Learning to drive

Started by Boycey, August 10, 2017, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Do you have to do a set number of lessons with a driving school?

Best of luck and don't feel presurised into speeding and listen to your instructor.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fat Angry Motorist

Contrary to what some of the grumpy, self entitled pricks on the board would have you think, there aren't tens of thousands of cyclists on the roads every day.  Watch out for the hundreds of joggers who push people in front of cars.  It happens all the time.
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

RedHand88

Quote from: Fat Angry Motorist on August 10, 2017, 04:25:31 PM
Contrary to what some of the grumpy, self entitled pricks on the board would have you think, there aren't tens of thousands of cyclists on the roads every day.  Watch out for the hundreds of joggers who push people in front of cars.  It happens all the time.

Really?

Boycey

Thanks guys!

Not really sure why I never learned, I was a townie growing up so never really entered my head. Went to college and then London where I didn't need one and when I came back in my mid 20s it was always on my to do list and as I got older and I didn't do it I think I got embarrassed about it but now I have to and must do is a great master..

Had another lesson this morning and this absolute weapon insisted on overtaking me on a small road just before a bad bend, he had been trying for several hundred yards. The instructor said I wasn't even going slow but I think he just couldn't bear to be behind a learner. It bothered the instructor more than me, I'm a mellow enough person...

No bother with cyclists yet  ;D

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on August 10, 2017, 05:21:29 PM
Thanks guys!

Not really sure why I never learned, I was a townie growing up so never really entered my head. Went to college and then London where I didn't need one and when I came back in my mid 20s it was always on my to do list and as I got older and I didn't do it I think I got embarrassed about it but now I have to and must do is a great master..

Had another lesson this morning and this absolute weapon insisted on overtaking me on a small road just before a bad bend, he had been trying for several hundred yards. The instructor said I wasn't even going slow but I think he just couldn't bear to be behind a learner. It bothered the instructor more than me, I'm a mellow enough person...

No bother with cyclists yet  ;D
It happens a lot with people especially if they grew up in a town and didn't need to have a car. Just push on and get it done. Even if you fail it first time get back on the horse straight away and re-book it asap.

Milltown Row2

Did about 6 lessons when i was 17, never bothered as i lived in Belfast and everything was walking distance, private taxi was £1.00! black hacks 0.25p

I failed first time on test, the fella that was taking me for lessons was great until he found out I was a hurler, fecking bluenose fecker!! week before the test he went missing and never took me for the final lessons, I ended up going alone to the bloody centre
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

punt kick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2017, 03:39:13 PM
Did about 6 lessons when i was 17, never bothered as i lived in Belfast and everything was walking distance, private taxi was £1.00! black hacks 0.25p

I failed first time on test, the fella that was taking me for lessons was great until he found out I was a hurler, fecking bluenose fecker!! week before the test he went missing and never took me for the final lessons, I ended up going alone to the bloody centre

::) ::) ::) ::)

Boycey

I've another 3 lessons under my belt and nobody killed yet  8). I'm now over halfway through the mandatory 12 lessons I must take and am starting to think about getting on the road myself. What is my best route with insurance? Get on my partners policy? Can she put a second car on her policy or should I just go on my own policy?

I know there's probably another thread that covers insurance but I've started this one now and am staying with it  :D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on August 17, 2017, 10:39:13 AM
I've another 3 lessons under my belt and nobody killed yet  8). I'm now over halfway through the mandatory 12 lessons I must take and am starting to think about getting on the road myself. What is my best route with insurance? Get on my partners policy? Can she put a second car on her policy or should I just go on my own policy?

I know there's probably another thread that covers insurance but I've started this one now and am staying with it  :D
Price up both options. As you're not 17  ;) you may be quoted something reasonable under your own policy.

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 17, 2017, 10:19:02 PM
Quote from: Boycey on August 17, 2017, 10:39:13 AM

Price up both options. As you're not 17  ;) you may be quoted something reasonable under your own policy.

Priced insurance up on my own policy, €5200  :o

gallsman

Boycey

whitey

Quote from: Boycey on August 10, 2017, 09:09:09 AM
Incredibly I've gotten myself to the age of almost 50 without learning to drive  :-[.
Circumstances have now dictated to me that I must learn so I've taken 3 lessons this week. I've been shocked at the level or aggression other drivers have shown to an obvious learner driver in a fully marked up instructors car.

Any tips for me??

Make your life easy and drive an automatic car.....youre way too old to learn how to drive
a stick shift

Boycey

Quote from: whitey on August 30, 2017, 05:53:22 PM
Quote from: Boycey on August 10, 2017, 09:09:09 AM
Incredibly I've gotten myself to the age of almost 50 without learning to drive  :-[.
Circumstances have now dictated to me that I must learn so I've taken 3 lessons this week. I've been shocked at the level or aggression other drivers have shown to an obvious learner driver in a fully marked up instructors car.

Any tips for me??

Make your life easy and drive an automatic car.....youre way too old to learn how to drive
a stick shift

Thanks for the vote of confidence  :D I'm going ok (I think) I have wondered a couple of times though why everyone doesn't drive an automatic..