Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: angermanagement on July 27, 2017, 11:51:57 AM
Any VW drivers out there who got the emissions recall done to their vehicle? Did it make any difference? Have read a few reports of problems with the EGR valve after getting it done.

Getting a load of letters of VW saying it has to be done, can't see the point myself.

Are they threatening taking away the warranty and so forth?

Otherwise I wouldn't bother and wouldn't be taking it to a VW dealer for a service either.

snoopdog

Have a varta sealed battery. It keeps going flat on me. I hadon't to get  the leads out to jump 2 weeks ago drove to Clones and it was fine until wed now it's flat again. When this happened with other cars I've owned I could top the battery up with water recharge with a drive and it would be fine. Anyone know if this one can be topped up. Loads of stuff online about drilling. Don't fancy that. IT may be an electrical issue draining battery so don't want to buy new one only to find out its an electrical issue. Any advice?

Owen Brannigan

Tony Baloney

snoopdog

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 29, 2017, 08:59:23 AM
Buy a new battery.
True. Hoping it's not an electrical problem draining it

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on July 29, 2017, 12:03:49 PM
Buy a new battery.
If the battery is a few years old then it could be the battery. I was away for a week with work last month and came back and my car didn't start. It took some industrial strength jump leads to get it started as the standard Halfords type were useless. As we were taking my car to the airport last week my missus said she wasn't going on holiday until I got a new battery. I forgot how dear the f**kers were!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 29, 2017, 12:53:57 PM
Buy a new battery.
If the battery is a few years old then it could be the battery. I was away for a week with work last month and came back and my car didn't start. It took some industrial strength jump leads to get it started as the standard Halfords type were useless. As we were taking my car to the airport last week my missus said she wasn't going on holiday until I got a new battery. I forgot how dear the f**kers were!

That was a bit last minute and unreasonable of her!

gallsman

Central locking has gone on the father in law's four year old Polo. Can lock the driver's door with the key, the remote is working and the lights flash when the remote is clicked but no locking mechanism is triggered. Can't trigger it from the button inside the car either. Any ideas?

macdanger2

Buy a new battery.

Next time you're finished driving it and are going to be leaving it for a few days, disconnect the battery and see what it's like when you come back. If it starts ok, you have something drawing on the battery.

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on July 29, 2017, 03:18:26 PM
Central locking has gone on the father in law's four year old Polo. Can lock the driver's door with the key, the remote is working and the lights flash when the remote is clicked but no locking mechanism is triggered. Can't trigger it from the button inside the car either. Any ideas?
Has he looked for a blown fuse or change battery in key fob?
Could be something as simple as that or it could be more serious like maybe the solenoid for the central locking could be gone or the sensor that recieves the signal from the key to activate the solenoid could be faulty.
I'd try looking for a blown fuse first and change the battery.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

The battery is fine - the lights flash as expected when the remote is used but the lock isn't triggered. When locking with the key, only the driver door locks. Again, no central mechanism triggered.

laoislad

Actually just remembered I had a Golf once and the same thing happened. 
There is a flexible conduit with cables going from the hinged side of the frame of the drivers door to the car body.
One of the cables was cut and I had to rejoin it which solved the problem.
Maybe his Polo has something similar problem.

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on July 29, 2017, 04:00:36 PM
The battery is fine - the lights flash as expected when the remote is used but the lock isn't triggered. When locking with the key, only the driver door locks. Again, no central mechanism triggered.
Could be a sensor or solenoid fault so.

gallsman

Cheers, will have a look for him