Author Topic: Is there anything that people in RoI won't take to court?  (Read 1381 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Re: Is there anything that people in RoI won't take to court?
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »
When I was a teenager there was a woman in the parish who had 3 compensation cases to her name. Another woman known to us was a candidate for FF and had been caught dumping her rubbish on iarnrod Eireann property. It used to be explained away as a lack of respect for authority. Does this come up much in Northern Ireland ?
Last of the choc-ices there now

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »
There is a healthy claim culture up here too seafoid. I would say there is a good percentage of car crashes resulting in personal injury claims. My missus was hounded by a solicitor years ago as she had no interest in a personal injury claims. Multiple phone calls, letters etc. basically telling her it was easy money. If a bus crashed in West Belfast you'd have more claims than the capacity of the bus.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
There is a healthy claim culture up here too seafoid. I would say there is a good percentage of car crashes resulting in personal injury claims. My missus was hounded by a solicitor years ago as she had no interest in a personal injury claims. Multiple phone calls, letters etc. basically telling her it was easy money. If a bus crashed in West Belfast you'd have more claims than the capacity of the bus.

I know other countries have a different view of authority but also a different history. I don't think Irish people feel like citizens. generally. The state is something to get money out of. People don't necessarily believe in their rights.
Insurance is very vulnerable to this because it is about sharing risk on the assumption that people are honest.
I always notice on the buses from the Airport in Dublin that you have to have exact change. In other countries people are trusted to buy tickets.....

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »

I know other countries have a different view of authority but also a different history. I don't think Irish people feel like citizens. generally. The state is something to get money out of. People don't necessarily believe in their rights.
Insurance is very vulnerable to this because it is about sharing risk on the assumption that people are honest.
I always notice on the buses from the Airport in Dublin that you have to have exact change. In other countries people are trusted to buy tickets.....

Nail on head. Citizenship is seen as political on both sides of the border and not a personal duty with responsibilities as well as privileges. In North it can appear to be a duty to drain the governing state hence the core of the RHI scandal for both Arlene and some of the beneficiaries and not corruption as put about by political adversaries.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »

Nail on head. Citizenship is seen as political on both sides of the border and not a personal duty with responsibilities as well as privileges. In North it can appear to be a duty to drain the governing state hence the core of the RHI scandal for both Arlene and some of the beneficiaries and not corruption as put about by political adversaries.
In the South politicians run "clinics" where politicians can sort things out for them to which they are entitled anyway as citizens

for example
https://www.fiannafail.ie/people/niall-collins/
Every Monday
 Pallasgreen – O’Dwyer’s Bar 9.30pm
 Bruff – Jack Clancy’s Bar 8.15pm
 Kilmallock – Flanagan’s Bar 7.30pm
 Newcastle West – Desmond Complex 6.30pm
 Patrickswell – Cuchulainn Bar 2pm
 Abbeyfeale – Michael Lane & Co. Solicitors 11am

Avondhu star

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
How many times have we seen Ministers lose their  seat while the local gombeen TD or populist leftie get elected safely in the knowledge that they will never be in government
Warning. Don't try this at home unless in the company of a responsible adult