lennon leaves celtic

Started by the colonel, April 25, 2007, 12:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

neil lennon calls time on celtic career
Paul Cuddihy
Neil Lennon has decided to call an end to his Celtic career at the end of the season.

Neil said: "Obviously having been with the Club for so long, it will be a real wrench to leave, but I have thought long and hard about this decision and believe that it is the right one.

"I feel it is right to go out on a high and given that we have just secured the League title for the second year running, I believe that this is the best decision at the best time.

"I have enjoyed my time at the Club immensely. I have worked with two fantastic managers in Gordon Strachan and Martin O'Neill, enjoyed working with some quality players and had a great relationship with the Celtic Board and all the staff at the Club.

"I would also like to thank the Celtic fans for their support. I have enjoyed a good relationship with supporters and sincerely appreciate the backing which they have given me over a number of years.

"This season has been particularly pleasing, having won the Championship, making the Scottish Cup final and obviously getting to the last 16 in the Champions League.

"It was a boyhood dream to play for the Club I loved – I am very proud to have achieved this and played for Celtic for so many years and clearly, when Gordon Strachan made me captain of the Club I was, of course, extremely honoured.

"I look forward to joining my team-mates and the manager in lifting the SPL trophy on Sunday. Great credit should go to the manager and his staff for all they have done over the past two years.

"We still have a good bit to do before the end of the season and I will be doing all I can to make sure we bring the Scottish Cup back to Celtic Park."

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell commented: "Without doubt, Neil Lennon will rightly be regarded as one of the Club's finest servants.

"Neil has served Celtic with distinction for nearly seven years and has achieved the highest of honours - SPL titles, Scottish Cups, League Cups, not to mention a European final and some famous Champions League victories.

"Clearly, we are all disappointed to see Neil leave the Club, but it is important that we celebrate Neil's contribution and all that he did in bringing such success to the Club in recent years.

"Rightly, since he joined the Club, Neil has been a firm favourite with our supporters and I know that, as captain, he has enjoyed greatly winning back-to-back Championships for the Club and its supporters.

"On behalf of the Celtic Board I would like to sincerely thank Neil for his magnificent contribution to the Club.  Everyone at Celtic wishes Neil the very best for the future."

Celtic Manager Gordon Strachan said: "Neil has been a tremendous asset to Celtic and a great help to me since I came to the club. He is a true competitor and has always been a good team-mate, which I'm sure every player here now, or who has played alongside him in the past would confirm.

"We fully respect his decision and I understand fully that he feels the end of the season is the right time to leave the Club.

"Neil is proud of his achievements at the club, and rightly so, and very proud to be captain of Celtic. He has been vital to our success, winning two league championships in a row and the CIS Cup, as well as reaching this season's Scottish Cup final.

"And to captain Celtic as the club reached the last 16 of the Champions League for the first time was also a tremendous achievement.

"I would like to thank Neil, on a personal level for being a great captain and indeed a friend, through some difficult moments.

"On behalf of all the coaches and backroom staff here I would also like to thank him for everything he's done for Celtic, and we wish him every success for the future."

Martin Reilly, Neil Lennon's representative, said: "Clearly, it is disappointing that Neil has decided to end his time with Celtic but he feels that this is the best time to move on, something which we, of course, fully respect.

"Neil has had a tremendous time with Celtic and will forever love the Club dearly.

"Our dealings with the Club have always been excellent and we have nothing but praise for Chief Executive Peter Lawwell, the Celtic Board and the management at Celtic. Of course, we wish the Club all the very best for the future.

"We would also like to thank Gordon Strachan for everything he has done for Neil over the past two years. Gordon has had an important influence on Neil during this time and we thank him sincerely for the great support he has given his captain."

got some abuse towards the end from celtic fans, but he loved the club, right time to go i think
fair play to neil
the difference between success and failure is energy

Armagh4SamAgain

'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

magpie seanie

Don't be asking embarrasing question like that!

bingobus

He could have left 3 years ago and I don't think he'd have been missed by Cletic at all.

Very limited player who would not have palyed in the EPL for as long as he did in the SPL. Probably quite clever on his part.

Armagh4SamAgain

Did he play for clanns when he was wee?
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

the colonel

i think in the first few months in the season he was class. i am a season ticket holder in dundee and he was great up to xmas. he does so much work that goes unnoticed and doesn't complain about it

Syd The Sailor

My favourite memory of Lennon was after Milan put the Celts out this year he had his shirt off to swap jerseys, they then went to the Sky Sports studio and Ruud Gullit was pishing himself laughing "some players should not take their tops off" was his line i think. He had the physique of a pub team player.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Bensars

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on April 25, 2007, 12:47:58 PM
Wheres he goin?

Joe Kernan is in crisis and has called him onto the squad

the colonel

from teamtalk.com

QuoteHe has not retired from playing, and could seek a new club in England.

Lennon recently warned manager Gordon Strachan he would be unwilling to settle for the occasional cameo role at Celtic, saying: "I don't want to be the old player that hangs around clapping the boys off."

Former Old Firm star Mo Johnston has already expressed an interest in recruiting Lennon for his Toronto FC side, the Canadian outfit who are in the early stages of their maiden Major League Soccer campaign.

A move overseas looks unlikely just yet however, with the midfielder already rejecting the prospect of playing in America next season.

full back

No disrespect to the man, but I didnt rate him for the reason that he only ever passed the ball back or if we were lucky square...
Sometimes you felt like saying FFS go forward.
So I suppose he has achieved a lot with limited ability

Tony Baloney

If he left to play for an English club would a return for Norn Iron be on the cards or is he past it?

Bensars

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 25, 2007, 01:06:50 PM
If he left to play for an English club would a return for Norn Iron be on the cards or is he past it?

Hes around the 35 mark.    Anyway after the abuse the OWC and associated groupings gave him and his family, i would suspect he would rather avoid that situation.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Bensars on April 25, 2007, 01:10:33 PM

Hes around the 35 mark.    Anyway after the abuse the OWC and associated groupings gave him and his family, i would suspect he would rather avoid that situation.

Bensars did you not know that period of history has been airbrushed and did not actually happen so he could maybe come back for the high flying north........
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

SammyG

Quote from: Bensars on April 25, 2007, 01:10:33 PM

Is that the same Neil Lennon who gave a speech praising NI fans, a few weeks ago, or a different one?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Lennon has stated that he wants to go into coaching.

Can't see him being happy as a squad player in one of the lower EPL teams or playing in the championship!

A year stateside may be on the cards, but he will be coaching sooner or later.
Tbc....