IT recruiters

Started by Dinny Breen, July 07, 2017, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 07, 2017, 02:59:24 PM
Don't be giving it to her, she'll only head off skiing in Saint Moritz or something! :)
Monaghan Town in the morning for a holiday  ;D

The Subbie

Quote from: Rois on July 08, 2017, 01:01:42 AM
Don't be giving it to her, she'll only head off skiing in Saint Moritz or something! :)

I'm homesick now  :'( !

Have fun , loads of good places to eat and drink there!
The best Indian I've ever been to is at home in Monaghan !

imtommygunn

You are better using contacts you have if you can. There are very few good ones out there up north anyway. They have little regard for the individual and are just interested in the money mostly. There will be exceptions. Companies have started to find they don't work and are moving to in house a lot too.

punt kick

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 08, 2017, 12:03:26 AM
There are good recruiters and bad recruiters. Same as most professions. Try and find one where they'll discuss your career and what you want to do rather than shoehorn you in to a position that they have. A good recruiter will complete an interview and should be able to build a target list of organisations that fit. It also has to be mentioned that some candidates have unrealistic expections of what they want and can be ott demanding.

Yes I am a parasite recruiter.

Completely untrue for IT recruitment. Yet to meet one who knows wtf they are talking about.  They just care for the referral fee.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Subbie on July 08, 2017, 01:30:29 AM

Eastern Balti? Hard to beat.

trueblue1234

Quote from: punt kick on July 08, 2017, 07:33:31 PM
There are good recruiters and bad recruiters. Same as most professions. Try and find one where they'll discuss your career and what you want to do rather than shoehorn you in to a position that they have. A good recruiter will complete an interview and should be able to build a target list of organisations that fit. It also has to be mentioned that some candidates have unrealistic expections of what they want and can be ott demanding.

Completely untrue for IT recruitment. Yet to meet one who knows wtf they are talking about.  They just care for the referral fee.
I disagree.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

punt kick

Of course you would. Doesn't make it any less true.

trueblue1234

in your opinion. I'm not an IT recruiter by the way. But I know a few that have some excellent candidate feedback.

punt kick

The Subbie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 08, 2017, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on July 08, 2017, 01:30:29 AM

Eastern Balti? Hard to beat.

Savage isn't it !! Totally off topic but it's class !

trueblue1234

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2017, 09:56:02 PM
Dinny - I have had the exact same experience recently but it looks like I've landed a job in exactly the area I want. I worked for the same company for 9 years and fell into a contract (which turned out to be excellent) for a year. I've found recruitment agencies, linkdin etc to be nothing short of soul destroying. My conclusion is that some agencies are better than others, some agents are better than others. You have to keep after them and if they're shit you'll soon realise. Lots of them don't actually have the roles they advertise - if they cannot send you a detailed job spec for that specific role then it's a waste of time. Do not let them "put your details forward" - they're just trying to get the rights to "you" if you eventually land a role. You'll be up on a meaningless database but not submitted for a particular role.

Good luck. What's for you won't pass you.

Thanks Seanie, for a while I thought it might be me but your post is quite reassuring. Although it it could be that we are a pair of cantankerous feckers :)
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

This was my expectation, however not one recruiter has actually offered to interview me, review me CV or offered any substantial advice around my expectations. I use to do a lot of the recruiting for my old company so I know my worth in the market.

Now reconsidering going to Monaghan instead of France for my holdays, just for the Indian food mind........
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 10, 2017, 12:56:39 PM

This was my expectation, however not one recruiter has actually offered to interview me, review me CV or offered any substantial advice around my expectations. I use to do a lot of the recruiting for my old company so I know my worth in the market.

Now reconsidering going to Monaghan instead of France for my holdays, just for the Indian food mind........

Go for North African food/restaurants in France, it's a more than adequate replacement - and you can't really get it back home. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Subbie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 10, 2017, 12:56:39 PM

Do it Dinny , I can't imagine why anyone would forego the chance of a culinary Mecca like the Eastern Balti House in Park Street Monaghan for a trip to France  !