Removal of Gaza flag in Croke Park!

Started by Aoise, August 04, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aoise

Quote from: Sidney on August 07, 2014, 05:33:31 PM
Again I ask those in favour of the removal of the "We Stand With Gaza" flag, whether they would have been in favour of GAA officials and Gardai stepping in to remove American flags at the 2001 All-Ireland football final, 12 days after September 11th?

Silence is deafening! 

thebigfella

Quote from: ardal on August 07, 2014, 05:32:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 07, 2014, 02:46:04 PM
What exactly will displaying Palestinian flags at a match in Croke Park do to help the poor people in Gaza?
A flying picket following every Government Minister might just have a bit more ( although of no practical use really) effect on the morons who abstained in that UN vote.

It's on TV. Further highlighting the homicide, showing solidarity to a massive audience, encouraging others to take a stand. It's not as if the Republic of Ireland hasn't passively remonstrated about actions outside it's political control before.

Give me a f**king break

foxcommander

Quote from: Ulick on August 07, 2014, 08:51:54 AM
I have a photo on the wall here of a half time protest in Davitt Park Lurgan when the four in a row Kerry team travelled to play Armagh. The protest was in support of the prisoners taking part in the 1980 Hunger Strike. Despite open knowledge of the inhuman conditions within the gaol at the time, the GAA sent out edicts that the matter was not to be raised at any club meeting and displays of support were banned. Now I'm not saying that the GAA supporting that protest would have ensured it's success and prevented the deaths of those who died in the second Hunger Strike the following year, however more support from civic Ireland would have made it more difficult for the Brits to renege on the deal which was struck. This was all the more important because Section 32 had most of the prisoners spokespeople banned from the media. Now again we have media and civic society silent while human rights are abused in what is effectively a concentration camp in Gaza. So yes I'll be in Croke Park on Saturday to support Armagh and will be carrying a Palestinian flag to show solidarity with the people in Gaza. The faces in that photograph are becoming less recognisable as the years go on, but the one thing we all remember about that year was that the only time a prisoners spokesperson managed to get on RTE was when Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh gave 5 minutes national airtime, at half time in the Davitt Park game between Armagh and Kerry.

Public solidarity on issues forces the government to make decisions. Whether this is at a Gaelic Match or a protest outside an embassy the right to free expression should still be allowed.

I will never forget the gardai who beat up irish men and women outside the british embassy in 1981.
The attitude of the majority of people in the 26 counties has always been one of apathy as long as it doesnt affect them. And even if it does just look at the lack of effort in the bailout protests FFS.

Easy to turn a blind eye to a conflict thousands of miles away, just try sidestep it and leave it to someone else.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Aoise

Quote from: thebigfella on August 07, 2014, 05:38:53 PM
What exactly will displaying Palestinian flags at a match in Croke Park do to help the poor people in Gaza?
A flying picket following every Government Minister might just have a bit more ( although of no practical use really) effect on the morons who abstained in that UN vote.

It's on TV. Further highlighting the homicide, showing solidarity to a massive audience, encouraging others to take a stand. It's not as if the Republic of Ireland hasn't passively remonstrated about actions outside it's political control before.

Give me a f**king break

I'm beginning to think you just don't like it when people decide not to be sheeple and make their own decisions Big Fella! ;-)

Syferus

Quote from: Aoise on August 07, 2014, 05:49:42 PM

Give me a f**king break

I'm beginning to think you just don't like it when people decide not to be sheeple and make their own decisions Big Fella! ;-)

Aren't you the one who began this by assuming everyone would blindly follow your logic and make some sort of huge protest at Saturday's matches? Pot and kettle.

Aoise

Quote from: Syferus on August 07, 2014, 05:53:20 PM
Quote from: Aoise on August 07, 2014, 05:49:42 PM

Give me a f**king break

Aren't you the one who began this by assuming everyone would blindly follow your logic and make some sort of huge protest at Saturday's matches? Pot and kettle.

