Proof there is no god.

Started by Agent Orange, February 25, 2015, 09:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2017, 11:31:59 AM
Humans are herd animals. That is why there is Fianna Fáil.
Most people want to belong, to share values. That is why there is religion.
Maybe there is a God. Or Gods. Maybe nature is in charge. Maybe it is all pointless.
If there is no hell what do you call an hour listening to Gerry Adams talking shite?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Orior

Is there a word needed for the act of reading an old thread and thinking "Did I really post that shite?"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

north_antrim_hound

This thread reminds me of the saying on this subject in the military
Read it in micheal Heers excellent  book "dispatches "

"Never seen an atheist in a foxhole"

Funny how people including posters on this thread when confronted with death might have change of heart

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

bennydorano

Does fear of death make you believe in God now? Another interpretation of the foxhole scenario is that you're shit scared & clutching at straws. Fear of death / the unknown is not an endorsement of Religion or God, it's a natural human reaction.

Jell 0 Biafra

Are we supposed to believe that there have never been atheists in a foxhole who did not turn to god?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 07, 2017, 07:05:13 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2017, 11:31:59 AM
Humans are herd animals. That is why there is Fianna Fáil.
Most people want to belong, to share values. That is why there is religion.
Maybe there is a God. Or Gods. Maybe nature is in charge. Maybe it is all pointless.
If there is no hell what do you call an hour listening to Gerry Adams talking shite?
+1  ;D ;D
Or maybe a half hour with seafóíd!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 07, 2017, 10:14:11 PM

Funny how people including posters on this thread when confronted with death might have change of heart
Well, I was and I didn't.
I figured that if there was a god, he/she/it wasn't going to be fooled by last minute changes of heart and if there wasn't it wouldn't matter one way or the other. I felt if I had to go before my maker, the up or down verdict would depend on my actions throughout my life and there was feck all I could do to change anything at that stage.
I've nothing against God but I don't think any man made religion has got the mix right yet.
I mean Tony Fearon says, "God made the world" ans Stephen Hawking says, "No, he effin' didn't. Matter appeared out of nowhere and it keeps on appearing all the time."
It's a toss up as to which of them is the biggest laitcheko.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mrdeeds

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 07, 2017, 10:36:18 PM
Are we supposed to believe that there have never been atheists in a foxhole who did not turn to god?

And even if people do it's hardly proof???

bennydorano

A Pascal's Wager type situation will hardly fool an Omnipotent being either.

J70

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 07, 2017, 10:14:11 PM

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that this canard is true.

What does that prove?

That there is a god?

Or that someone shitting his trousers with fear of being killed suddenly either hopes there might be or doesn't want to hedge his bets?

This is similar to the "Darwin recanted on his deathbed" tale that circulates in creationist circles. Its not true, but even if it was, so f**king what?

A scared, confused, dying man having doubts at the moment of death has no relevance whatsoever to the science of evolution by natural selection. That stands on its own feet, independent of Darwin, as it has done ever since. If Darwin hadn't come up with it, someone else would have, and indeed did, in the form of Alfred Russel Wallace. And if Wallace hadn't been around to give Darwin the kick up the arse to finally publish, someone else still would have come up with it. Science had advanced to the point where those steps were waiting to be taken.

omaghjoe

This was an interesting read musta been before

Tho how does a theory of atoms coming to gether prove there is no God? How could science prove there is no God

Science is a study of the physical (empirical) universe

God is a spiritual (non-physical) entity

How can anyone tie the two together?

Richard Dawkins makes a good stab at it and is an excellent debater but ultimately he relies completely on hypothetical arguments and the assumption of a materialist universe. Emanuel Kant would have (still does) made mincemeat out of arguments but sure its a way for him to make a (very decent) living.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 09, 2017, 05:09:19 AM

Tho how does a theory of atoms coming to gether prove there is no God? How could science prove there is no God

Richard Dawkins makes a good stab at it and is an excellent debater but ultimately he relies completely on hypothetical arguments and the assumption of a materialist universe. Emanuel Kant would have (still does) made mincemeat out of arguments but sure its a way for him to make a (very decent) living.
there's no evidence for the spiritual entity
so therefore, even talking about it is silly

I think anyone sitting in a foxhole would try anything they could to save their ass

Imposerous

How do you know, Joe?

Orior

Talking of foxholes...

Two members of an IRA active service unit had planted a bomb under a road bridge. They were waiting for a UDR patrol to cross over the bridge, at which point they would detonate the bomb.

The patrol had been expected at 12 noon, but after waiting 2 hours there was still no sign of the soldiers.

One IRA man turns to the other and says "They're very late - jeez I hope nothing has happened to them"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

omaghjoe

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 09, 2017, 08:15:48 AM

there's no evidence for the spiritual entity
so therefore, even talking about it is silly

I think anyone sitting in a foxhole would try anything they could to save their ass

So then... does that make you silly?

IF your talking about scientific evidence then as I said of course there's none. But it seems like your suggesting that scientific evidence can discover everything about everything, it cant. What's the scientific evidence for maths?
Whats the scientific evidence for logic?
Whats the scientific evidence for morals?

And why would you suppose that tools (our senses) that are made for reproducing and surviving gave us a complete or even accurate picture of the cosmos at all?