'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: trileacman on April 22, 2018, 03:16:34 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 22, 2018, 01:26:32 PM
No, because I'm not a member of the GPA.

The dissociation between the GPA and the GAA is tenuous at the very least given that the GPA is now a fully endorsed and funded wing of the GAA.

The groups name and location of their event may cross a line in the rule book but there's a hugely disproportionate reaction to it. Had Harte not been involved I doubt if this would have reached a full page of comment. Had the group been supporting repeal I doubt if comment would have been passed at all on this board.

There has been a succession of reasons as to its impropriety, each more desperate than the last, first was the name (since debunked), second was the "nationality" of those passing comment (also challenged), then there was the venue and lastly has been the programme for the day. To me it seems people are much more willing to challenge the group than they are challenge the argument they are supporting.

It's become a rather typical response in discourse nowadays, playing the man and not the ball etc. If you believe strongly in repealing the 8th it should be easy to rebuke this group views and arguments rather than having to deny their right to lobby due to rather minor infringements of the GAA's rule book.

I've no dog in this fight, do as you wish with the 8th amendment. However I'm tired of opinion or comment being stifled instead of being countered.

Eh, that's exactly the point.
Thought that was pretty obvious.
The argument isn't the problem.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Abortion meeting cancelled because GAA 'has to stay neutral' - club boss

'The club informed the People Before Profit (PBP) party it could not use the space on Thursday, less than five hours before the meeting was due to begin.

Chairman of the club ,Brendan O Connalain, said the decision was made because the GAA could not be seen to promote either side in a possible abortion referendum.'

https://www.herald.ie/news/abortion-meeting-cancelled-because-gaa-has-to-stay-neutral-club-boss-34999655.html

Can't remember if we discussed it here at the time but I remember arguing with several pro-choice people on social media about this incident.
They didn't think it was a political issue, I argued it was.
This isn't me having a go at Mickey Harte or trying to deny him a voice, I just believe the association needs to steer well clear (and be KEPT well clear) of this stuff.

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on April 22, 2018, 03:35:04 PM
If you believe in aborting people then you are hardly likely to refrain from playing the man if he is in your way.

What a pathetic description of the pro-choice side.

sid waddell

Joe Sheridan had no problem illegally and unjustly repealing the ninth* in 2010.

What a hypocrite.

*Leinster title for Louth

Jinxy

This group are being referred to as 'GAA athletes for a No vote' in multiple media reports now.
I doubt some reporter just decided to make up a name for them so I'd be curious to know who told them it was called that.

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte fronts GAA anti-abortion group

'The group, GAA Athletes for a No Vote, was launched in Dublin on Saturday.'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43856580

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on April 22, 2018, 05:55:46 PM
This group are being referred to as 'GAA athletes for a No vote' in multiple media reports now.
I doubt some reporter just decided to make up a name for them so I'd be curious to know who told them it was called that.

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte fronts GAA anti-abortion group

'The group, GAA Athletes for a No Vote, was launched in Dublin on Saturday.'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43856580
They could have called it Angelus fans or Dunnes shoppers for No but GAA has more cachet.
The GAA should come down heavy on this misuse of the Association's brand
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Mickey Harte, and the others involved, are entitled to their opinions. However, I don't believe they should have called they're wee group GAA athletes

GetOverTheBar

No harm to Mickey Harte, he's manager of the Tyrone Senior Football team. He should stick to that instead of getting involved in a debate which he can't even vote in.

Creating a sideshow, obviously as a Tyrone fellow I'd like to be able to vote in Irish affairs, but we can't. What's he at. Someone be safer having a word with him to be honest.

Orchard park

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 22, 2018, 06:22:26 PM
No harm to Mickey Harte, he's manager of the Tyrone Senior Football team. He should stick to that instead of getting involved in a debate which he can't even vote in.

Creating a sideshow, obviously as a Tyrone fellow I'd like to be able to vote in Irish affairs, but we can't. What's he at. Someone be safer having a word with him to be honest.

At last a Tyrone man with no chips on shoulders calling it as it is

lenny

Quote from: Jinxy on April 22, 2018, 03:42:27 PM
Abortion meeting cancelled because GAA 'has to stay neutral' - club boss

'The club informed the People Before Profit (PBP) party it could not use the space on Thursday, less than five hours before the meeting was due to begin.

Chairman of the club ,Brendan O Connalain, said the decision was made because the GAA could not be seen to promote either side in a possible abortion referendum.'

https://www.herald.ie/news/abortion-meeting-cancelled-because-gaa-has-to-stay-neutral-club-boss-34999655.html

Can't remember if we discussed it here at the time but I remember arguing with several pro-choice people on social media about this incident.
They didn't think it was a political issue, I argued it was.
This isn't me having a go at Mickey Harte or trying to deny him a voice, I just believe the association needs to steer well clear (and be KEPT well clear) of this stuff.

Totally agree. Harte should get a suspension for this but probably won't.

Itchy

No vote is going to win this election. They look much better organised on the ground. Every where I go I see no posters, nothing from the yes side or the major parties.

larryin89

Quote from: Itchy on April 22, 2018, 06:40:45 PM
No vote is going to win this election. They look much better organised on the ground. Every where I go I see no posters, nothing from the yes side or the major parties.

Pretty sure the opinion polls say different. 63% .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

The people who will vote Yes don't get their news from papers or direction from political parties. The Yes side is by and large younger and far more tech savvy so trying to judge it on posters is ludicrous. There's a massive campaign to crowdfund tickets for exiles to return to vote Yes. The Yes side have been mobilised for this moment for at least a decade at this stage. It will not be a contest.

LooseCannon

Unfortunately, only a matter of time before the NO posters are pulled down unfortunately, that's if you live in an urban environment.

seafoid

I think it was 5000 abortions a year in England for the last 25 years.
125000 women with 125000 men is 250K or maybe 10% of the electorate
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU