IT recruiters

Started by Dinny Breen, July 07, 2017, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 10, 2017, 12:56:39 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 08, 2017, 12:03:26 AM
There are good recruiters and bad recruiters. Same as most professions. Try and find one where they'll discuss your career and what you want to do rather than shoehorn you in to a position that they have. A good recruiter will complete an interview and should be able to build a target list of organisations that fit. It also has to be mentioned that some candidates have unrealistic expections of what they want and can be ott demanding.

Yes I am a parasite recruiter.

This was my expectation, however not one recruiter has actually offered to interview me, review me CV or offered any substantial advice around my expectations. I use to do a lot of the recruiting for my old company so I know my worth in the market.

Now reconsidering going to Monaghan instead of France for my holdays, just for the Indian food mind........
Crazy, I don't understand how a recruiter could fail to at least run through your cv and experience. How are they meant to present and sell you without doing that? Especially in niche recruitment like IT.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 07, 2017, 02:06:07 PM
Looking for a new role for the first time in 10 years.

So far my experience of recruiters has been horrific, no investment in you, poor communication and the feeling that you are literally just a piece of meat.

Would depress you...
The veneration of crap.
It is hard to find a decent recruiter
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

I think a lot of HR now is automated. Some of the bigger companies have outsourced recruitment to places like India. It doesn't make sense because linking workers to companies is about nuance. I was talking to one HR person who said they wouldn't look at a CV with a gap between jobs of more than 3 months.  This is really short-sighted.  Recruiters have to work for the algorithms. Not easy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Minus15

I have been job hunting for the last couple of months following notice of pending redundancy. I finish up with the company I am currently with later this month.

I have met with 6-8 recruitment agencies and would agree with what is being said here in that they are mostly pretty average at best. Some young ones that clearly have never worked in another industry and wouldn't have a notion about my level of technical competence and also some more polished but pompous gimps who say all the right things but generally don't lead anywhere.

I have had more success from my own work than through recruiters and I know I have missed out on one role because the recruiter got in first with my CV and the company wouldn't be willing to take their fee.

It is tough going but it just takes diligence and I am sure that the right thing will come off sooner rather than later. I have written off all but maybe one of the recruiters I met at this stage and have much more trust in my own ability to find something suitable for me.

The whole process will have me wiser should I ever be in this situation again in the future.

Look after yourself and don't rely on anyone else.

Edit: LinkedIn. Worthwhile or not? I have never had a profile. I am generally quite a private person when it comes to my work and don't publicise what I do outside of close friends and family.

The Subbie

Quote from: Minus15 on July 11, 2017, 12:39:39 PM
I have been job hunting for the last couple of months following notice of pending redundancy. I finish up with the company I am currently with later this month.

I have met with 6-8 recruitment agencies and would agree with what is being said here in that they are mostly pretty average at best. Some young ones that clearly have never worked in another industry and wouldn't have a notion about my level of technical competence and also some more polished but pompous gimps who say all the right things but generally don't lead anywhere.

I have had more success from my own work than through recruiters and I know I have missed out on one role because the recruiter got in first with my CV and the company wouldn't be willing to take their fee.

It is tough going but it just takes diligence and I am sure that the right thing will come off sooner rather than later. I have written off all but maybe one of the recruiters I met at this stage and have much more trust in my own ability to find something suitable for me.

The whole process will have me wiser should I ever be in this situation again in the future.

Look after yourself and don't rely on anyone else.

Edit: LinkedIn. Worthwhile or not? I have never had a profile. I am generally quite a private person when it comes to my work and don't publicise what I do outside of close friends and family.

First of all good luck with the job hunting, sounds like you already know what needs to be known about recruiters, lower than estate agents.

