Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Hard to take the IFA seriously about inclusively etc when they have no notion of changing flag/anthem. The NI team is a large component of the pul identity so obviously the majority of fans would oppose any such moves. Personally I'd go to a game alright and stand for the anthem as a basic show of respect, even though it makes me cringe if anything. Not half as much at that lot with the Lambeg drum  singing about German bombers, didn't realise ulster played such a big role in raf ww2 battles??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 18, 2016, 09:31:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2016, 08:06:22 PM
Double standards?? Are you on glue? Can it be that going to Ravenhill can be about watch high standard professional rugby at a very welcoming environment that is on your doorstep?  Are you continually going to politicize sport? Some fecking dinosaurs about

There is a double standard here. You are on here justifying the NI soccer team, the greatest politicisation of sport of any as it choose to represent a sectarian political entity rather than a geographical one. Despite you being the one promoting politics in sport you then come on here and accuse others of being bigots and of bringing politics into sport. Complete and utter hypocrisy, but par for the course.

Bring up a post that I justified n.i football team?? Its very simple in my view, FIFA have deemed n.i as a sporting country and as such given it that status, its not, its a state of Britain, but the sport has been supported by one side, it happens... Not the only country id imagine that doesn't have full support from all of its countrymen.. When did I promote politics in sport??

I've put up the definition of a bigot, read it and ask yourself if you are or not...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SkillfulBill

Quote from: general_lee on June 18, 2016, 09:34:37 PM
Hard to take the IFA seriously about inclusively etc when they have no notion of changing flag/anthem. The NI team is a large component of the pul identity so obviously the majority of fans would oppose any such moves. Personally I'd go to a game alright and stand for the anthem as a basic show of respect, even though it makes me cringe if anything. Not half as much at that lot with the Lambeg drum  singing about German bombers, didn't realise ulster played such a big role in raf ww2 battles??

Or that 20 odd years before their forefathers had received the German guns with which they intended to turn on their British masters if they didn't get their way. Loyalist has to be an acrename of some sorts.

OgraAnDun

To be fair there's a version of that song where you change 'German bombers' for [British] 'helicopters', and 'the RAF from Ulster' to 'the Ra from _____'.

Milltown Row2

Belfast was bombed big time during the war... The Falls took a major hit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stew

So much for me not supporting the southern team because I never lived there, I found myself cheering them on hardcore during the Sweden game and again yesterday against the Belgian's, I am rooting for both teams from this Island to do well at the euros.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rossfan

"southern team" ????
Coleman, McClean, Given..
Anyone from Munster on it at all??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on June 19, 2016, 12:42:35 PM
"southern team" ????
Coleman, McClean, Given..
Anyone from Munster on it at all??

O'Shea, Meyler, Long

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2016, 10:17:16 PM

I've heard it said that the orange order wasn't as active during ww2 because there were so many fit men who would have been called to fight if they were seen to be out marching. I know belfast got blitzed... The emphasis seems to be on ww1 however when it comes to constantly commemorating though??

general_lee

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 18, 2016, 10:01:15 PM

To be fair there's a version of that song where you change 'German bombers' for [British] 'helicopters', and 'the RAF from Ulster' to 'the Ra from _____'.
Equally shite

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on June 19, 2016, 04:09:24 PM

I've heard it said that the orange order wasn't as active during ww2 because there were so many fit men who would have been called to fight if they were seen to be out marching. I know belfast got blitzed... The emphasis seems to be on ww1 however when it comes to constantly commemorating though??

Yep because that's when the legal UVF was formed... West and North Belfast got a good bombing .. The Falls baths was used as a temporary morgue..

I don't know the story of the Orange men not joining up during the second one

Jim_Murphy_74

Not really relevant to soccer but in relation to WW2, state records show that Unionist Party tried and tried to get conscription brought in because of the poor recruitment rate in Northern Ireland throughout the war.  Afterwards when it appear that there were more volunteers from "Eire" than Northern Ireland so serious efforts were made to cover that up.  Robert Fisk reference these papers in "In time of War" book.

This picture from yesterday's Somme commemoration illustrates the contradiction better than anything.  Obviously this lad wanted to commemorate the Ulster and British dead of WW1 but his markings suggest he might have mixed views about WW2:

/Jim.

seafoid

How many times? Dublin was bombed as well.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 20, 2016, 10:56:38 AM

Not really relevant to soccer but in relation to WW2, state records show that Unionist Party tried and tried to get conscription brought in because of the poor recruitment rate in Northern Ireland throughout the war.  Afterwards when it appear that there were more volunteers from "Eire" than Northern Ireland so serious efforts were made to cover that up.  Robert Fisk reference these papers in "In time of War" book.

This picture from yesterday's Somme commemoration illustrates the contradiction better than anything.  Obviously this lad wanted to commemorate the Ulster and British dead of WW1 but his markings suggest he might have mixed views about WW2:

/Jim.

It's probably to remember where the original UVF got their guns from.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid