Changing Euros into Sterling

Started by ck, May 31, 2017, 09:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Anyone know where to get the best rate when changing a large (8,500) amount of euros into Sterling? Sold my car in Sligo for euro but am going to England to buy a new one in auction so keen to get best exchange rate before I go.

Any help or advice appreciated.

gallsman

Mike Tyson

Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2017, 09:45:50 AM
Revolut.

+1.

Just download the app on your phone and you can manage it all form there. They'll post you out a card and there's no charges for withdrawing cash or using your card abroad. Think there is a monthly limit of cash withdrawals though, something like £200 and after that you're charged a %. but no limit on using the card for chip & pin. Its a great job.

Link here: https://revolut.com/

Stall the Bailer

+1
I have been using it for the past year or so, can't fault it.

screenexile

Max Revolut currency exchange per month is £5k/€5k.

I would get it changed quickly if I were you 1.14 is the best the rate has been in quite a while!!

FL/MAYO

ck

Thanks for all ur help folks.

Just for clarity... Revolut means i download an app.. take money into it from a southern bank, then withdraw in uk?

gallsman

Quote from: ck on June 04, 2017, 12:29:04 AM
Thanks for all ur help folks.

Just for clarity... Revolut means i download an app.. take money into it from a southern bank, then withdraw in uk?

Top it up from southern bank. Convert to sterling. Transfer to UK bank.

There's an ATM withdrawal limit of 200 quid a month free. After that you pay a % on it.

ck

PAULD123

CK I have worked in Dublin for ten years and lived in County Down all that time. I have investigated every way to transfer money. The absolute best rate is to physically withdraw the Euros from the Southern bank then cross the border and change it at the local bureau. You get by far the best rates. any electronic transfer method was always worse.

But for anyone working down South a word of caution. By doing the physical transfer yourself I was caught in the money laundering rules when we went for a mortgage. The claim is "how do we know it is the SAME money that you took out of Dublin?" So they accepted that it was the same amount but maybe not the same money. Without the electronic transfer to track it they said they couldn't give me a mortgage.

Boycey

Jaysus lads does none of you know any 'entrepreneurs'

Owen Brannigan

Get your euros changed tomorrow at the latest, sterling already beginning to rise on the expectation that Tories will be returned with an increased majority.

ck

Lads, great advice on here! Thank you all very much.

ck

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 07, 2017, 07:20:22 PM
Get your euros changed tomorrow at the latest, sterling already beginning to rise on the expectation that Tories will be returned with an increased majority.

Hope Labour get in so as I get the cash for the car tomorrow!