Enda Kenny steps down

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, May 17, 2017, 04:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Essentially he was pushed. He didn't step down willingly. I can't think of one leadership quality he had.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 17, 2017, 07:55:06 PM
Essentially he was pushed. He didn't step down willingly. I can't think of one leadership quality he had.

How many political leaders step down willingly?

"All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs." Enoch Powell

macdanger2

Took over running the country at a tough time and did a decent job. Plenty of detractors who disliked him because he was too wooden on TV but maybe they need to watch less X factor, big brother, etc.

Had a lot of hard decisions to make and didn't always get it right but overall more positives than negatives and I think history will judge him kindly. I doubt we'll need a tribunal to enquire into any of his dealings so on that basis alone, he's probably the best Taoiseach of the last 30 years.

AZOffaly

Sorry, typo. Gobdaw of course

seafoid

I thought he was alright. Fairly decent. Left behind things in good shape. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 17, 2017, 08:27:46 PM
Took over running the country at a tough time and did a decent job. Plenty of detractors who disliked him because he was too wooden on TV but maybe they need to watch less X factor, big brother, etc.

Had a lot of hard decisions to make and didn't always get it right but overall more positives than negatives and I think history will judge him kindly. I doubt we'll need a tribunal to enquire into any of his dealings so on that basis alone, he's probably the best Taoiseach of the last 30 years.
At least he had the courage to push the same sex marriage referendum and the legislation for the X case.
And he wasn't too crooks.
Didn't endear himself to us Rossies over the Hospital.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2017, 08:56:58 PM
Sorry, typo. Gobdaw of course

Still never heard of it before.  So, I looked up the Oxford English dictionary:

gobdaw

A foolish or pretentious person.

manfromdelmonte

Still broke his word over Roscommon hospital
the lies told in the Dail by Reilly have NEVER been corrected

Farrandeelin

Disagree with your first paragraph. Any time he opened his mouth he made a balls of it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

As someone who had a particular negative view of Fine Gael growing up and was ashamed as the historically truth emerged about self serving and in my eyes unpatriotic irish governance particularly from fianna fail  I feel kenny has been stable, good and has set the thing up well. Well criticised over the years but partially I believe this is because Ireland are itching for a reckless Fianna Fáil governance again,. They were itching for the  recklessness even during the last presidential election but caught themselves on at the last.  No matter who succeeds kenny  Fianna Fáil will get back in and it's sad as there is now a hardworking alternative. So farewell ends. You done great.

gallsman

I doubt we'll need a tribunal to enquire into any of his dealings so on that basis alone, he's probably the best Taoiseach of the last 30 years.

There should f**king well be one over the state of the Gardai.

Tubberman

Quote from: gallsman on May 18, 2017, 07:34:39 AM
I doubt we'll need a tribunal to enquire into any of his dealings so on that basis alone, he's probably the best Taoiseach of the last 30 years.

A review of all policing in the State has been set up actually.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

Sometime ago, a mammy in Castlebar found that her daughter had left the key of her flat behind when she returned to Dublin after a weekend at home. She panicked as all mother would, but she suddenly remembered that Enda, whom she didn't know very well, usually spent the weekend at home and returned to Dublin on Sunday afternoons.
So the mammy raced to Milebush and got there just in time as Ends was on the point of departure. She explained her problem and asked him if he would get someone to deliver the key to her daughter. The kid was staying in a friend's flat so any time the next day would do, or so she thought.
But he phoned the young lady as soon as he got back to Dublin and arranged to meet her to give her the key. What's more, he let his chauffeur go when he got back to base and he used his own car to do so.
I have known Enda for close on 50 years and the story above is typical of the man.  We first met in St. Pat's Drumcondra, the teacher's training college and we've kept in touch since. We never discuss politics of any sort whenever we meet, which is just as well as I think his policies are a load of shite and he knows it.
He has his faults and he can come out with as much nonsense as Bertie Ahern whenever he opens his gob and that's some achievement.

I think history will be kind to him and he's leaving the country in a better state than he found it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

gallsman

Quote from: Tubberman on May 18, 2017, 09:20:20 AM

A review is different from a tribunal. I was exaggerating a tad bit the fact Callanan lasted so long and the fact O'Sullivan is still there is a disgrace.

Tubberman

Quote from: gallsman on May 18, 2017, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 18, 2017, 09:20:20 AM

A review is different from a tribunal. I was exaggerating a tad bit the fact Callanan lasted so long and the fact O'Sullivan is still there is a disgrace.

Given the history of tribunals in this country (millions spend and go on for years with very little end result), I'd be quite happy with the review which is resourced with very capable and experienced personnel. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."