Boxing

Started by passedit, April 30, 2007, 12:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Working from home today and Ali Frazier 1971 is on ESPN in the 'background'. Jazus that was some fight, both fighters hospitalized afterwards. Couldn't believe their weights just over 15st for Ali under 15st for Frazier.

Carpenter commentating, what a useless p***k he was, keeps calling Ali, Clay. Reminds me of the story of lads listening to one of his radio commentaries,  english fighter v Johnnie foreigner. 14 rounds of 'get in there frank' type commentary then the englishman gets KO'd. Oul fella in the pub pipes up 'Jazus he musta hit himself'.

Don't Panic

full back

Doing exactly the same myself Passedit
Carpenter is doing my head in
Ali was one patrinising fcuker :D

passedit

'he hasn't been on the floor since 1963 and it was Henry Cooper who put him there then' ::) ::) ::)

A whole career on one lucky punch.
Don't Panic

full back

Heard 'Arry saying it is being shown in 360 odd movie theatres & sports halls. Whats the story with that?
Fcuk, Ali is taking some punishment in the last

passedit

No sky sports subsciptions in them days. Shockin judging. No more than a round in it either way imo. Vietnam factor costing ali a few rounds. some fight, I'm tired just watching it
Don't Panic

Declan

Great left hook by Frazier to floor Ali as well. Despite winning Frazier spent longer in hospital recovering than Ali!!!!

Great fight and Ali thumped him in the rematch over 12 rounds in MSG before the final leg in Manila.

Hardy

I remember at the time thinking Ali was robbed - thought he won it clearly, even allowing for the knockdown. Does it still look that way? I haven't seen it since.

passedit

QuoteI remember at the time thinking Ali was robbed - thought he won it clearly, even allowing for the knockdown. Does it still look that way? I haven't seen it since.

I was of that opinion myself Hardy and myself and the brother staged many a rematch over the result at the time. Having just watched it again it was a lot closer to call than my (very young) Ali tinted specs called it the first time. Ali bossed the early rounds while Frazier had huge 11th and last rounds. The fight was scored on rounds and on that basis I still think ali shaded it but the three judges had it 8-6-1, 9-6 and 11-4 frazier. That's just bollix.
Don't Panic

Hardy

As you say - the Vietnam factor was probably the difference.

Jack Dempsey

Anyone see David Haye the other night. He is going to be a very big name is boxing soon enough. Mark my words

CiKe

Haye seems to have the power and is a slick enough boxer but tends to carry his hands too low from the little I have seem of him. Certainly there have been questions about his stamina and ability to take a shot, but can't say I've seen enough of him to be able to judge properly.

passedit

I'd always be wary of any boxer who i've seen on the couch of soccer am before i've seen him in the ring. Bit of a hype machine getting going about him. Heard Steve Bunce raving about him on 5Live at the weekend as well. Demolished some lad Fraudley Harrison struggled to put away, hmmm.

In fairness i'll wait till the 'Hayemaker' fights someone decent.
Don't Panic

Square Ball

Quote from: passedit on April 30, 2007, 04:56:40 PM
I'd always be wary of any boxer who i've seen on the couch of soccer am before i've seen him in the ring. Bit of a hype machine getting going about him. Heard Steve Bunce raving about him on 5Live at the weekend as well. Demolished some lad Fraudley Harrison struggled to put away, hmmm.

that would be nearly everyone he fought
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

gallsman

De La Hoya v Mayweather this weekend! It's probably disappeared amid all the overblown hype, but there should be a very good fight lying underneath there somewhere! As great a fighter as Mayweather is, he's an obnoxious little turd and hope Oscar puts him in his place. If Mayweather can bring any sort of power to light middle he should win however, he's just too quick and an ageing de la Hoya might have trouble hitting him.Haye is a very fast, slick boxer but I'd be suspicious of a fella a 40 year old Carl Thompson demolished a few years ago. Haye insists that he plans to go back down to cruiser to take on Mormeck, but apparently there's word of a rubber match between Mormeck and O'Neil Bell

Declan

QuoteDe La Hoya v Mayweather this weekend

Should be a cracker alright. Think Mayweather may have the edge though