack for anything in the training/fitness side of things anyway.

Just wondering Declan, how did you become aware of this course. I presume you need lots of previous coaching levels completed already before reaching this standard. The GAA Official Website is slack enough regards such information. Any ideas where to look for information regarding officail GAA coaching courses?

rosnarun

QuoteJim Kilty, a Meath man living in Dublin, worked with Mayo five years ago during Pat Holmes' managerial reign

OH and ther was me getting rexcited about the new dawn. can anyone remember a worse performance than that day in markevicks park.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Kerry Mike

I thought Aidan O'Mahoney retired him in September.....

Sorry I know the wounds are still raw..
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

highking

Kilty did a foundation SAQ course in Bangor Erris last March and did the Level1 there a few weeks ago in Castlebar. Didnt get to the Level1. He's an amiable chap who is very committed to whatever he does. The courses were ran by Mayo County Council Sports Partnership.

Declan

QuoteKilty did a foundation SAQ course in Bangor Erris last March and did the Level1 there a few weeks ago in Castlebar. Didnt get to the Level1. He's an amiable chap who is very committed to whatever he does. The courses were ran by Mayo County Council Sports Partnership.

I did mine in Navan. Course run by Meath Local Sports Partnership and there were GAA,Soccer,Rugby,Basketball, PE teachers etc on it.  Funnily enough Kilty taught me when he was in the Brothers in the 70s and so I was teachers pet during the course which meant doing all the drills. I was wrecked.

He's a good guy and as highking said very committed

MacDanger

QuoteThis is the type of training that the English rugby team does

Probably not a great example to use Johnno........

Bod Mor

What kind of seafoid is this to be goin' on with Maradona. Do ya want to give us all heart attacks this close to Christmas?
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Maradona

Lads, have to hold me hands up and admit my news source was unfounded. Apologies, I've managed to change the title of the thread.
(God, I'm going to kill my sister at Christmas!! - they have nothing better to do down home!)

rosnarun

if you just said your sister was a source. then we'd a least it was a credible story. i mean they know there stuff these swinford? women
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

venter

the fact that macD went to the meeting on saturday shows that he is keen to get back into it. We didnt see him until the league semi final this year.
There are appaently 12 additional players call up along with this years panel . Any ideas on who they are?

mannix

I agree,the fact he was there on saturday is a good sign.
I wonder how much these fellas can put in after the long year they just had,would a longer break for some older seasoned players be of benefit?
I can see all the 2006 panel keen to be involved with omahony in charge,the thing is he has won allirelands at the top leveL (senior) and they were good enough but failed to start spectacularly against kerry.He might be able to get into the minds and start them.
I spoke with one Mayo player that played both 2004 and 2006 finals and he reckoned his legs turned to lead and he was stuck to the ground in both games.
I have watched the 2006 debacle several times for my penance and all I can say is he was not the only one rooted to the ground, no forward out from oneill made any real move to gain possesion and the full back line were terrified apart from brady who did not care who he busted to get the ball and hold it.Brady is going to be a key figure for Mayo at some position,either fb,mf or a target up front somewhere.I think jom will play him where it suits for a particular game and he is a versatile enough player to be used like that.

The only retirements forthcoming are going to be forced ones and we must applaud these players because of the effort they put in and the excitement they bring to Mayo when the ball bounces right for them.

Goodbye till january.

highking

"What kind of seafoid is this to be goin' on with Maradona. Do ya want to give us all heart attacks this close to Christmas?"

Thats the first time Ive ever seen "Seáfoid" written down, I think its a Mayo word, but looks foreign. Anyone know where the word derives from?

PS: Never thought Id see Maradona in the same sentence as "Seáfoid" either.

Tatler Jack

QuoteThats the first time Ive ever seen "Seáfoid" written down, I think its a Mayo word, but looks foreign. Anyone know where the word derives from?

You must not read much Irish HighKing. Seáfoid means  nonsense or rubbish  and I have heard it used in many counties.

Farrandeelin

seafóid, the fada is on the o! ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highking

No dont read much Irish, its a class word though all the same...........