Hunting

Started by The Iceman, May 15, 2017, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AhNowRef

Quote from: The Subbie on May 18, 2017, 01:25:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 17, 2017, 11:31:48 PM
Hunting first. Fishermen less likely to blast a 12 gauge a few feet from a field of cattle.

And this has happened where?
Any links to verify this ?
In my experience the overwhelming majority of game hunters are very cognisant of their responsibilities to landowners and their stock.
Obviously not the Roscomunist ones though that probably mirrors all aspects of life.

Have to say I've never really heard much about this either ...

What I do remember from years ago was that the Brits were always walking through fields and cutting wire etc.. It was fairly regular to have cows ripping the teats off themselves on the wire the soldiers left lying on the ground..

The landing of choppers in the middle of cows/cattle had some pretty unwanted consequences too .. cattle going half mad and breaking out & cows aborting calves etc...

Mind you, there were  a lot of farmers who claimed for stuff that had bugger all to do with the Brits too ...  every cloud eh !!    ::)

The Subbie

Quote from: tc_manchester on May 18, 2017, 10:58:30 AM
A few years ago I was working in Devon and was staying in a pub in Dartmoor. I came into the pub after work and there was about 20 gentlemen sitting in the pub with their hunting gear on. Hats and socks with feathers in them. They all sounded very posh. After they left I asked the barman about them and he said that they all come down from London for the pheasant/grouse. Every bird that was shot cost them 200 quid and that they had shot 140 birds that day.

That's a different kettle of fish entirely, this is a driven shoot, its slaughter pure and simple and does not sit well with me & im speaking as someone that shoots.
Shooting round home means you might fire 5 or 6 shells  in a days shooting and get maybe 2 pheasants if you are very lucky , these would be eaten.
The driven shoot boys will possibly let off 150 -200 shells in a day and unless they are brutal shots they will knock down 30 odd each, I don't see the fun in it to be honest , the phesants or whatever they are will most likely be sold onto a game dealer or else just buried, which is wrong.