IFA's Football without Frontiers initiative

Started by T Fearon, June 08, 2007, 01:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteUEFA and FIFA currently oppose a joint NI/ROI team.

well the first step to changing this would be for a realistic proposal to emerge and for someone to ask them!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Solomon Kane

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2007, 10:51:05 AM
QuoteUEFA and FIFA currently oppose a joint NI/ROI team.

well the first step to changing this would be for a realistic proposal to emerge and for someone to ask them!

Do you really believe the footballing bodies would countenance muddying the waters of their rules regarding political boundaries just to appease the political aspirations of Irish nationalists? What sort of precedent would that set in other situations? Gibraltar have recently been recognised as a footballing nation, much to the annoyance of many in Spain. Whether they are annoyed about it or not, Gibraltar is technically not part of the Spanish state. The Basque region has played as a team, but is not recognised as a nation by the footballing authorities as it has no political status.

armaghniac

QuoteWhat sort of precedent would that set in other situations?

FIFA doesn't want to mess with contentious situations, in this case both governments would support the proposal, so there is no dispute, except perhaps from some who want their own sectarian football team.

Tonto

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2007, 01:34:28 PM

FIFA doesn't want to mess with contentious situations, in this case both governments would support the proposal, so there is no dispute, except perhaps from some who want their own sectarian football team.

The Northern Ireland team, thankfully, have never been a sectarian team - just ask Jennings, Taggart, O'Neill, Armstrong and numerous others who ave been proud to represent the country of their birth.

Solomon Kane

You're just not worth debating with, are you? BTW, "both governments" have f**k all to say about this because FIFA do not take kindly to political interferance.

Uladh

Quote from: Tonto on June 09, 2007, 02:11:10 PM
The Northern Ireland team, thankfully, have never been a sectarian team - just ask Jennings, Taggart, O'Neill, Armstrong and numerous others who ave been proud to represent the country of their birth.

Neil Lennon?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stew

Ask Jennings if he is Irish or Northern Irish and see what sort of response you get tonto.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

SammyG

Quote from: Uladh on June 09, 2007, 03:24:37 PM

Neil Lennon?

When did Neil Lennon ever have any problems with sectarianism?

armaghniac

QuoteBTW, "both governments" have f**k all to say about this because FIFA do not take kindly to political interferance.

My point was that no proposal was ever put to FIFA. What harm is there in asking them? While they don't like political interference, this would be a coming together of football people, not governments as such. Also FIFA are not exactly fans of places like NI that are neither countries not states having a team, this sets a worse precedent.

As to NI having a sectarian team, by that I meant that the entity it represented was sectarian, as that is why NI was established. This is not a comment directed at the team itself, although there have been a few problems there too.

SammyG

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2007, 06:08:02 PM
QuoteBTW, "both governments" have f**k all to say about this because FIFA do not take kindly to political interferance.

My point was that no proposal was ever put to FIFA. What harm is there in asking them? While they don't like political interference, this would be a coming together of football people, not governments as such. Also FIFA are not exactly fans of places like NI that are neither countries not states having a team, this sets a worse precedent.

You don't half talk some shite. FIFA/UEFA will not allow two separate countries to form one team, not now not ever. It would be the end of international football as we know it. What possible justification would there be for asking them to change their rules, especially as neither the FAI or IFA want it, the fans of the two teams don't want it (with the exception of a few nutters, most of whom have never been to a match) and I'd doubt if the players would want it as it would reduce their chances of getting a game.

armaghniac

QuoteYou don't half talk some shite.

translation from Ulster Scots - you disagree with me

Quotewith the exception of a few nutters, most of whom have never been to a match)

et tu, Sammy, as a few posts earlier you said you'd welcome the FAI coming back into the IFA!

Solomon Kane

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2007, 06:08:02 PM

As to NI having a sectarian team, by that I meant that the entity it represented was sectarian, as that is why NI was established. This is not a comment directed at the team itself, although there have been a few problems there too.

A fair enough argument, but not one I agree with. If the "entity" as put it is sectarian, does it not logically follow then that the Irish Republic is also sectarian?

armaghniac

QuoteIf the "entity" as put it is sectarian, does it not logically follow then that the Irish Republic is also sectarian?

No.

The IFA was established in the 19th century reflecting a geographic unit. Politics meant that Ireland became partitioned in the 1920's, this should be matter of regret for all Irish people. You can argue that it was necessary as other things would be lost from leaving the UK, or (as I would argue) unecessary, but it has  many disadvantages either way. I argue that whatever political differences exist, that it should not be necessary for sporting organisations, goldfish breeders, drama societies etc to organise them in a divided way.

SammyG

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2007, 11:35:40 PM
QuoteIf the "entity" as put it is sectarian, does it not logically follow then that the Irish Republic is also sectarian?

No.

The IFA was established in the 19th century reflecting a geographic unit. Politics meant that Ireland became partitioned in the 1920's, this should be matter of regret for all Irish people. You can argue that it was necessary as other things would be lost from leaving the UK, or (as I would argue) unecessary, but it has  many disadvantages either way. I argue that whatever political differences exist, that it should not be necessary for sporting organisations, goldfish breeders, drama societies etc to organise them in a divided way.

So by that logic there should only be one team called 'The World' as all other borders are just political entities and have no place in sporting organisations. Or have I missed something?