Golf. Why?

Started by Eamonnca1, July 18, 2013, 10:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2013, 11:20:13 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2013, 10:40:31 PM
Can't stand the bloody stuff myself .
I see that McIllroy gasún about whom  all the fuss was about seems to be rapidly going downhill.

Is there anything you do like?
Lots of things - not in order of preference
Everything Roscommon related ( maybe with the exception of some Councillors/Senators/TDs)
Football
Porther
The missus ( used to be women in general but ...)
the kids
Traditional music played by a Ros person
Lough Ree Lough Key Lake O'Flynn etc etc
An Ghaeilge
TG4
local GAA club's teams
Crossing any of the Shannon Bridges back into Ros
The Ballagh Rossies
Whoever bates Mayowr ...

As well as Golf I don't like Rubby, Soccer, horse racing , greyhound racing, other football teams, Cos. Layhtrum, Mayo,Galway, Politicians, Orange Order, Developers, Bankers, Country and Western music and so on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

― Bob Newhart

Jonah

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2013, 01:40:58 PM
I see that McIllroy gasún about whom  all the fuss was about seems to be rapidly going downhill.

Everything Roscommon related ( maybe with the exception of some Councillors/Senators/TDs)
Football
Porther
the kids
An Ghaeilge
TG4
local GAA club's teams
The Ballagh Rossies
Whoever bates Mayowr ...

As well as Golf I don't like Rubby, Soccer, horse racing , greyhound racing, other football teams, Cos. Layhtrum, Mayo,Galway, Politicians, Orange Order, Developers, Bankers, Country and Western music and so on.

You should get out more. Maybe even leave the black hole of Roscommon every now and then.

Franko

Quote from: Hardy on July 19, 2013, 01:44:11 PM
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

― Bob Newhart

That's fairly good.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jonah on July 19, 2013, 01:45:02 PM
You should get out more. Maybe even leave the black hole of Roscommon every now and then.

I've seen a lot of the rest of the World and I wasn't impressed.
Certainly not a patch on this special place the Good Lord gave us  - his Chosen People.
( Pity about some of the neighbours He gave us but i suppose ther ehas to be some pain)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Puckoon

It's a challenge against yourself, and against the course. You can make it a challenge against your opponent but basically your opponent is par.

Most golfers can par any hole at their regular course. Most golfers cannot par every hole at their course during a given round. Which is weird, because I know I've parred every hole at my club, and I've birdied all but 2 of them, so why can't I shoot 72? Maybe some day I will, and that's what keeps me going out. The thrill for me is to quietly watch my improvement through the mechanical, and the mental aspects of my game.

They say that golf doesn't build character. It reveals it, for better or worse.

Plus I like wearing golf shirts on casual Friday.

Gabriel_Hurl

I like wearing them every day  :D

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 19, 2013, 12:19:15 PM
It is 4 hours each week where my smart phone leaves me alone, no emails, no texts, no calls, no facebook...Fresh air and excercise.
Could do all of that if you go fishing,cycling or walking.

Canalman

Nice way to relax for a couple of hours or so with good mates in good weather. Find 18 holes far too long, 9 holes just right. Would never play golf in the rain.

Still cannot get my head round this handicap system. Personally would find it humiliating to beat a much better golfer in a competition because I am so bad that my handicap drags my score up above his. Like an astro team playing a much better team with  1/2 stone weights attached to their legs to "even things up".
If you aren't good enough then you shouldn't win ................ end of.

Doesn't seem to bother alot of golf alickadoos though.

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2013, 08:52:15 AM
I played it for fun before the children were born - driving ranges, smaller courses etc.

After the arrival of the bairns it was more important/enjoyable to spend my free time with them instead of selfishly wandering around fields for four hours at a time hitting a ball with a stick. Seven years later it's still the same.

So golfers are pure cnust.

Eventually you will get past that stage, and the kids are too embarrassed to be seen with you and want you out of the house.

With regard to high handicappers beating low handicappers. It is only embarrassing if you are a cowboy playing off 28, when you shoudl really be off 20. Even with the handicap difference, low handicappers are generally more consistant, and I would say on average the low man tends to win.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2013, 01:40:58 PM

Football
Porther
the kids
An Ghaeilge
TG4
local GAA club's teams
The Ballagh Rossies
Whoever bates Mayowr ...

It's not reciprocated.

joemamas

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2013, 12:35:04 AM
Played tonight, first time in 2 years, I'm still at same standard, one par, 8 bogeys 2 dings 6 double bogeys 1 triple bogey? Something like that, playing off 28, should have been higher. But I actually enjoyed it and the amusement on their faces at my hurly swing :P

But I wont be joining clubs or societies, waste of time for me, 4 hours around the course, while the craic was mighty and slagging great I think I could do something better.  I get bored around the 12th hole

Always get fed up/ tired after 12 or 13 holes. Crave a few beers at theat point. Often wondeered why it was not a game with 15 holes.

laoislad

Quote from: joemamas on July 19, 2013, 04:14:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2013, 12:35:04 AM
Played tonight, first time in 2 years, I'm still at same standard, one par, 8 bogeys 2 dings 6 double bogeys 1 triple bogey? Something like that, playing off 28, should have been higher. But I actually enjoyed it and the amusement on their faces at my hurly swing :P

But I wont be joining clubs or societies, waste of time for me, 4 hours around the course, while the craic was mighty and slagging great I think I could do something better.  I get bored around the 12th hole

Always get fed up/ tired after 12 or 13 holes. Crave a few beers at theat point. Often wondeered why it was not a game with 15 holes.

I've often played 27 holes in a day and have played 36 a few times.
I love Golf both playing and watching.  Nothing like a sunday back 9 in a major for pure sporting entertainment. Unless you are into Golf you won't understand the edge of your seat excitement one can get from watching the last round of a golf tournament.

I don't like rugby or Tennis but I can understand why someone else does.I can't understand someone not getting why someone likes a different sport though.If you just love one sport surely you can get why someone else might like another? Sport is about emotions and excitement and entertainment. All sports are the same no matter which one you happen to like.

I'm not a very good golfer.I play cack handed,can drive a ball a mile but can't pitch one a few feet to save my life.
I enjoy being out on a Golf course though whatever the weather. It's relaxing and at the same time can be frustrating as hell but always enjoyable.
My favourite thing about playing Golf is when I play with the aul fella. He is nearing 70 and I know there will come a time when he isn't around to play anymore.
I'll miss it when the time comes.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Muzz

I think it boils down to those that have never played the game understanding it...

E.g. mate sitting at City Hall on Thursday with 3 others sitting near enough him that he could hear what they were talking about.  The big screen had the golf on and one of the guys turned to his other mates and said - "I don't see the point to that game its easy".

So these guys clearly do not understand how hard the game actually is.  To watch on tv and see pro's putting the ball a few feet from the hole time after time and hole after hole... is the envy of any amateur golfer as no matter how many times they try it 1 out of 100 might actually land a few feet from hole.  It is that one shot that the amateur golfer recites to himself and his mates until the next close shot.

Its a great days craic and for those that don't get to see their mates as much as they use to it is a great way to catch up.