The Disappeared - RTE1 now 21.35 & BBC1 22.35

Started by Kidder81, November 04, 2013, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: orangeman on November 04, 2013, 11:59:36 PM
Hard to believe that this stuff went on.

It's crazy.

We should all hang our heads.

I don't understand this. There was far worse than this but that's the nature of the beast we grew up in. People who say they're shocked now, revelled in the notoriety of being from a stronghold or having clubs named after men who carried out such deeds. It was the nature of our war and it doesn't take a fella called McIntyre to come over and tell us that.

Much worse went on on both sides.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ONeill

I don't think that many of us of a slightly older generation can express moral outrage in 2013 over what happened from 69-94, esp during the 70s. We all knew all manner of twisted deeds were being carried out but turned a blind eye because, to us, these were cruel casualties of a sometimes dirty war.

I know some republicans today have nightmares over things that they witnessed or carried out as young men. Do we involve The Hague? If so, there'll be a long line on both sides as well as the entire British cabinet,  military and the majority of politicians in Stormont.

We can reflect and hopefully learn from the events of those 30 years but leave the mock outrage to the teenagers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Saffrongael

@93DominicSF Dominic Sherry Adams

The Disappeared on @BBCOne. Yet another excuse for attacking Gerry during a very difficult time. Same old shameless British media....
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Knew a couple of people that were taken away and shot for being 'touts' was weird, it was if they never existed and their names were never mentioned.

The dirty war that was going on at that time was ruthless, no thought went into how these people were recruited and the pressure the special branch had placed on these people and their families, someone who was weak or not the full shilling would have cracked under not too much pressure, I doubt they really did it for the money, the threat of life in jail the beatings in the holding cell and other factors would have led them to it.

When entering that life though they knew how it would end if they crossed the line. Some I reckon never crossed that line and were bumped off for lesser things

The families last night are owed an explanation and the remains to put their lives back together again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

glens abu

The cases of these disappeared was a very shameful time in our history and I can only repeat what has been said by Republicans for many years now that for whatever reason this happened to them there is no excuse for it, and anyone who can help in any way to recover the bodies should do so. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: glens abu on November 05, 2013, 09:03:23 AM
The cases of these disappeared was a very shameful time in our history and I can only repeat what has been said by Republicans for many years now that for whatever reason this happened to them there is no excuse for it, and anyone who can help in any way to recover the bodies should do so.

Nobody said it at the time though glens abu, I remember the hush in the community when it happened and we all went about with our day to day life, only winching when it came on TV to remind us.

I was lucky enough to have been steered away during my youth or I suppose was never ran around with lads that were involved that much, also with my family only having limited connections the opportunity never arose.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

glens abu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2013, 09:11:51 AM
Quote from: glens abu on November 05, 2013, 09:03:23 AM

Nobody said it at the time though glens abu, I remember the hush in the community when it happened and we all went about with our day to day life, only winching when it came on TV to remind us.

I was lucky enough to have been steered away during my youth or I suppose was never ran around with lads that were involved that much, also with my family only having limited connections the opportunity never arose.

Yes agree Milltown  we lived then in different times and things happened that none of us could comprehend happening in normal circumstances,and by saying that I am not trying to excuse what happened.

AQMP

Quote from: ONeill on November 05, 2013, 01:31:54 AM

It's crazy.

I don't understand this. There was far worse than this but that's the nature of the beast we grew up in. People who say they're shocked now, revelled in the notoriety of being from a stronghold or having clubs named after men who carried out such deeds. It was the nature of our war and it doesn't take a fella called McIntyre to come over and tell us that.

I agree with this.  When the suffering of people is brought into our cosy living rooms it would be an odd type of person who did not feel sympathy for the family members and friends of those who died.  You could make 3,000 odd programmes like last night's, each of which would make for difficult viewing.

I am of the generation who could legitimately be asked the question "What were you doing when all this was going on??"  The answer is (sadly) "I was looking at my shoes...like everyone else"

orangeman

Quote from: AQMP on November 05, 2013, 09:36:45 AM
Quote from: ONeill on November 05, 2013, 01:31:54 AM

It's crazy.

I agree with this.  When the suffering of people is brought into our cosy living rooms it would be an odd type of person who did not feel sympathy for the family members and friends of those who died.  You could make 3,000 odd programmes like last night's, each of which would make for difficult viewing.

I am of the generation who could legitimately be asked the question "What were you doing when all this was going on??"  The answer is (sadly) "I was looking at my shoes...like everyone else"

That's all fair enough.

But what barometer of human suffering and pain are we using to compare atrocities ?.

I'm not sure how we can decide on a hierarchy of deeds ?

T Fearon

I think it's only now, in these relatively peaceful times, that those of us who lived through it all, and were not directly affected (I lost a few cousins but no close relatives) that we are starting to understand the pain of the victims' families. There can be no more heart rending scenario to lose a close family member, with no explanation and not being able to give them a proper burial, and having to live with this nightmare for years.

Interesting too, reading at the weekend, Bishop Mc Areavey, back after a lengthy Sabbatical, freely admitting that he until recently, never considered the pain of victims of child abuse in the Church.

AQMP

@ orangeman...

I don't think I'm saying there is/was a hierarchy of deeds.  All I can say, from my own point of view, is that North Belfast in the early to mid 1970s, looking back on it now, is a much different place to what it was then (if you see what I mean).

orangeman

Quote from: AQMP on November 05, 2013, 09:49:00 AM
@ orangeman...

I don't think I'm saying there is/was a hierarchy of deeds.  All I can say, from my own point of view, is that North Belfast in the early to mid 1970s, looking back on it now, is a much different place to what it was then (if you see what I mean).

I understand that and agree with that.

I don't understand what is meant by there was much worse things happened in the troubles.

Rossfan

Awful occurrences at an awful time in our history. So easy to condemn now.
They could at least have left the bodies somewhere to be found at the time rather than hiding them and saying nothing.

P S Nallystand on holiday ??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Interesting to see the next opinion polls. This will surely do a great of damage electorally to Sinn Fein in the south. Surely Adams' days as leader are numbered?