Israel Folau

Started by GetOverTheBar, April 10, 2018, 02:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Outstanding athlete, outstanding rugby player.

But, this thread is about the man and his views.

Everyone has the right to their views, rightly so, Folau views on gay marriage / gay people due to religious beliefs have caused more than some trouble on a number of occasions now.

Is there a place for this in the modern world? Qantas are furious but Australian Rugby has essentially given him a slap on the wrist.

Australia has just legalised same sex marriage - David Pocock has and is a major public figure in that campaign. An interesting side note when they meet up for Wallaby duty.

Started the thread really to see what people thought of Folau's actions and, maybe, a welcome change from the rugby troubles at home that have been much publicised.

Syferus

I have no tolerance for intolerance hidden behind religion. It is no longer an acceptable excuse.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2018, 02:58:13 PM
I have no tolerance for intolerance...
There is a paradox if ever I saw one!

seafoid

He shouldn't publicise his views on gay people. It's not that they have any choice about having a different sexuality.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 10, 2018, 03:50:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2018, 02:58:13 PM
I have no tolerance for intolerance...
There is a paradox if ever I saw one!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

"The paradox of tolerance was described by Karl Popper in 1945. The paradox states that if a society is tolerant without limit, their ability to be tolerant will eventually be seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Popper came to the seemingly paradoxical conclusion that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance."

Orchard park

i really dont give a flying continental what he thinks

tonto1888

Quote from: Orchard park on April 10, 2018, 04:17:15 PM
i really dont give a flying continental what he thinks

Why take the time to comment then?

His views, religious as they may be, are wrong

DuffleKing

Disagree with him entirely but he is entitled to his own opinions. He's also entitled to express them - particularly in a personal format. If he starts inciting action against people whose lifestyle he disagrees with then that's a different matter.

Asal Mor

Qantas are threatening to withdraw their sponsorship of the Wallabies over Folau's comments. Several commentators have pointed out the hypocrisy from an airline that is in partnership with Emirates, an airline from a country where homosexuality is illegal.

That's how principles work in this capitalist world. If I'm paying you'd better abide by my principles or else.... If you're paying we can abide by yours.

Asal Mor

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 10, 2018, 10:28:43 PM

Disagree with him entirely but he is entitled to his own opinions. He's also entitled to express them - particularly in a personal format. If he starts inciting action against people whose lifestyle he disagrees with then that's a different matter.
+1

oliverkelly

Quote from: Asal Mor on April 14, 2018, 09:12:00 AM
Qantas are threatening to withdraw their sponsorship of the Wallabies over Folau's comments. Several commentators have pointed out the hypocrisy from an airline that is in partnership with Emirates, an airline from a country where homosexuality is illegal.

That's how principles work in this capitalist world. If I'm paying you'd better abide by my principles or else.... If you're paying we can abide by yours.

Quantas CEO is homosexual. Originally from Dublin

naka

Think this hits the nail on the head.

GetOverTheBar

Talk he's off to the NRL now as a response.

Syferus

No one is entitled to opinion without consequence. If he wants to hold those views he should expect a reaction as they are counter to the values of the western society he benefits from.

sid waddell

Of course he's entitled to his opinions.

But, like Mr. Jackson and Mr. Olding, if he wants to express such opinions or behave in a certain way without sanction, he shouldn't then freely sign a contract containing behavioural clauses or adherence to a code of conduct which, if broken, will result in sanction.

That's called trying to have your cake and eat it.