They wouldn't let GAA into schools now would they?

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, August 20, 2007, 09:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

QuoteGAA and soccer coaches to be employed in schools

ULSTER GAA officials have launched a search for 20 coaches to help realise education minister Caitriona Ruane's vision of teaching top-class sporting skills at the earliest possible age. Those appointed will go into primary schools across Northern Ireland and instil their love for Gaelic games. 

The article was in last Friday's Irish News.  I'm not registered so I can't pull full article from archives.   SammyG, you had better get on the blower to those teacher friends of yours: It can't be happening can it?

/Jim.

SammyG

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 20, 2007, 09:31:10 AM

ULSTER GAA officials have launched a search for 20 coaches to help realise education minister Caitriona Ruane's vision of teaching top-class sporting skills at the earliest possible age. Those appointed will go into primary schools across Northern Ireland and instil their love for Gaelic games. 

The article was in last Friday's Irish News.  I'm not registered so I can't pull full article from archives.   SammyG, you had better get on the blower to those teacher friends of yours: It can't be happening can it?

/Jim.

Interesting initative but I think we need to see some detail. It doesn't mention anything about state schools and it only talks about 20 coaches.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: SammyG on August 20, 2007, 09:37:09 AM

/Jim.

Interesting initative but I think we need to see some detail. It doesn't mention anything about state schools and it only talks about 20 coaches.

20 fulltime coaches could cover a lot of ground.  The article stated the IFA were part of the scheme too.  It's didn't mention state schools but it is state run and funded.

/Jim.

SammyG

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 20, 2007, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: SammyG on August 20, 2007, 09:37:09 AM

/Jim.

20 fulltime coaches could cover a lot of ground.  The article stated the IFA were part of the scheme too.  It's didn't mention state schools but it is state run and funded.

/Jim.
That was the point, I was making, the current GAA schools are all (or mostly) state run and funded but they aren't state schools. GAA is not played in state schools and this doesn't have any details of whether that is going to change or not.

Armagh4SamAgain

'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

snatter

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=84263&pt=n

GAA drive for schools

Ulster GAA chiefs have launched their hunt for 20 coaches to help realise Education Minister Caitriona Ruane's vision of teaching top-class sporting skills at the earliest possible age.   

Those appointed will be told to go into primary schools across Northern Ireland and instil their love for Gaelic games.

Ms Ruane is also seeking to recruit the same level of soccer expertise as part of her plan to give boys and girls every opportunity to develop on the pitches.

Fully backed by both the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) and the Irish Football Association (IFA), she wants to make gender and religion irrelevant.

The Minister, whose sporting prowess took her to the courts of Wimbledon said: "This is about boys and girls, children with disabilities and children without disabilities.

"We would hope that soccer and Gaelic games will cross the boundaries and go into different schools.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's hoping that this welcome initiative doesn't get cold shouldered by the NI state school sector.

Imho, this initiative should be extended to create a new competition geared for schools who have never played gaelic games before, something analogous to the Improving Schools competition run by rugby.

After all allowing kids to play sport

Quote from: SammyG on August 12, 2007, 12:32:48 PM
should be nothing to do with Nationalists or Unionists or anything else, it should be about sport.

T Fearon

I don't think IFA coaches should be allowed into Catholic schools until that organisation rids itself of its unionist monocultural ethos.

Armagh4SamAgain

'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

SammyG

Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 09:53:41 AM"We would hope that soccer and Gaelic games will cross the boundaries and go into different schools.
Excellent let's hope it can be achieved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 09:53:41 AM
Here's hoping that this welcome initiative doesn't get cold shouldered by the NI state school sector.
Strange comment, the GAA have political rules that stop schools taking part but in snatter world this is the schools fault.  ::)
Imho, this initiative should be extended to create a new competition geared for schools who have never played gaelic games before, something analogous to the Improving Schools competition run by rugby.
Aye right you wouldn't want the GAA having to mix with those state school yobs, stick them in their own competition.
After all allowing kids to play sport

Quote from: SammyG on August 12, 2007, 12:32:48 PM
should be nothing to do with Nationalists or Unionists or anything else, it should be about sport.
Glad to see you agree.

supersarsfields

Aye right you wouldn't want the GAA having to mix with those state school yobs, stick them in their own competition.

Now Sammy that's not what he meant so stop trying to twist his words. It would hardly be fair putting schools who have only started playing Rugby in a comp with schools that have been playing for decades. Hence the idea to create a new competition that they could realisticly hope to  win.

snatter

Quote from: SammyG on August 20, 2007, 09:58:38 AM
Strange comment, the GAA have political rules that stop schools taking part but in snatter world this is the schools fault.  ::)

Yawn, it has been pointed out to you before that neither the school, teachers or pupils have to be members of the GAA for pupils to play its games or take part in its competitions.

So even if you wrongly believed that you are somehow excluded from membership of the GAA, there is no impediment to playing the games in schools.

Of course you can choose to ignore that reality and fester in your anti GAA bunker if you like.

Quote from: SammyG on August 20, 2007, 09:58:38 AM

The idea of rugby's Improving Schools competition is to introduce the game to weak schools, without them having to endure humiliating defeats by experienced schools.

The Improving Schools competition doesn't just include Catholic schools, it also includes state schools that have never played in schools rugby competitions before.

If the GAA offered an analogous competition, I imagine that it would be targeted at both state schools and Catholic schools that up until now haven't entered GAA competitions.

The idea is not segregation - we've had too much of that for decades - its about introducing hitherto unplayed sports, increasing participation and breakinig down barriers.

If successful, I imagine that the Improving Schools competition would ultimately be consumed into the main competitions.

It could also reduce the hostility to gaelic games, preventing people ending up like irrational anti GAA bigots like you.

thejuice

QuoteMurphy visits new GAA initiatives for Ulster kids

LESS than a week since Ulster GAA came under the spotlight for alleged sectarian harrassment of a Protestant footballer in Fermanagh, its provincial council is involved in a unique cross-border project in East Belfast's unionist heartland.

The area has just one notable catholic enclave --the North Strand -- yet Ulster Council is running a joint sporting camp there this week with the IRFU and FAI.

The Council has joined forces with the two other big team sports in the camp organised by the Knock Presbyterian, Saintfield Road Presbyterian and St Colmcille's Catholic churches at Ashfield Boys School.

Ulster secretary Danny Murphy visited the project yesterday to make a presentation on the history of the GAA.

"We want to reach out to communities that have tended not to involve themselves in our games and we will over the next few months launch a range of initiatives to progress this important work," Murphy said.

"It's good to note that a range of community groups and organisations are working in partnership with us in some new and exciting ways and the GAA wants that to continue," he added.

Ulster GAA Development Officers in all codes -- including Armagh and Tyrone stars Diarmaid Marsden and Ryan Mellon -- have joined with Glentoran's Michael Halliday and Ulster rugby scrum-half Paul Marshall to coach local children throughout the week which will conclude with an ultimate sports tournament, combining all three codes.

These silly accusations are gonna get yis nowhere lads its pot-kettle-black, it seems to me. Its pretty simple let all games be played in all schools. thats it, period. Catholic or Prodestant, who cares. The worst thing would be to pass on this generations ridiculous bigottry on to the next generation. Let the kids decide to play what they like and enjoy the most and facilitate them to best of our powers with what ever resources are available.

No more "why should we if you dont" your wasting your time lads if your gonna keep that shite up.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

snatter

Quote from: thejuice on August 20, 2007, 10:43:32 AM
QuoteMurphy visits new GAA initiatives for Ulster kids

LESS than a week since Ulster GAA came under the spotlight for alleged sectarian harrassment of a Protestant footballer in Fermanagh, its provincial council is involved in a unique cross-border project in East Belfast's unionist heartland.

The area has just one notable catholic enclave --the North Strand -- yet Ulster Council is running a joint sporting camp there this week with the IRFU and FAI.

The Council has joined forces with the two other big team sports in the camp organised by the Knock Presbyterian, Saintfield Road Presbyterian and St Colmcille's Catholic churches at Ashfield Boys School.

Ulster secretary Danny Murphy visited the project yesterday to make a presentation on the history of the GAA.

"We want to reach out to communities that have tended not to involve themselves in our games and we will over the next few months launch a range of initiatives to progress this important work," Murphy said.

"It's good to note that a range of community groups and organisations are working in partnership with us in some new and exciting ways and the GAA wants that to continue," he added.

Ulster GAA Development Officers in all codes -- including Armagh and Tyrone stars Diarmaid Marsden and Ryan Mellon -- have joined with Glentoran's Michael Halliday and Ulster rugby scrum-half Paul Marshall to coach local children throughout the week which will conclude with an ultimate sports tournament, combining all three codes.

These silly accusations are gonna get yis nowhere lads its pot-kettle-black, it seems to me. Its pretty simple let all games be played in all schools. thats it, period. Catholic or Prodestant, who cares. The worst thing would be to pass on this generations ridiculous bigottry on to the next generation. Let the kids decide to play what they like and enjoy the most and facilitate them to best of our powers with what ever resources are available.

No more "why should we if you dont" your wasting your time lads if your gonna keep that shite up.

thats what everybody here, with the exception of Sammy G and fearon appear to be saying.

Sammy wrongly states that "the GAA have political rules that stop schools taking part ".
It has been pointed out by many posters previously that this is bollocks, but he still repeats it.
Any excuse to keep gaelic games out of state schools in NI is my guess.

Fearon is either being sarcastic or an arse - I don't know which.

lynchbhoy

getting kids to play sports is essential , as our society and additive loaded food is causing obeisity/health/fitness problems that will get worse as kids get older

so this is a great initiative for that reason alone imo

Billys Boots

QuoteI think sport in schols is a good ting.

Not as important as literacy Shane!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...