Triathlons

Started by qwerty123, July 24, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Longer cycles would depend on who I was with.
On my own probably steady pace the whole way, maybe even just do hill repeats
With one or two others where we'd all be the same (ish) standard there'd be great competition on the hills, everyone wants it.
Club cycles tend to start off steady to 50k, then pick it up to flat out where you're dropping guys, my aim there is just to stick in but that would be with lads who cycle the RAS, animals on bikes
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FromAFar on July 23, 2013, 01:52:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2013, 01:36:53 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2013, 01:26:46 PM
Ya it takes a while not to panic when u have to miss a breath or take a mouthful of water

1.30 would be a very solid first year, if your running is that good then you'll have no problem chopping huge times off ur bike, you've over a month, I'd suggest an 80k cycle every weekend and two nights with hills in them, not too steep, stay in the saddle and churn it out, will work wonders for your power output

It gets very addictive the more you do, I'm nearly looking forward to the winter to start building my base again, the turbo sessions started last week in prep for next year! Back to three swim sessions a week now, two technique and one endurance.
[/b]

That's what I'm going to concentrate on. As you say it's a great buzz and the atmosphere is great at these events. Need to pick a route for the 80k cycling, do you go hard at them or pick a section or two to work on and go medium paced the rest?

Different training to what i did over they years playing hurling and football so once I get that base I'll be flying. My goggles broke just before we went in the water and I had another spare with me but they started to fog up after a bit, that didn't help ffs

Milltown are you part of a local club?

No club, friends are involved with Invictus East Antrim area. They sorted of got me involved but I've a lot on with refereeing and playing the odd game to get involved, I know this would improve a lot of what I'm doing.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Anyone got a Garmin 910xt or know anything about them? Using strava on the phone at the minute, great for a free app but awkward to run with it strapped to the arm.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on July 26, 2013, 07:48:20 PM
Anyone got a Garmin 910xt or know anything about them? Using strava on the phone at the minute, great for a free app but awkward to run with it strapped to the arm.

Gaming watch is a good job Jim. You can get heart monitor also with it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

serious price for those garmins! there is a fella selling one for half the price and he has only used it 5 times. anyone signed up for the Lough Neagh sprint in Ballyronan? Think im going to go for that and the Castlewellan Olympic distance one.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on July 26, 2013, 11:02:14 PM
serious price for those garmins! there is a fella selling one for half the price and he has only used it 5 times. anyone signed up for the Lough Neagh sprint in Ballyronan? Think im going to go for that and the Castlewellan Olympic distance one.

Well and truly bitten!! I hear the Castlewellan one ya have to get out of the water before 50 mins as the water can be so cold!!

Milltown Row2

Did yesterdays sprint triathlon at the Valley, smashed my time from last year by 17 minutes! Mainly the bike but took 4 minutes off my swim. Had nothing in legs for the run though, but happy to get under 1.30h

Milltown Row2

Not a mention about Aileen Reid on her silver in London yesterday, fantastic result and some effort put in by her this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhrxbAD05Y

The mens was a cracking finish also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_b4LusGFQw

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2013, 04:08:48 PM
Not a mention about Aileen Reid on her silver in London yesterday, fantastic result and some effort put in by her this year

Watched the both of them. Aileen put in a super shift and sat in very well and timed her move to perfection. Great finish for her and to be ranked overall 8th in the world is a huge marker for her. If she improves as much next year, she'll see the podium alot more.

The mens was a great finish. Gomez recovered well from an average swim but he know he had to get involved with the bike leg from the outset and done that. I was surprised that Alister Brownlee was so insistant that Johnny should have just sat on his shoulder till the last 50m, as the commentators had it different and could only see Gomez winning in the sprint. Keane had a poor swim but recovered well to work his way up the field.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on September 16, 2013, 04:55:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2013, 04:08:48 PM

Watched the both of them. Aileen put in a super shift and sat in very well and timed her move to perfection. Great finish for her and to be ranked overall 8th in the world is a huge marker for her. If she improves as much next year, she'll see the podium alot more.

The mens was a great finish. Gomez recovered well from an average swim but he know he had to get involved with the bike leg from the outset and done that. I was surprised that Alister Brownlee was so insistant that Johnny should have just sat on his shoulder till the last 50m, as the commentators had it different and could only see Gomez winning in the sprint. Keane had a poor swim but recovered well to work his way up the field.

Aye got tactics wrong I thought, Gomez has had a great season to be fair. Aileen said she was freezing and couldn't warm up!! the crashes added to the excitement

Mayo4Sam

How are the times coming along Milltown?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 17, 2013, 04:51:38 PM
How are the times coming along Milltown?

Have been really pleased recently with the times, knocking 4 minutes off the swim, 14mins off the bike,  I added a minute on to my run though, I know that I had put more effort into the first 2 so one was going to suffer. Even though I knocked 14 mins off my cycle I was more pleased with the swim even though it was just four minutes. All sprint distances to date (edit: I've done 3) so next year will be the step up to standard distance.

Had an awful time in the lake in the summer so will be pushing to get that out of my system for next season. I'd love to be in the position to one day do a Ironman but way off the mark yet.

They are so popular at the minute and I'm trying to get some friends involved to have training partners, if not I'll join a club. On another note I have to say that the craic and the banter at these events is great, everyone is supportive throughout and welcoming.

JimStynes

Anyone any big triathlons planned for next year? Not sure what to do as I am hoping to play football next year after recovery from a back injury. Would love to do a load of sprints and one really good half IM or the alpe d'huez triathlon in July!

My swimming has improved big time! Doing a lot of work in the pool, really pleased with this as I was hardly able to swim 10 lengths of front crawl at the start of the year. Anyone got any good swim sessions?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on December 19, 2013, 07:21:24 PM
Anyone any big triathlons planned for next year? Not sure what to do as I am hoping to play football next year after recovery from a back injury. Would love to do a load of sprints and one really good half IM or the alpe d'huez triathlon in July!

My swimming has improved big time! Doing a lot of work in the pool, really pleased with this as I was hardly able to swim 10 lengths of front crawl at the start of the year. Anyone got any good swim sessions?

Roe Valley sprint one, they have a juvenile one so my kid is game for doing it also. But will have a look after xmas. Plan to join a swim club for a term to bring that up to speed and get a coach/PT at the gym who's heavy into the Triathlons for a couple of sessions

Mayo4Sam

Good to see ur back from the injury JS, did you have the surgery?

If ur doing the HIM and playing football I'd limit the tris to 4/5. I did 9 last year and it's easy to burn out. I peaked after 6 of 9 this year