Re the LinkedIn profile I have one and find it useful for keeping in touch with people I would have worked with in the past - you never burn bridges do you - even though you may not be bosum buddies , on a professional level it's good to stay in touch with people that could be colleagues again in the future.
If you manage to get by without it then all the better .

punt kick

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 10, 2017, 09:19:24 PM
There are good recruiters and bad recruiters. Same as most professions. Try and find one where they'll discuss your career and what you want to do rather than shoehorn you in to a position that they have. A good recruiter will complete an interview and should be able to build a target list of organisations that fit. It also has to be mentioned that some candidates have unrealistic expections of what they want and can be ott demanding.

This was my expectation, however not one recruiter has actually offered to interview me, review me CV or offered any substantial advice around my expectations. I use to do a lot of the recruiting for my old company so I know my worth in the market.

Now reconsidering going to Monaghan instead of France for my holdays, just for the Indian food mind........
Crazy, I don't understand how a recruiter could fail to at least run through your cv and experience. How are they meant to present and sell you without doing that? Especially in niche recruitment like IT.

They wouldn't know what to ask. Lazy worthless individual's doing a job anyone could do.

trueblue1234

Quote from: punt kick on July 11, 2017, 03:41:14 PM

They wouldn't know what to ask. Lazy worthless individual's doing a job anyone could do.
True, but sure IT people are only tech geeks. Thrown them in anywhere and as long as they don't have to speak to anyone they're happy. 😒

armaghniac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 11, 2017, 09:29:34 PM

True, but sure IT people are only tech geeks. Thrown them in anywhere and as long as they don't have to speak to anyone they're happy. 😒

happy =  (shitetalk <= 0.0)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

punt kick

Point proven. You are a credit to the parasites / recruiters.

trueblue1234

Quote from: punt kick on July 11, 2017, 10:34:21 PM

Indeed. I bet your one of those needy candidates who blames the recruiter every time they get passed over for a job. Man up, you just weren't good enough.

macdanger2

What Dinny is describing is largely my experience with recruiters, have dealt with around 10 over the years and only 1-2 who were good. Not one has ever suggested changes to my CV

punt kick

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 11, 2017, 10:41:15 PM

Indeed. I bet your one of those needy candidates who blames the recruiter every time they get passed over for a job. Man up, you just weren't good enough.

Oh hit a nerve kid.  The ability of my left testical far outstreatches some twat sending out mass emails with no clue of the job or the ideal candidate. Talk to Bigfella he is the IT guru he could show you the way.

trueblue1234

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 11, 2017, 10:46:14 PM

What Dinny is describing is largely my experience with recruiters, have dealt with around 10 over the years and only 1-2 who were good. Not one has ever suggested changes to my CV
Try and look for recruiters who have been in the business for a while. There does be a lot to jump into recruitment but can bow out again just as quick as it is a heavily targeted job.
A cv should be moderated for each position, depending on the job description. What's relevant for one role, won't be relevant for another. Anyone even applying for a job should amend their cv before applying.

trueblue1234

Quote from: punt kick on July 11, 2017, 10:59:01 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 11, 2017, 10:41:15 PM

Oh hit a nerve kid.  The ability of my left testical far outstreatches some twat sending out mass emails with no clue of the job or the ideal candidate. Talk to Bigfella he is the IT guru he could show you the way.

Jeez you must have been passed over a few times.   Try this http://www.dummies.com/careers/find-a-job/interviews/job-interviews-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/

imtommygunn

There are so many bad ones out there. It is not that they are no good it's that they don't care.

When a company has issues and people are leaving they are like vultures round the rest of the people left telling them they care. They send out templated emails telling people they are special and were their first thought when everyone knows they were sent round loads of people. One phoned up a company front desk asking for someone and said they were a family member then got through.

A lot don't know the difference between technolgies when their primary job is to resource.... Technology jobs!

They do no good for companies too. Send bad candidates into companies. One in belfast lost a big contract so took a massive billboard ad out right beside the building they lost the contract on. 3 days later.

In writing that i do realise most of the dodgy manouvres are by one company mind you but i would be far from impressed by the it recruitment industry in belfast. Maybe it is better down south.