Re-read the thread please.  I simply asked that those who were of the same mindset to do the same.  For those who aren't, then don't!  It really is that simple.  People not sheeple remember?

give her dixie

I for one will be in Croke Park on Saturday proudly flying my "Tyrone to Gaza" flag alongside the big Armagh one. Plus, I will be selling Palestinine flags before the game in order to raise awareness and funds for Medical Aid for Palestine.

Solidarity to Gaza from Croke Park...................
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

whitey

Quote from: Aoise on August 07, 2014, 05:36:44 PM
Again I ask those in favour of the removal of the "We Stand With Gaza" flag, whether they would have been in favour of GAA officials and Gardai stepping in to remove American flags at the 2001 All-Ireland football final, 12 days after September 11th?

Silence is deafening!

I'll give it a stab.

You're comparing apples to turnips here. America contains the largest diaspora of Irish people in the world....numbering in the tens of millions who view their Irish heritage as an integral part of their identity. America is a significant trade partner of Ireland's and American Multi national companies employ hundreds of thousand of Irish people. Tourism, one of Ireland biggest industries, is heavily reliant on visitors from the US who indirectly provide employment to tens of thousands of Irish people. Several Irish citizens were also murdered in the attacks on 9/11, not to mention the large number of Irish Americans and dual citizens. Finally, without the input of American politicians like George Mitchell and Bill Clinton

NO such links exist between Ireland and Gaza.

Aoise

Quote from: give her dixie on August 07, 2014, 06:22:33 PM
I for one will be in Croke Park on Saturday proudly flying my "Tyrone to Gaza" flag alongside the big Armagh one. Plus, I will be selling Palestinine flags before the game in order to raise awareness and funds for Medical Aid for Palestine.

Solidarity to Gaza from Croke Park...................

Good man GHD! Though I always knew you'd be there!  ;)

Aoise

Quote from: whitey on August 07, 2014, 06:27:13 PM

Silence is deafening!

I'll give it a stab.

You're comparing apples to turnips here. America contains the largest diaspora of Irish people in the world....numbering in the tens of millions who view their Irish heritage as an integral part of their identity. America is a significant trade partner of Ireland's and American Multi national companies employ hundreds of thousand of Irish people. Tourism, one of Ireland biggest industries, is heavily reliant on visitors from the US who indirectly provide employment to tens of thousands of Irish people. Several Irish citizens were also murdered in the attacks on 9/11, not to mention the large number of Irish Americans and dual citizens. Finally, without the input of American politicians like George Mitchell and Bill Clinton

My God money, money money!!! What about the human link Whitey?  I think the point Sidney is making is that you cannot pick and choose.  American flags are seen to be an oppressive emblem to many nations, yet, they flew unhindered in Croke Park.  And that is fine if people felt strongly enough, so if its ok for one, it has to be ok for another.  And Croke Park had no problem with it then.  So whats the gripe now?

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: whitey on August 07, 2014, 04:39:28 PM

No one in the Republican movement seems too worried about the Vietnamese when they're over here fundraising though-LOL.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/jerome-reilly-sinn-fein-war-chest-swells-as-global-ties-pay-big-dividends-26828222.html

The hypocrisy ids nauseating to say the least

What have the Republican movement to do with flying Palestinian flags in Croke Park? You're away off on a tangent.

ONeill

If I brought a Gay Pride flag to Croke would anyone object?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

whitey

"Money, money money"- you conveniently ignored the other components of my argument and pulled out what suited your agenda

Well what about all of the support that the Republican movement received from Irish Americans, Noraid and politicians such as Republican Peter King ring their struggle....I could go on and on but I think you already have your mind made up on this one.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_T._King#Support_for_the_IRA

Sidney

Quote from: whitey on August 07, 2014, 06:27:13 PM

Silence is deafening!

I'll give it a stab.

So basically the situations are pretty similar (apart from the continuing hardship the people of Gaza will have for the foreseeable future face as opposed to 9/11 being a one-off event) it's just a case of, well they're people like us and they bring money into the country, whereas the people in Gaza are just a bunch of Muslims.

Unfortunately I do think there's a element of racism to that view.

Sidney

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2014, 06:44:52 PM
If I brought a Gay Pride flag to Croke would anyone object?
I think Armagh already have such a symbol on their jersey?