Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

Tried this recently with Ulster Bank, was told that because we (me and oh) had land in our name, (which was purchased for the purpose of building our new first house) we could not benefit from this.  We were due to get £1000 each off this but it didn't pan out ffs, the rules for self builds were not clear at all.  Solicitor later told us it could have been used to purchase the land.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Low and Hard

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on June 05, 2017, 01:49:09 PM
Tried this recently with Ulster Bank, was told that because we (me and oh) had land in our name, (which was purchased for the purpose of building our new first house) we could not benefit from this.  We were due to get £1000 each off this but it didn't pan out ffs, the rules for self builds were not clear at all.  Solicitor later told us it could have been used to purchase the land.

I've been told something similar, a lot of conflicting information online regarding self builds. My da owns the land so there may be a way in which we could work it to get the bonus? Think I'll get speaking to a solicitor who knows the ins and outs.

DennistheMenace

Not sure if anyone has a clue on this.

Basically I have a bit of land in Fermanagh that I want to start looking at building on. The issue is less than half the land there about a ten feet drop to marsh type land. My thoughts are that I want to fill this land up to level of the rest of the good land and use as my garden. What's the best way to go about this? Nearest quarry job? Or are there environmental factors.

Hereiam

But  a sign up at the road, fill wanted and sit back and watch her go.  ;D

supersarsfields

Anyone able to recommend a glazier in Belfast to put double glazing into a house?

TIA

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 03, 2017, 02:57:44 PM
Anyone able to recommend a glazier in Belfast to put double glazing into a house?

TIA

Try Geoghegans, they appear to have an aggressive marketing campaign at the moment across the country.

https://www.conservatoryconversionsireland.com/upvc-windows-doors/

lfdown2

Looking at heating options for a new build, have narrowed it down to ground source heat pump or conventional oil heating, has anyone any experience of the former? My inclination would be to install underfloor heating along with this and we are looking at solar for water heating, haven't started talking to any companies yet for pricing either but looking for end user experience to see whether it is worth the outlay (whatever that may be).

johnneycool

Deffo go for the solar panels to heat the water. I've 4 sq metre ones (£3K IIRC)  on a 300 Litre tank and its the dogs danglies. I don't burn any oil from about May on depending on the sun and its inclination to appear which so far this year has been pretty good.

Insulate to the balls, it will pay off in the long term.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: lfdown2 on July 07, 2017, 11:17:41 AM
Looking at heating options for a new build, have narrowed it down to ground source heat pump or conventional oil heating, has anyone any experience of the former? My inclination would be to install underfloor heating along with this and we are looking at solar for water heating, haven't started talking to any companies yet for pricing either but looking for end user experience to see whether it is worth the outlay (whatever that may be).

This country is not suitable for underfloor heating because of its inability to change quickly in response in changes in the weather. 

As said above put your money into insulation and air tightness to reduce the amount of heat you will need.  Then the heat source is almost irrelevant if you spend enough on insulation, look to Scandinavian countries for standards in this area.

lfdown2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 07, 2017, 02:54:33 PM

This country is not suitable for underfloor heating because of its inability to change quickly in response in changes in the weather. 

As said above put your money into insulation and air tightness to reduce the amount of heat you will need.  Then the heat source is almost irrelevant if you spend enough on insulation, look to Scandinavian countries for standards in this area.

Would the intention not be to maintain a constant temperature which would be achieved with the insulation therefore negating the requirement to change quickly?

trueblue1234

Quote from: lfdown2 on July 07, 2017, 08:48:31 PM

Would the intention not be to maintain a constant temperature which would be achieved with the insulation therefore negating the requirement to change quickly?
Yes this country is fine for underfloor. Especially with a well sealed , insulated house. Plus liquid screeds now can react much quicker than the tradition sand cement (although the sand cement screed is better for heat retention).
As mentioned insulate the balls of it and try and get good air tightness (tape/ foam the windows essential) and the actual heat source is less important. If your going real tight on the air tightness look into a heat recovery ventilation system.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

lfdown2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 08, 2017, 12:13:53 AM
Quote from: lfdown2 on July 07, 2017, 08:48:31 PM

Yes this country is fine for underfloor. Especially with a well sealed , insulated house. Plus liquid screeds now can react much quicker than the tradition sand cement (although the sand cement screed is better for heat retention).
As mentioned insulate the balls of it and try and get good air tightness (tape/ foam the windows essential) and the actual heat source is less important. If your going real tight on the air tightness look into a heat recovery ventilation system.

When you talk about insulation would 150mm cavity insulation suffice, obviously with a sufficient u value.

trueblue1234

I went with 250 with pumped insulation. Don't forget the floor as well. It costs more inthe initial build stage but money well spent. Speak to your glazier as well regarding air tightness.

Owen Brannigan

Check the overall cost of the underfloor heating before proceeding, it is expensive.  Most put it just on the ground floor so consider that radiators would probably be used upstairs. Similarly, the ground heat source is expensive compared to a small oil or wood boiler required for a max insulation build. 

A good heat exchange system is essential when you go for max air tightness.  A cheaper system can be inefficient and noisy.  Talk to people who have installed one, the key is the type of piping used and the ability of installers.

Are you going for a block build?

trueblue1234

Cost of underfloor has come down a lot in recent years. I have to say I wouldn't consider doing radiators in a new build. Both for comfort and looks. MHRV essential especially if your doing away with trickle vents (Again I'd recommend).