Footballers with potential but never quite made it

Started by Gael85, December 24, 2010, 05:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Was just going through a few old match programmes the last couple of days. Seen a few names which I havn't heard off in years.Here is a few that came to mind that were promising young players never fulfilled their potential
Jack Ferriter(Kerry)
Declan Quill(Kerry)
Fionnan Murray(Cork)
Brendan Jer O'Sullivan(Cork)
John Concannon-(Galway)
Declan McCrossan(Tyrone)
Shane Mulholland(Down)
Wayne McCarthy(Dublin)
Conrad Murphy(Cork)
Stephen Kelly(Laois)
Derek Conroy(Laois)
Joe Cassidy(Derry)

The Worker

Uladh

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Pat Mustard

Simon Crozier is the most talented player I have ever laid eyes on. Could do anything with a ball.

The Worker

Quote from: Uladh on December 25, 2010, 04:20:40 PM

Who's simon Crozier, Armagh?

wolfe tones, derrymacash

was a rising star in every development squad, up until he fell away after minor

Don Johnson

Quote from: Pat Mustard on December 25, 2010, 05:17:40 PM
Simon Crozier is the most talented player I have ever laid eyes on. Could do anything with a ball.

Quote from: The Worker on December 25, 2010, 05:29:53 PM
Quote from: Uladh on December 25, 2010, 04:20:40 PM

Who's simon Crozier, Armagh?

wolfe tones, derrymacash

was a rising star in every development squad, up until he fell away after minor

Started off as an excellent goalkeeper, peaking at the U12 age group, though I believe his main forte was the corner back berth. Was earmarked for big things in Armagh, and regularly made a wee girl out of Finn Mo at Tones training but other commitments meant he never got to fulfill his promise.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ross4life on December 25, 2010, 05:05:27 PM
Dermot Washington (Roscommon)
James Gill (Mayo)

James Gill was the very man I thought of when I saw the title of this thread Ross. He was around for years, but he never took fire. I remember Dermot Washington as a minor, but I didn't think he had that many senior run-outs with the Ross?

Celt_Man

Every Cavan Minor Team from about 2000 to present -  and you could throw in the Under 21s team there too  ::)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ross4life

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on December 25, 2010, 11:16:12 PM
Quote from: ross4life on December 25, 2010, 05:05:27 PM
Dermot Washington (Roscommon)
James Gill (Mayo)

James Gill was the very man I thought of when I saw the title of this thread Ross. He was around for years, but he never took fire. I remember Dermot Washington as a minor, but I didn't think he had that many senior run-outs with the Ross?

Dermot would be best remembered as Minor player similar at that grade to Donal Shine, he played mostly league & a handfull of championship games but couldn't reach his potential at senior level & i suppose poor management at the time didn't help either.

I saw James play at every level & for Athlone IT he had bags of potential! i guess injury & huge Mayo squad stopped him from fulfilling his potential?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 26, 2010, 12:55:33 AM
Every Cavan Minor Team from about 2000 to present -  and you could throw in the Under 21s team there too  ::)

And Laois could write a book on this thread.

mylestheslasher

Michael Lyng, Gerald Pierson and Anthony Gaynor from Cavan

Lyng, after a spectacular start, got a bad injury and never really got going again
Gaynor burst onto the inter county scene but his totally uncontrollable temper seen him dropped from panels.
Pierson is back in this year. We all know what he is capable of but the question is whether he wants it enough.

Don Johnson

Liam Doyle and Eoin McCartan from Down, both had terrible luck with injury.

James Colgan for other reasons.

you take er!

Peter O'sullivan (Meath) Captained Meath to an All-Ireland Minor title from full forward when they scored an injury time winner v Armagh 1992. Never heard of him again.