Ireland gold medals going forward. Some bluesky thinking needed.

Started by rrhf, August 08, 2012, 11:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

funnily enough the UK Independent has had a a few articles attributing immigration as a big contributor to the UK's success.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

If we could get them to award the equestrian medals to the horses instead of the riders, we'd have another 60+ Olympic medals, according to an article I read somewhere (though I can't find any reliable table of where medal-winning horses were bred). Four of the five horses in the GB eventing team were Irish-bred, for instance.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on August 09, 2012, 12:28:50 PM
If we could get them to award the equestrian medals to the horses instead of the riders, we'd have another 60+ Olympic medals, according to an article I read somewhere (though I can't find any reliable table of where medal-winning horses were bred). Four of the five horses in the GB eventing team were Irish-bred, for instance.

I might have heard wrong but I think only two of the horses that competed in the showjumping were Irish breds.

We should push to get point-to-points into the Olympics. JT McNamara, Jamie Codd and Derek O'Connor would win more medals than that Phelps chap.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

I heard that too (only two Irish-breds in the show jumping) and it didn't seem to make sense.

Bingo

Quote from: Hardy on August 09, 2012, 12:54:12 PM
I heard that too (only two Irish-breds in the show jumping) and it didn't seem to make sense.

was it two in the top 3?

AZOffaly

Hardy, I might be missing something but how do you read that Guardian Table? When I sort on Population, it puts us at 52nd, with a score of 3.5 Bronze. When I sort by GDP we are 70th with 0.5 Bronze. What is it showing?

johnneycool

Quote from: thejuice on August 09, 2012, 11:20:04 AM
With Olympic sports, particularly athletics I found the biggest barrier to kids participation was the lack of winning.   

You either found something you could win at or you gave up and went elsewhere. There are only so many times young johnny is going to come last in the 100m before he loses all interest.

I was never renowned for my fleet footedness, but theres  no call for the bullying

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2012, 12:58:34 PM
Hardy, I might be missing something but how do you read that Guardian Table? When I sort on Population, it puts us at 52nd, with a score of 3.5 Bronze. When I sort by GDP we are 70th with 0.5 Bronze. What is it showing?

I didn't study it in detail, AZ. I decided I would compile a medals per head of population table, as a better relative indication (within limits) of countries' performance. Then I thought 'surely someone has done this' and googled it and put it up to let people know it was there. There's stuff about the methodology they used that I haven't read, but I suppose the 3.5 and 0.5 bronze medals are the actual number of bronze we have divided by a population factor and a GDP factor respectively.

the Deel Rover

Tug of war and Horse Shoe Throwing need to be added to the events asap.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Shamrock Shore

Ulick

Proper handball I thought would be the obvious sport (not that primary school nonsense "handball" that's in it at the moment).