Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I think the thesis is overly harsh on U2 and Bono in particular. Music aside I think they've done a lot of good over the years. Bono's "friendships" with some pretty distasteful characters like Blair, Bush etc don't sit easy with me but I suppose if you just abuse those fcukers you won't get the mto do anything constructive. I think he has managed to get them to do some good things they probably wouldn't have done without his input so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Overall though for me the music is what it's all about. Some of the songs mentioned and others are just as magical, even more so possibly, for me when I listen to them today. I think their powers are on the wane definitely but there's still the hope if they're writing that another nugget will appear.

Much prefer to have Bono spouting than the likes of Louis and Linda telling us what to like.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on March 10, 2014, 04:31:23 PM
Of course Bono is a dick but you knew that right? Before he even opened his mouth you expect that and just shake your head and wait till he starts singing again.

But he is massive for Ireland, that can't be understated.

Was actually talking to someone who was there on Friday when he give the latest wee rant/speach. He said the place was just captivated by him and you had people from all walks of life there - politically, business leaders, entrepeneurs, etc. They couldn't get enough of him and took in every word he said. Did he not say what we all want to say - Ireland took the pain, not the banks, the IMF, the investors, the Givernment etc but the people?

They see Bono, they think Ireland and its only good. Maybe they see him in a different light than we do. But he can open doors and sit at tables that very few can and certainly very few from this wee island.

On a cushion.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 10, 2014, 04:46:21 PM
I think the thesis is overly harsh on U2 and Bono in particular. Music aside I think they've done a lot of good over the years. Bono's "friendships" with some pretty distasteful characters like Blair, Bush etc don't sit easy with me but I suppose if you just abuse those fcukers you won't get the mto do anything constructive. I think he has managed to get them to do some good things they probably wouldn't have done without his input so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Overall though for me the music is what it's all about. Some of the songs mentioned and others are just as magical, even more so possibly, for me when I listen to them today. I think their powers are on the wane definitely but there's still the hope if they're writing that another nugget will appear.

Much prefer to have Bono spouting than the likes of Louis and Linda telling us what to like.

Agreed, but why does it have to be either/or. He's a condescending shitetalker, but a brilliant singer and probably a great ambassador for Ireland. Although I think Liam Neeson is a truly great Irish ambassador. But Louis Walsh and Linda Martin sicken my shit. I would take Bono all day over them, but I wish he'd just sing and stop pretending to be Mahatma Ghandi.

Jeepers Creepers

Rasing aloft John Humes and David Trimbles hands together as someone whispers in his hear......ah Boner, these two are already mates...

Brick Tamlin

I like U2s music because in my opinion it sounds good and it resonates with me in some small way, whatever that may be.
I don't think about the person singing it and what his political viewpoints are.
I like Coldplay's music; again I like how it sounds and find it an enjoyable experience listening to it, as I do with Springsteen, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Daft Punk etc etc etc.
Everyone has different taste in music but personally speaking it wouldn't bother me if the person singing was a nasty piece of work, a jumped-up midget or a gabshite. Im more into the music than the person singing it. Suppose it does help if the person singing or playing is interesting in some way and has a personality.

On U2 specifically, yeah I like their music and ive liked most of their albums right up until recently.
If they can keep making music I like then im all for it, work away.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 10, 2014, 05:06:44 PM
I like U2s music because in my opinion it sounds good and it resonates with me in some small way, whatever that may be.
I don't think about the person singing it and what his political viewpoints are.
I like Coldplay's music; again I like how it sounds and find it an enjoyable experience listening to it, as I do with Springsteen, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Daft Punk etc etc etc.
Everyone has different taste in music but personally speaking it wouldn't bother me if the person singing was a nasty piece of work, a jumped-up midget or a gabshite. Im more into the music than the person singing it. Suppose it does help if the person singing or playing is interesting in some way and has a personality.

On U2 specifically, yeah I like their music and ive liked most of their albums right up until recently.
If they can keep making music I like then im all for it, work away.

That's grand until he starts telling you his political viewpoints in between songs, or as the intro to the songs, or at the end.

lawnseed

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 10, 2014, 04:59:36 PM
Rasing aloft John Humes and David Trimbles hands together as someone whispers in his hear......ah Boner, these two are already mates...
If only he'd known trimble is 'friends of israel'

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

J OGorman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2014, 04:47:24 PM
Quote from: Bingo on March 10, 2014, 04:31:23 PM
Of course Bono is a dick but you knew that right? Before he even opened his mouth you expect that and just shake your head and wait till he starts singing again.

But he is massive for Ireland, that can't be understated.

Was actually talking to someone who was there on Friday when he give the latest wee rant/speach. He said the place was just captivated by him and you had people from all walks of life there - politically, business leaders, entrepeneurs, etc. They couldn't get enough of him and took in every word he said. Did he not say what we all want to say - Ireland took the pain, not the banks, the IMF, the investors, the Givernment etc but the people?

They see Bono, they think Ireland and its only good. Maybe they see him in a different light than we do. But he can open doors and sit at tables that very few can and certainly very few from this wee island.

On a cushion.

:-)

lawnseed

Yeap.. South park right on the money again. Bono is the worlds biggest turd
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

muppet

Agree with Seanie on all of this.

Plus for Irish people to whinge about paying tax is beyond hypocritical. We help most of the world's mega-companies avoid paying tax, why the f*ck would a mega-organisation voluntarily like U2 pay more than they have to? A charity wouldn't pay more tax than they had to.

Finally, yes I find Bono's content struggle for the next great rock cliché all a bit tired now. But there are far greater (or should that be lesser) things to get offended by.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2014, 05:45:09 PM

Plus for Irish people to whinge about paying tax is beyond hypocritical. We help most of the world's mega-companies avoid paying tax, why the f*ck would a mega-organisation voluntarily like U2 pay more than they have to? A charity wouldn't pay more tax than they had to.

Finally, yes I find Bono's content struggle for the next great rock cliché all a bit tired now. But there are far greater (or should that be lesser) things to get offended by.

I was going to put this in and couldn't find the right words but you're spot on. Our entire economic model is based on - come here, pay less tax (and ignore a few laws here and there if needs be) and give us jobs.....pretty please.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 10, 2014, 05:58:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2014, 05:45:09 PM

I was going to put this in and couldn't find the right words but you're spot on. Our entire economic model is based on - come here, pay less tax (and ignore a few laws here and there if needs be) and give us jobs.....pretty please.

On a much more basic level we love a black ecomony eg "ah go on, you'll do it cheaper for cash", "You'll not charge the VAT surely", "who pays me my expenses".....

Armaghgeddon

I wish bands would make songs about how they feel about politics rather than have the likes of Bono preaching.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: BennyCake on March 10, 2014, 04:11:53 PM
Bono is a dick, and U2 haven't done anything decent since about 2000. I used to be a fan but nowadays, I wouldn't watch them if they were in my front garden. If they retired, I really couldn't care less.
I could have written this.  You're spot on.

BennyCake

Bingo, Bono is massive for Ireland? How? Bono is massive for himself and U2. That's all.

Bono sits at the high table these days, and pontificates about this, that and the other. The elitists have Bono in their back pocket and know how to pull the strings. Make poverty history and this bollix, it will never happen because it's all politics. Africa is still starving 30 years after Live Aid. Why? Politics. Bono isn't so stupid that he thinks he can sort all that out. He's found what he was looking for as his own song goes, and that's to feel self-important and hang around with the big boys.