225 civilians killed by US in one month

Started by Esmarelda, May 23, 2017, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2017, 02:44:10 PM
Pure rotten and the West would be best to let the countries sort out their own problems and the killing will stop.........

We'd hear a lot more about these deaths if the world press was able to freely go about the country and report them dont you think? I suppose with the fear of kidnappings and death squads looking for Westerns we wont get a full picture (as such)
Do you think?

If I can access the information online then so can anyone else The question is why they decide not publish it.

J70

You don't hear much about it at all in the states, except in so far as ISIS are using the civilian populations as human shields to delay the taking back of those cities.

whitey

It's all very easy from the safety and security of a neutral country to come out with the burning pitchforks. Isis are probably the most savage barbarians ever to set foot on this planet.  If I was under siege in a Syrian village and faced the prospect of my mother, wife, daughters and grandmother getting anally raped by a gang of these savages before being brutally knifed to death, I'd gladly roll the dice and welcome an air strike from the US Airforce

Esmarelda

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2017, 04:57:43 PM
It's all very easy from the safety and security of a neutral country to come out with the burning pitchforks. Isis are probably the most savage barbarians ever to set foot on this planet.  If I was under siege in a Syrian village and faced the prospect of my mother, wife, daughters and grandmother getting anally raped by a gang of these savages before being brutally knifed to death, I'd gladly roll the dice and welcome an air strike from the US Airforce
The point is that we don't hear of these casualties yet when the Russians were trying to drive the rebels out of Aleppo we had stories of hospitals being bombed and little girls tweeting the world to come save her.

Every civilian death is a tragedy. I'm highlighting the reporting or lack thereof depending on who is responsible, and the reaction of the average person to this.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 09, 2017, 05:03:36 PM
The point is that we don't hear of these casualties yet when the Russians were trying to drive the rebels out of Aleppo we had stories of hospitals being bombed and little girls tweeting the world to come save her.

Every civilian death is a tragedy. I'm highlighting the reporting or lack thereof depending on who is responsible, and the reaction of the average person to this.

I accessed online a bird coming down and plucking a child off the ground, the video looked real but turned out to be fake...

What average person do you know is not horrified by these atrocities ?

Solution??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2017, 06:22:09 PM

I accessed online a bird coming down and plucking a child off the ground, the video looked real but turned out to be fake...

Solution??
I bet if this story was added to the top ten current stories on RTE.ie, I'd say it would be among the least clicked upon.

No solution as it's not a problem. I just find it interesting.

J70

Its like the differing western responses to terrorism. If it happens in a major American or western European city, its blanket news in the west.

Elsewhere, its just what happens in those parts of the world. Its routine.

People are more upset when they can put themselves in the shoes of the victims, which is the case when some lunatic takes a truck and mows down a load of people walking across a bridge or through a market in a western city.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 09, 2017, 06:31:36 PM

Solution??
I bet if this story was added to the top ten current stories on RTE.ie, I'd say it would be among the least clicked upon.

So thousands being killed ain't a problem that needs fixed? So come a forum and post that without debating it? I bet if RTE sent a reporter to Isis held towns and tried to report the stuff you accessed online they'd be dead in a week
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2017, 06:42:46 PM

Solution??

So thousands being killed ain't a problem that needs fixed? So come a forum and post that without debating it? I bet if RTE sent a reporter to Isis held towns and tried to report the stuff you accessed online they'd be dead in a week
That's not what I said. I said people's reaction to it isn't a problem.

I think you're missing a word or two from your second sentence so I can't respond.

I agree with your last line but I'm not sure what you're getting at with it.

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on August 09, 2017, 06:36:52 PM
Its like the differing western responses to terrorism. If it happens in a major American or western European city, its blanket news in the west.

Elsewhere, its just what happens in those parts of the world. Its routine.

People are more upset when they can put themselves in the shoes of the victims, which is the case when some lunatic takes a truck and mows down a load of people walking across a bridge or through a market in a western city.
Exactly right.

The other part of my point is why the western media barely mention these things yet we had all sorts of coverage of the "fall" of Aleppo. Compare it to the "liberation" of Mosul and you can see what I mean by even the terminology used.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 09, 2017, 07:06:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2017, 06:42:46 PM

Solution??

That's not what I said. I said people's reaction to it isn't a problem.

I think you're missing a word or two from your second sentence so I can't respond.

I agree with your last line but I'm not sure what you're getting at with it.

The word was 'on'

I'm not getting at you just wondering are you posting stuff about atrocities just in Isis areas or are you open to other atrocities around the world? Nigeria has massive civilian deaths each year... not on the news..

Been millions of people displaced around the world and killed.. most people will react if they think it's close to them (Europe) or type of atrocity (getting mowed down by a truck) now if this forum was in central Africa or the Middle East people would be debating how bad it is and the suffering is so close to them it understandable. I think your beef is with collation policies in other countries...

I'll hazard a guess and say they (from Africa, Middle East) wouldn't  bat an eyelid at the 255 killed in one month in the States, or
put it on the internet, unless there is a Esmeralda from the Middle East

Esmarelda

My main point is why the western media barely mention atrocities that the US and its allies carry out yet when the Russians, who are fighting alongside and at the request of the Syrian government, are involved we get widespread reports of hospitals being intentionally attacked, sarin gas being used etc. The fact that no evidence is subsequently produced is also barely reported on.

Why is this the case in a seemingly neutral country like Ireland? Why aren't Prime Time reporting on it like they did when Aleppo was being liberated? Why isn't Pat Kenny covering it on his Newtalk show? Why isn't an oireachtas committee asking questions of the U.S. ambassador when they did so with the Russian equivalent?

Keyser soze

I think it fairly obvious that Esmerelda is highlighting the double standards of our media outlets in giving a one-eyed view of the conflicts in the Middle East. News media such as the BBC may not quite be as c**k-eyed as say North Korean TV but it aint far off it in my view.

And it definitely works. Hearing people who would class themselves as diehard Irish republicans espousing views on the middle east that they are getting from mainstream media like the BBC and the Sun in the UK and Ireland would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Unfortunately there are loads of people like that on here too.

It would be termed brainwashing only that would infer they have a brain.

Milltown Row2

The problem of getting information from the internet is balance, unless you are there and watching and hearing first hand accounts of these atrocities then surely its the same as believing the reports coming from BBC, CBS, NBC, RTE or the Middle east media.. the western media have an agenda as to do the Middle east media, it's shifting through the info you've got and then coming up with a balanced view is the difficulty..

Think i heard that in either Ireland or Northern Ireland there are 7 people a week taking their own lives 364 people a year snuffed out without any real media attention.. I'd be more interested in hearing about the ways of dealing with issues close to home

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2017, 03:42:33 PM
The problem of getting information from the internet is balance, unless you are there and watching and hearing first hand accounts of these atrocities then surely its the same as believing the reports coming from BBC, CBS, NBC, RTE or the Middle east media.. the western media have an agenda as to do the Middle east media, it's shifting through the info you've got and then coming up with a balanced view is the difficulty..

Think i heard that in either Ireland or Northern Ireland there are 7 people a week taking their own lives 364 people a year snuffed out without any real media attention.. I'd be more interested in hearing about the ways of dealing with issues close to home
RTE regularly quote the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights as a source in Syria. From what I've read, they're not to be relied on but that's not my point. This same group offers information on the US's activities in the region yet RTE (and others) choose not to print it.

Not to play down the terrible tragedy that is suicide in our country but we're a wealthy enough country to put funds in place to deal with mental health issues to a much further degree than we do. Our government chooses not to. I'd imagine the reasons behind each suicide are relatively similar, but no less tragic. Hearing about how to deal with the issue doesn't require a report on each one. Everyone knows it's happening.