Time to end corona virus restrictions

Started by trileacman, August 22, 2020, 10:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Is it now time to slowly remove the restrictions? Vast majority of people I've been talking to lately want some form of the restrictions lifted be it on rural pubs/ GAA matches/ weddings/ funerals/ parties. It now seems the greater amount of public opinion is against the continued economic and social damage associated with the virus with almost everyone expecting some concession to allow their own life to return to a normality.

This is not to do with the yellow vest/anti-masker protest. It's a general observation that public opinion is shifting against the restrictions and no government can hope to continue such a wide ranging policy that doesn't hold favor with the public.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ONeill

Yeah, but the majority of people are fairly stupid.

That's why we have Trump and Boris in charge.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

A lot of the restrictions is down to people not doing the right thing and that's why the virus continues to spread.

There was restrictions with funerals, pubs, sport, etc and people wouldn't abide by them. So we are where we are.

From the Bunker

From all of this we have multiple layers of Fear.

I don't have any fear of this damn thing. I respect the notion of keeping it under control. But it's not going to determine how I live or take control of my life.

You either get busy living or you get busy dying!

Youth and the healthy should be encouraged to live, while there should be supports in place to protect the old and those with health conditions.

sid waddell

Quote from: trileacman on August 22, 2020, 10:19:26 PM
Is it now time to slowly remove the restrictions? Vast majority of people I've been talking to lately want some form of the restrictions lifted be it on rural pubs/ GAA matches/ weddings/ funerals/ parties. It now seems the greater amount of public opinion is against the continued economic and social damage associated with the virus with almost everyone expecting some concession to allow their own life to return to a normality.

This is not to do with the yellow vest/anti-masker protest. It's a general observation that public opinion is shifting against the restrictions and no government can hope to continue such a wide ranging policy that doesn't hold favor with the public.
Everybody is against economic and social damage

Removing restrictions would likely cause much greater economic and social damage

Everybody is against a pandemic

But you can't wish a pandemic away

A pandemic is not like, say, a terrorist threat

It doesn't care if you "don't want to give in to it"

It'll just keep coming

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 22, 2020, 11:39:34 PM

I don't have any fear of this damn thing. I respect the notion of keeping it under control. But it's not going to determine how I live or take control of my life.

Youth and the healthy should be encouraged to live, while there should be supports in place to protect the old and those with health conditions.

Such as?

The vast majority of us are that person with health problems, or are living with, related to or working with someone at risk. It's everyones duty to do the right thing.

sid waddell

This seems a very general post with not much meat on the bones, could you expand please

Captain Obvious

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged..

sid waddell

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 22, 2020, 11:58:31 PM

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged..
Humans are more adaptable than any other species on earth

bennydorano

Every is fine & dandy until you or someone close to you gets seriously sick.

Rossfan

there should be supports in place to protect the old and those with health conditions.
Yes.
They're called ICUs ya selfish *****.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

there should be supports in place to protect the old and those with health conditions.

Quote from: bennydorano on August 23, 2020, 12:03:47 AM
Every is fine & dandy until you or someone close to you gets seriously sick.

Yes, I have had people close to me get seriously sick and Die, but not from Covid. People can die from many things in this world. If we took all the precautions in the world, maybe less would die, but people would still die. We seem to be putting a lot of eggs into the covid only basket.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on August 23, 2020, 12:14:12 AM
Yes.

I'm talking about supports to make sure these people don't get infected in the first place. Supports that will help them do as many of the (so called) normal stuff in life. make things safer.

Rossfan

That means keeping them away from the rest of society.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 23, 2020, 12:20:47 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 23, 2020, 12:14:12 AM
Yes.

I'm talking about supports to make sure these people don't get infected in the first place. Supports that will help them do as many of the (so called) normal stuff in life. make things safer.

Such as compulsory wearing of masks in shops? There's still a lot of pricks who aren't doing that. So, that's a "support in place"  to help everyone, particularly the vulnerable. But I'm sure when some vulnerable people seeing non compliance of mask wearing, they'll feel less likely to do one of their "normal stuff in life", ie. visit their local shop.