Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Ok, here is the deal. I am looking for some free advertising on here for my business. In return I will try to advise on or answer any questions about car problems to the best of my ability.

I have a car business in Ballygawley where I sell, service, MOT/NCT and clean cars. We also supply and fit a full range of Tyres.

We are currently working on expanding the service end of the business and have invested in up to date equipment including Diagnostics for most vehicles.

I have a mechanic working for me that has 15 years experience 8 of which was at a VW dealership and is fully up to date with VW training.

We can service any type of car including timing belts/flywheels/clutches/brakes etc.

We aim to be very competitive with our prices as all we want to do is fill hours and build up a name for being good value as well as good standard of work.

Fire away with any questions and I will try to help.

Garrett.

fitzroyalty

Yes lad, I've a mk4 Golf diesel that's leaking coolant like there's no tomorrow. Been doing this near two years.

Manageable if I keep  journey distances short but if I do anything over 60-90 mins the light comes on and starts buzzing away - especially likely to happen if I'm doing 70-80mph+ on these journeys. I've had another VW mechanic look at it and he can't find a solution but I would like another opinion. It's pure annoying.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 29, 2012, 06:06:18 PM
Yes lad, I've a mk4 Golf diesel that's leaking coolant like there's no tomorrow. Been doing this near two years.

Manageable if I keep  journey distances short but if I do anything over 60-90 mins the light comes on and starts buzzing away - especially likely to happen if I'm doing 70-80mph+ on these journeys. I've had another VW mechanic look at it and he can't find a solution but I would like another opinion. It's pure annoying.
Is it actually leakIng coolant though and needs topped up constantly? Surely you just find the leak and fix it. If it is a pinhole in the radiator then just fire a bottle of Radweld in. I assume it isnt as simple as this...

laoislad

*Complete hijacking of thread alert*

Whats the story with child seats in the front of a car?
I can't turn off the passenger airbag in my van but as the wife is back to work next week and her parents are going to be minding the young lad I am going to have to pick him up someday's in my van.

If the child seat is rear facing the air bag has to be off right? I don't understand that as the car child seats are fairly solid so how is it dangerous for the child?

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

GJL

The most common place for this model to leak coolant is at the water temp sensor. It is on the right hand side of the cylinder head as you look in. It has a rubber o ring seal that perishes and leaks. That is the first place I would look.

I would avoid any sort of 'rad leak' as it may fix the leak but can cause other problems.

GJL

Quote from: laoislad on August 29, 2012, 06:46:32 PM
*Complete hijacking of thread alert*

Whats the story with child seats in the front of a car?
I can't turn off the passenger airbag in my van but as the wife is back to work next week and her parents are going to be minding the young lad I am going to have to pick him up someday's in my van.

If the child seat is rear facing the air bag has to be off right? I don't understand that as the car child seats are fairly solid so how is it dangerous for the child?

When an airbag goes off it has an explosive reaction that could shift any child seat and can release
gas that causes flash burns.

There also may be issues with the law/insurance with having a child seat in the front of a vehicle not designed for such.

gerrykeegan

know the new law
on child car seats
New EU child safety protection laws have come into force
making it compulsory for all children to travel in the
correct child seat, booster seat or booster cushion
Where safety belts have been fitted they must be worn
Children under 3 years of age must not travel in a car or goods
vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in the correct child seat
Children aged 3 years or over who are under 150cms in height and
weighing less than 36 kilograms (i.e. generally children up to 11/12
years old) must use the correct child seat, booster seat or booster
cushion when travelling in cars or goods vehicles
Children over 3 years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles
not fitted with safety belts
Rearward-facing child car seats must NEVER be used in the front
passenger seat of cars with an active airbag

Child car seats must be in accordance with EU or United Nations-
Economic Commission for Europe (UN-ECE) standards
Drivers have a legal responsibility to ensure passengers aged under
17 use the correct seat, booster seat, booster cushion or seatbelt

You will have to have the airbag taken out or switched off
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

GJL

Thanks Gerry. That explains it pretty well. What type of van is it LL? Some times if you take it to the official dealer they can switch it off without disabling the drivers airbag.

laoislad

Can't be done I'm told gerrykeegan, I was told in Opels they can only deactivate all the airbags thus leaving me with no airbag.
I know the new law alright I just don't understand why its so dangerous.
I also read on the rsa website that if the child is 20lbs and above it can go into a suitable front facing seat but the airbag must be on, I'm really just curious why it's ok to have the airbag on when it's front facing but not when it's rear facing.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Denn Forever

Rear facing childseat in front seat is not as secure fastened.  Air bag could tilt the seat into the back of the carseat.

Here is a You tube video about child seats and airbags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQ09ZGGOWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOe6amPS618&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0XqandZ0uo&feature=related
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 29, 2012, 06:42:15 PM

Is it actually leakIng coolant though and needs topped up constantly? Surely you just find the leak and fix it. If it is a pinhole in the radiator then just fire a bottle of Radweld in. I assume it isnt as simple as this...
Yes it's poison, I haven't actually looked myself but a mechanic did before and he couldn't find it, can't see me ahving any joy.

Quote from: GJL on August 29, 2012, 06:52:25 PM
The most common place for this model to leak coolant is at the water temp sensor. It is on the right hand side of the cylinder head as you look in. It has a rubber o ring seal that perishes and leaks. That is the first place I would look.

I would avoid any sort of 'rad leak' as it may fix the leak but can cause other problems.
Many thanks for that. Gentleman.

Armaghgeddon

Would anyone have an idea as to how much it would cost to replace a gearbox in a VW Golf that is 5 years old?

under the bar

Anyone know who's is good near Belfast on Audi electrics?

GJL

Quote from: under the bar on August 30, 2012, 01:11:16 AM
Anyone know who's is good near Belfast on Audi electrics?

What is the exact electrical problem? We are 50 minutes from Belfast down the M1.

GJL

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 30, 2012, 12:39:23 AM
Would anyone have an idea as to how much it would cost to replace a gearbox in a VW Golf that is 5 years old?

3 to 4 hours labour (we charge £20 per hour) plus the price of a second hand box. This could be £150 to £400 depending on the type of box required and who you buy it from.