Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: BennyCake on May 14, 2017, 02:15:29 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on May 14, 2017, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 13, 2017, 08:25:39 PM
Jaysus fair play to that Bono. He hasn't changed a bit in the 30 years since The Joshua Tree was released.The man hadn't a grey hair in his head.

Neither had the Edge!   ;)

Actually, The Edge has the edge. He's youngest, so less chance of grey hairs.
I think Larry, do you know who I am, Mullan is the youngest
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 16, 2017, 12:06:15 AM
Can we re-name this thread "Begrudgers R US?"
What a lad of bollix. The fact is that if Bono simply concentrated on the music, or if he practiced what ge preached as regards poverty etc then everything would be okay. But he doesn't do either of these things so that overshadows everything and that's why I dislike them. I was a huge fan for years, saw them in Newry Town Hall, but I wouldn't go to the back door to see them. The Rolling Stones, on the other hand, just class.

Actually, I lied a bit there. My brother and I wanted to see them in Newry Town Hall but we had no way of getting there.
Careful now

BennyCake

joemamas

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 16, 2017, 12:29:02 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 16, 2017, 12:06:15 AM
Can we re-name this thread "Begrudgers R US?"
What a lad of bollix. The fact is that if Bono simply concentrated on the music, or if he practiced what ge preached as regards poverty etc then everything would be okay. But he doesn't do either of these things so that overshadows everything and that's why I dislike them. I was a huge fan for years, saw them in Newry Town Hall, but I wouldn't go to the back door to see them. The Rolling Stones, on the other hand, just class.

Actually, I lied a bit there. My brother and I wanted to see them in Newry Town Hall but we had no way of getting there.

Could not agree more.
He is a self righteous bollocks. Was at them about ten or twelve years ago at MSG.
General admission tickets were $133 can clearly remember which I thought was a lot of money .
He spent half the night talking pure shit talking about this that and the other. I swore never again.
If the were playing in the back yard I would go next door.
It was a year or two later news came out about tax situation.
Was even angrier if that was possible.

Seany

Still the biggest band in the world.

Bono preaches a little, OK a lot.

But perhaps their campaigns just might have had some impact - Bono was the first person to talk about 3rd World countries needing Justice, not Handouts.  He spearheaded the Millennium Initiaitve to cancel 3rd World Debt. 

Bono's fortune (the vast majority of which he has given away secretly) is not going to solve third world poverty which is his major crusade.  To suggest all world problems could be solved by Bono handing his money over, is ridiculous. 

I also remember the song Walk On at 360 Tour when he got people to walk onto the stage with Aung San Suu Kyi masks.  He used this song to highlight her house arrest.  Shortly after, she was freed.  Up until then no one had a clue who she was.

During the ZooTV tour, he did nightly satellite links with Sarajevo.  After the war, they went and did a broadcast concert there.

He came to Belfast to do a concert to promote the peace process here.

Their music is also excellent and has stood the test of time.

An Irish band, biggest in the world, and making a difference.

...but sure wouldn't it be better if he was like Liam Gallagher; drugged out, can't sing, fighting, foul mouthed, acting the p***k everywhere he goes...

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Seany on May 16, 2017, 11:30:56 AM

But perhaps their campaigns just might have had some impact - Bono was the first person to talk about 3rd World countries needing Justice, not Handouts.  He spearheaded the Millennium Initiaitve to cancel 3rd World Debt. 

Bono's fortune (the vast majority of which he has given away secretly) is not going to solve third world poverty which is his major crusade.  To suggest all world problems could be solved by Bono handing his money over, is ridiculous. 

I also remember the song Walk On at 360 Tour when he got people to walk onto the stage with Aung San Suu Kyi masks.  He used this song to highlight her house arrest.  Shortly after, she was freed.  Up until then no one had a clue who she was.

During the ZooTV tour, he did nightly satellite links with Sarajevo.  After the war, they went and did a broadcast concert there.

...but sure wouldn't it be better if he was like Liam Gallagher; drugged out, can't sing, fighting, foul mouthed, acting the p***k everywhere he goes...

Spot on. We probably won't know the full scale of his charity contributions until after he dies, same as happened with Prince.

BennyCake

The only difference Bonzo has made is to the size of his ego.

Dougal Maguire

Oasis in their heyday were a class act.  At least you saw what you got. I like some, indeed a lot of U2s music, it's Bono's hypocrisy and lecturing that gets me.
Careful now

Puckoon

Great show at Levi's stadium. Mumford and Sons were fantastic as usual. U2 - great entrance, sound was great (have heard a few folks online complaining - but I thought it was super). With or without you was probably their poorest song of the night. Bono seemed to slip on a lyric and it just didn't sound good at all.

Is Larry Mullan Jr just grumpy looking or is he busy counting to 4 all the time?

Gmac

Quote from: Puckoon on May 19, 2017, 07:35:46 PM
Great show at Levi's stadium. Mumford and Sons were fantastic as usual. U2 - great entrance, sound was great (have heard a few folks online complaining - but I thought it was super). With or without you was probably their poorest song of the night. Bono seemed to slip on a lyric and it just didn't sound good at all.

Is Larry Mullan Jr just grumpy looking or is he busy counting to 4 all the time?
the show was great the stadium was a disaster traffic in and out beer and food lines 2 miles long

BarryBreensBandage

I see Liam Gallagher was saying he would rather eat s**t than listen to U2 - this coming from a man who wrote for his baby son:

"You live for your toys, even though they make noise
Have you ever played with plastercine
Or even tried a trampoline"

Words fail etc.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Tyrdub

can someone confirm or deny this for me please, and I hope its deny...
as an out and out U2 fan, complete nut, who was brought up in north Dublin city, lived beside friends who went to the same Mount Temple school that spawned U2, I was disturbed on hearing that Bono came out with a statement on stage in Twickenham thanking England for looking after the Irish.....first thing that popped into my head was the "no Irish or blacks" thing.
any truth he said this?

north_antrim_hound

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets