Maddie's parents shocked...

Started by pintsofguinness, June 06, 2007, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

at being asked at a press conference if they had anything to do with the disappearance. first news item on the lunch time news. but it gets better..the mum insists they are responsible parents and very few people are criticising them!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

SuperMac

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 06, 2007, 01:37:08 PM
at being asked at a press conference if they had anything to do with the disappearance. first news item on the lunch time news. but it gets better..the mum insists they are responsible parents and very few people are criticising them!

" but it gets better ". Cann't see what's so funny pal, a child abducted. I suppose it will be even funnier if they find a dead body,..... ** Edited by Mod 3 ""

Syd

I think the worm has well and truly turned in this, whatever sympathy they had, and everyone feels for them, is being slowly eroded by their lust for attention. I am just waiting for news of the book deal, chatshow, etc. MBE is already in the post i would think. Its all getting a bit tasteless on their part. I hope their other 2 kids are being well looked after while they tour the world in a private jet.

pintsofguinness

did i say there was anything funny about it **Edited by Mod 3**? as for your comment about dead child its not worth a response!

saffron

QuoteI think the worm has well and truly turned in this, whatever sympathy they had, and everyone feels for them, is being slowly eroded by their lust for attention. I am just waiting for news of the book deal, chatshow, etc. MBE is already in the post i would think. Its all getting a bit tasteless on their part. I hope their other 2 kids are being well looked after while they tour the world in a private jet.

Idiot. Of course if it was your child you'd just let it lie.

Syd

Quote from: saffron on June 06, 2007, 02:27:39 PM
QuoteI think the worm has well and truly turned in this, whatever sympathy they had, and everyone feels for them, is being slowly eroded by their lust for attention. I am just waiting for news of the book deal, chatshow, etc. MBE is already in the post i would think. Its all getting a bit tasteless on their part. I hope their other 2 kids are being well looked after while they tour the world in a private jet.

The issue i am talking about is the treatment they are receiving compared to everyone else in similar situation. Do you not think there are people employed trying to find her, Portugese police, English police, Interpol etc. There is a jazz festival they are attending in "memory" of Maddie tomorrow night in Lagos.......Pull the bones out of that one.

An Fear Rua

During a press conference, Sabina Mueller from German Radio asked: "How do you feel about the fact that more and more people seem to be pointing the finger at you, saying the way you behave is not the way people would normally behave when their child is abducted and they seem to imply that you might have something to do with it?"

Mrs McCann replied: "To be honest, I don't actually think that is the case. I think that is a very small minority of people that are criticising us.

"I have never heard before that anyone considers us suspects in this and the Portuguese police certainly don't.

Mr McCann said: "Without going into too much detail, we were with a large group of people, and you know there is absolutely no way Kate and I are involved in this abduction."

During the conference Mrs McCann also said that the trips around Europe were "not easy".

She said: "A day like today is very intense but it is actually just one day. We do have a lot of time back with the children, Sean and Amelie.

"We are doing this for a purpose, to try and find our daughter and to try and get Madeleine back - that is very important to us and Madeleine."

Its a harsh question, but a fair one.
Its Grim up North

Louth Exile

Quote from: Syd on June 06, 2007, 02:41:17 PM
Quote from: saffron on June 06, 2007, 02:27:39 PM

The issue i am talking about is the treatment they are receiving compared to everyone else in similar situation. Do you not think there are people employed trying to find her, Portugese police, English police, Interpol etc. There is a jazz festival they are attending in "memory" of Maddie tomorrow night in Lagos.......Pull the bones out of that one.

I would find myself diagreeing with a lot of Syd's comments but i by in large agree with him here. My brother works with childrens charities and they can't understand how an English girl missing in Portugal is getting more Irish media coverage than if it was an Irish child who went missing here. I do have the utmost sympathy for the poor child, but I don't understand what good a poster of her behind the hill 16 goal was on Sunday. I also don't understand why Lorraine Keane and TV3 are looking to raise funds for this appeal. I reiterate that it is a desperate thing to happen to any child but why should the Irish media give this more coverage than if it was one of our own?
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

High Catch

Have to agree with Louth Exile on this one.  It is a very very sad situation as everybody knows.  But it is getting way too much publicity over here.  And the parents are not doing themselves any favours with their actions i.e. private jets, globe trotting.  I really do feel for them but maybe they should should stay away from the media for a while.

full back

It is a catch 22 for the parents concerning the media.
No doubt they are courting the media & using it to help them, but like posters on the board-a lot of people are questioning their actions.
On the other hand if they dont have the media, there case will disappear from the spotlight & off the radar therefore diminishing the chances of the child ever being spotted again

AZOffaly

It's a double edged sword though. If they stay out of the media then the search will die away. I'm sure they've been advised that the best hope of finding her is to keep it in the public eye.

Whatever about the circumstances of the kidnapping originally, I think they are doing their best to try and recover the poor girl.

As regards the relative coverage compared to the hundreds of other kids that go missing every year, well that is a different issue regarding what constitutes 'news' but even so, you can hardly blame the parents for leveraging everything they can.

The day they give up, and go home to England, is the day they can really start to plan for life without their little girl.

Louth Exile

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2007, 03:32:57 PM
As regards the relative coverage compared to the hundreds of other kids that go missing every year, well that is a different issue regarding what constitutes 'news' but even so, you can hardly blame the parents for leveraging everything they can.

AZ, agree with you, you can not blame the parents for leveraging everything they can, I think most of us would do the same. I think the point is the relative merits of the media in what makes news and what doesn't. They should take a more even handed approach.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

down22

QuoteThe day they give up, and go home to England, is the day they can really start to plan for life without their little girl.

Exactly. I'm uneasy about the sheer amount of media coverage they're able to generate. I feel terrible for all the other families with missing relatives who haven't got the same media coverage. But I can't blame the McCann's fortrying to move heaven and earth to try and get their daughter back.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2007, 03:32:57 PM
It's a double edged sword though. If they stay out of the media then the search will die away. I'm sure they've been advised that the best hope of finding her is to keep it in the public eye.

Whatever about the circumstances of the kidnapping originally, I think they are doing their best to try and recover the poor girl.

The day they give up, and go home to England, is the day they can really start to plan for life without their little girl.

Great post AZ.

The parents are right to do every thing they can to find their daughter.  As always you will get some people who would have to make such comments complaining about the parents. But the parents wont care as long as they get her back, which is doubtful.

pintsofguinness

maybe the media are afraid if they criticise the parents they too will be accused of hoping the child turns up dead. you didn't come back to defend your comments supermac. while i can understand the need of the parents to keep it in the spotlight they've crossed the line. judging by the mother's comments at the press conference she hasn't accepted they done anything wrong that night. they do not come across as people who've got a child missing. the uncle was on the ITV news and there wasn't a trace of emotion or sadness, he could have been talking about flowers.