Astronomy Thread

Started by ONeill, October 06, 2010, 09:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 13, 2012, 10:10:28 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 13, 2012, 10:01:13 PM
How is that motorised scope working out O'Neill. Seen a display of them in Currys/PC World the other day but the missus wouldn't let me look at them  :-[

Also time you were back at the books - standards are slipping.
8) Really should have a wee ? in there too.

ONeill

The scope is fine. Because of smart phones, the motorised bit is redundant now. Hateful country though for clouds.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Great sky the night. Keep er lit a wee while longer, Jesus.

LeoMc

Quote from: ONeill on August 13, 2012, 10:59:28 PM
The scope is fine. Because of smart phones, the motorised bit is redundant now. Hateful country though for clouds.
?

ONeill

Sorry, I thought Tony was referring to the auto tracking devices on it. By the time the scope has burrrrrred its way around to whatever star you've programmed it to go to, you'll have found a lot more by holding up the sky at night app on the phone.

LeoMc

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2012, 09:12:53 AM
Sorry, I thought Tony was referring to the auto tracking devices on it. By the time the scope has burrrrrred its way around to whatever star you've programmed it to go to, you'll have found a lot more by holding up the sky at night app on the phone.

Now it all makes sense. Cheers.

ONeill

Another fine moment 3 nights ago. Finally located the Andromeda galaxy. I'd a fair idea of the general location but after nearly smashing the thing in frustration at my ineptitude on a clear Tuesday night, I stumbled across it.

Jaysus, we're nothing in the universe really. Our galaxy is a small dot. Our solar system is a smallish section within our galaxy. There are billions of galaxies out there. I wonder what Larry thinks about it all.

heganboy

want to see just how insignificant we are?
http://htwins.net/scale2/
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: ONeill on September 14, 2012, 11:24:37 PM
Another fine moment 3 nights ago. Finally located the Andromeda galaxy. I'd a fair idea of the general location but after nearly smashing the thing in frustration at my ineptitude on a clear Tuesday night, I stumbled across it.

Jaysus, we're nothing in the universe really. Our galaxy is a small dot. Our solar system is a smallish section within our galaxy. There are billions of galaxies out there. I wonder what Larry thinks about it all.

It's what makes it fantastic. I am looking at getting a Seben telescope (because theyre cheap) and I do think it will be money well spent, I definitely won't run out of things to look at in the sky! Finally managed to take a picture although slighly blurry picture of Jupiter and three of it's largest moons the other night,

ONeill

Quote from: heganboy on September 14, 2012, 11:46:48 PM
want to see just how insignificant we are?
http://htwins.net/scale2/

Bloody brilliant. Took me a wee while to know to move the cursor at the bottom.

ONeill

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on September 14, 2012, 11:47:30 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 14, 2012, 11:24:37 PM

It's what makes it fantastic. I am looking at getting a Seben telescope (because theyre cheap) and I do think it will be money well spent, I definitely won't run out of things to look at in the sky! Finally managed to take a picture although slighly blurry picture of Jupiter and three of it's largest moons the other night,

That's my final big wish. I've yet to get Jupiter and moons. I will before the month is out. 

Armaghgeddon

Oneill, what telescope do you have?

Taken from a HX100V, I do need to improve handling of camera  :-[

ONeill

It's a Meade 70. Nothing adventurous. Is it easy enough to pick up the gizmo to connect the camera to the scope?

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: ONeill on September 15, 2012, 03:16:40 PM
It's a Meade 70. Nothing adventurous. Is it easy enough to pick up the gizmo to connect the camera to the scope?

Could I connect a camera to it?

ONeill