'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on April 23, 2018, 04:18:06 PM
Yeah, move it out.

By the way, Twitter and Facebook would have had you convinced that Brexit was for slaughtering.

Problem is social media is full of young people who are quick to click "like", but are unable to make their way to a voting booth.

Abortion is not the same as choosing between generic middle-aged men in suits in elections and a closer analogy is the marriage referendum when it comes to youth engagement. Aka historically high. You're detached from the reality of this one and your dismissal of the platforms that drove a lot of the social change in recent years tells me that by itself.

Jinxy

Quote from: longballin on April 23, 2018, 04:41:47 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 23, 2018, 04:15:59 PM
Quote from: westbound on April 23, 2018, 04:11:18 PM
Maybe it's time to move this away from the GAA thread!

+1000
It's giving me a headache.

Was Harte and co dragged it into the GAA arena.

Yeah, and while we were actually discussing that, it was an interesting thread.
Now, it just seems to be people making arguments for/against abortion.
Not the place for it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Snapchap

+1000

Really? Jinxy's twitter link above (UL GAA Club account posting photo of a 'Yes' Campaign meeting) was posted on 30th March. Harte's intervention was on 21st April.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Snapchap on April 23, 2018, 04:52:24 PM

+1000

Really? Jinxy's twitter link above (UL GAA Club account posting photo of a 'Yes' Campaign meeting) was posted on 30th March. Harte's intervention was on 21st April.
That UL tweet was for 2016 though, presumably some SU referendum that was on in the college at the time.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on April 23, 2018, 04:50:49 PM
Yeah, move it out.

By the way, Twitter and Facebook would have had you convinced that Brexit was for slaughtering.

Problem is social media is full of young people who are quick to click "like", but are unable to make their way to a voting booth.

Abortion is not the same as choosing between generic middle-aged men in suits in elections and a closer analogy is the marriage referendum when it comes to youth engagement. Aka historically high. You're detached from the reality of this one and your dismissal of the platforms that drove a lot of the social change in recent years tells me that by itself.

Could you try and have a discussion without being patronising, dismissive and personally insulting?
You're well capable of making an argument without resorting to that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

thewobbler

Quote from: Tubberman on April 23, 2018, 05:01:37 PM
Yeah, move it out.

Could you try and have a discussion without being patronising, dismissive and personally insulting?

He fundamentally believes in technology, and can't entertain the thought that people who've spent 50+ years in Catholic Ireland might not have their opinion swayed by social media.

FWIW, I expect it to be repealed. But I also expect a rubbish turnout, especially from people aged 18-35, which will make it a closer contest than i should be.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on April 23, 2018, 04:52:00 PM

+1000

Not the place for it.
Time to lock it Jinxy.
Most people disagree with thone folks' attempt to hijack the GAA.
Let the Referendum have its own thread.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Yeah, move it out.

Interesting that you focused on my post being apparently patronising and not the post that precipitated that reply.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on April 23, 2018, 04:52:00 PM

+1000

Not the place for it.
You're right Jinxy. Lock this thread because it has degenerated into the usual dogfight between the usual suspects and Mickey & Co. and their motives are being ignored by all sides.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tonto1888

Did they change their name from GAA athletes.... to Gaelic athletes....?
Either way I think using Gaelic in their titles gives the impression that the GAA are backing them and is very mischievous

Eamonnca1

The Official Guide should be updated. It's no longer enough that it should be "non-party political," it should be "non-political." We should be able to discipline anyone using the GAA's name in a political campaign whether it's an election or a referendum.

Jinxy

Heard Alan Milton on the radio when I was driving home.
Pretty much said that the GAA can't stop people using the word 'GAA' for things like this, which I was a bit surprised at.
Got the impression they were going to get in touch with Mickey & Co. about it anyway.
Will probably ask them to publicly state that they are not representing the GAA.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on April 23, 2018, 05:37:02 PM
Yeah, move it out.

Interesting that you focused on my post being apparently patronising and not the post that precipitated that reply.

Your idol Paddy Joe Burke was interviewed one time and stated that he always had very good manners when he went to a match because his behavior (good or bad) was a reflection on his beloved Roscommon

You should think about taking a leaf out of his book

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Syferus