HRH Prince Charles visiting the Free State tomorrow.

Started by T Fearon, May 09, 2017, 10:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Aw Jesus, don't engage with the simpleton. If he could get anywhere near any of the royals he'd have his fat face in for a photo before you could say 'wanna buy a poppy'
Careful now

Carmen Stateside

Brannigan with another Sinn Fein related post. Yawn!

Franko

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on May 13, 2017, 01:44:22 PM

It does get tiresome after a while.

Rossfan

Wouldn't ya think he'd just praise them uncritically all the time  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Rossfan

Shinnerbots sleepy today.
Must have stayed late ato Charlie Windsor's party ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: Rossfan on May 13, 2017, 04:22:53 PM

Ad hominem = weak

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on May 13, 2017, 04:22:53 PM

Rossfanny is a complete tool. I bet he fawned until he made himself sick
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Owen Brannigan

Franko

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 13, 2017, 08:55:07 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 13, 2017, 01:54:00 PM

Ad hominem = weak

You'd want to check the meaning of ad hominem there OB.  My comment directly referred to the content of your post(s), not to you.  Fail.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Franko on May 14, 2017, 07:56:34 AM

Ad hominem = weak

You'd want to check the meaning of ad hominem there OB.  My comment directly referred to the content of your post(s), not to you.  Fail.

Well Franko, I have checked the meaning and decided to rely on the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition, although other definitions are available and probably less favourable to you:

Definition of ad hominem

1:  appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect

2:  marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made made an ad hominem personal attack on his rival

It can be seen that your post in its reply to the previous one relating to me is clearly aimed at my actions in highlighting the cant of previous posters and of those pictured in my post as opposed to critiquing the actual content and message of my post. Hence, I believe that both you and the poster to whom you replied in relation to my post have provided ad hominem arguments.

Unfortunately, ad hominem arguments are all too frequent occurrences on this forum, often used as a first strike, by some posters faced with posts that they find unfavourable, uncomfortable or just plain contrary to their own beliefs and opinions. 

I believe you were correct in pointing out the ad hominem argument to Rossfan, yet for some reason, Foxcommander did not warrant the same reprimand from you when his post was particularly 'argumentum ad hominem'.  I don't expect that you should police such posts but observing which posters warranted your intervention and which did not within a sequence where you intervened in such a manner is enlightening.

BTW, I don't believe that I am being over sensitive in this observation.

theticklemister

Avondhu star

Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Franko

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 14, 2017, 11:04:07 AM
Quote from: Franko on May 14, 2017, 07:56:34 AM

Ad hominem = weak

Well Franko, I have checked the meaning and decided to rely on the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition, although other definitions are available and probably less favourable to you:

Definition of ad hominem

1:  appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect

2:  marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made made an ad hominem personal attack on his rival

It can be seen that your post in its reply to the previous one relating to me is clearly aimed at my actions in highlighting the cant of previous posters and of those pictured in my post as opposed to critiquing the actual content and message of my post. Hence, I believe that both you and the poster to whom you replied in relation to my post have provided ad hominem arguments.

Unfortunately, ad hominem arguments are all too frequent occurrences on this forum, often used as a first strike, by some posters faced with posts that they find unfavourable, uncomfortable or just plain contrary to their own beliefs and opinions. 

I believe you were correct in pointing out the ad hominem argument to Rossfan, yet for some reason, Foxcommander did not warrant the same reprimand from you when his post was particularly 'argumentum ad hominem'.  I don't expect that you should police such posts but observing which posters warranted your intervention and which did not within a sequence where you intervened in such a manner is enlightening.

BTW, I don't believe that I am being over sensitive in this observation.

Anything I posted was directly dealing with the content of your (repeated) posts and had nothing to do with your character.

The reason I picked up rossfan and not the other one is because rossfan was clearly replying to me whereas the other was not.  Surely that is blindingly obvious to anyone who was reading?  Possibly you should have read a bit more carefully and you may have found yourself being enlightened.

Fuzzman

Did Charley and Cam visit Dublin Castle on this visit?

I noticed on Friday that they have a Palestine flag now flying above City Hall
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/palestinian-flag-to-fly-above-dublin-s-city-hall-1.3076059