Plan for Mosque near Ground Zero

Started by Hedley Lamarr, May 18, 2010, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Quote from: deiseach on September 16, 2010, 09:40:53 PM
It has to be said that those defending the right to build a mosque (or whatever) should also be prepared to defend Terry Jones' right to burn Korans. Right?
Exactly.....but the million dollar question is and has been;
SHOULD THEY ?.....not do they have the RIGHT TO!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

Quote from: deiseach on September 16, 2010, 09:54:27 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on September 16, 2010, 09:43:56 PM
Defend his right, sure. He has a constitutional right. I don't think anyone ever denied that.

He also has a constitutional right to arm bears, and to freedom of speech. That doesn't mean its a good idea to walk into Harlem with a gun and start calling people niggers.

Could you not make that argument about the mosque?

It depends on the motivation for me in fairness - and I don't know enough about the motivation behind the driving force to build the mosque. One seems to me to stem from a desire to provide a religious community with a community centre and a place of worship - while the other (the Koran burning, before any smart arse twists my words) in my opinion is a destructive, divisive, unashamed incitation of racial hatred.

Being of a deferring personality - if I was in charge of the mosque - I would build it somewhere else - but the bottom line is that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 16, 2010, 10:03:37 PM
It has to be said that those defending the right to build a mosque (or whatever) should also be prepared to defend Terry Jones' right to burn Korans. Right?

The question should be "why shouldn't they build it?"

And so far the answers have been rather unconvincing...

Tyrones own

Quote from: J70 on September 16, 2010, 10:24:05 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on September 16, 2010, 10:03:37 PM

Right but can we agree to move on from the tired old constitutional rights non argument?
I have stated my piece on it, this Imam sheepishly told CNN during that interview that had he known it would cause so much angst in the placing the Mosque at it's proposed location he would have pressed to have built it else where... but the week before when touring the Arab world, he answered that very question quite differently, that Of course it was always going to be contentious.
So I personally don't believe a word from him and again, if he was in earnest about building bridges, mending relations or to at least show some bit of sensitivity, this was no way to go about it!!!
You'd have to be smoking something to go out of your way not to agree with that,
even in the slightest manner IMO :-\
  - Walter Lippmann

PadraicHenryPearse

What the Inam said was he didn't think it would cause THIS much angst. From my understanding and watching the clips he understood people would have strong feelings about it but didn't expect what is going on now.

Why should he be building bridges etc.? What has he done, that he needs to build bridges?

Who should he show sensitivity too? As i asked earlier are their feeling more important than other Americans?

We have had some guy saying he will build a gay strip club accross from the Cultural centre. Would there be as much outrage if that was at Ground Zero?

Tyrones own

QuoteWhat the Inam said was he didn't think it would cause THIS much angst. From my understanding and watching the clips he understood people would have strong feelings about it but didn't expect what is going on now.
First part is partially correct in that had he known he would never have pushed for it.. Second part in bold in your understanding is incorrect.... I stated the contrast of what he actually said on both occasions above! He didn't know to Americans but did know to the Arab world ::)
QuoteWhy should he be building bridges etc.? What has he done, that he needs to build bridges?
Already been answered!
Who should he show sensitivity too? As i asked earlier are their feeling more important than other Americans?
Already covered also!...and do you really have to ask ???
QuoteWe have had some guy saying he will build a gay strip club accross from the Cultural centre. Would there be as much outrage if that was at Ground Zero?
Wise up!
  - Walter Lippmann

PadraicHenryPearse

I have re-read all your posts. I think one or two give your opinions on the topic (Reply #92 on: August 28, 2010, 02:40:08 AM). All the rest are shooting down other peoples opinions with patronising comments and smiley face.

If you were a troll you would be the best troll in the world, but your not????

It seems it comes down to this with you. As you are shy to actually give you opinion i will try and see do i get it right and you can say thats my opinion or not.

The stated goal of the "Mosque" by the Inam was to build better relations between Muslims and the West. By choosing this location it is not building better relations. On these grounds as its stated goal is not being achieved it should be moved.

i can see your rational behind that argument. I disagree as i think by moving the "mosque" they are playing into the hands of ignorance.

Tyrones own

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/ground_zero_mosque_imam_faisal_rauf_o173R8S3JZnekEC4V08H9L
Tut Tut.....The "Slum Lord" can't run a couple of rental properties in a safe and ethical manner nor show up for a court
date for that matter but expects to be responsible for a 100 Million dollar mosque in lower Manhattan  :o
  - Walter Lippmann

PadraicHenryPearse

so he is a capitalist....Surely this should improve his standing with the right.

edit: i see from the comments this is not the case. And honestly i've lived in some shitholes and i hate landlords like this. This was running on Fox about two weeks ago. Surely he could have done something about it. For someone the right like to make out has all these secret agendas, you'd think he would be smarter on this issue but then maybe he didn't think he would be under this much scrutiny and did thing he could built a cultural centre without all the fuss.

heganboy

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 16, 2010, 08:06:48 PM
has the far left running scared

unfortunately the far left and the far right do not run scared they attack without rhyme or reason and will also concoct ridiculous stories that will somehow manage to hit the "news" channels- thanking Jon Stewart for restoring sanity
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

deiseach

Quote from: J70 on September 16, 2010, 10:24:05 PM

A fair point

Hedley Lamarr

Moore raises $60,000 for Muslim community center
By BARBARA FERGUSON | ARAB NEWS

Published: Sep 21, 2010 23:52 Updated: Sep 21, 2010 23:52

WASHINGTON: Just when one thought the controversy over the construction of a Muslim community center in New York had died down, documentary filmmaker Michael Moore announced that he has raised over $60,000 for its construction.

On the other side are unconfirmed rumors that some NY construction workers may refuse to work on the proposed community center.

Never one to shy away from controversy, Michael Moore has jumped into fundraising for the Muslim community center which has inflamed passions and protests on opposite ends of the globe, mainly in the Middle East and at the proposed site in New York.

Moore made an appeal to his supporters on the ninth anniversary of 9/11 for donations to the construction project, pledging to match contributions up to $10,000.

Less than 48 hours later, five times that amount had poured into the contribution coffers as hundreds of people from around the country heeded Moore's call.

"Times are tough economically, and supporting our Muslim brothers and sisters is not a popular thing to do right now," Moore said on his blog. "I am truly touched by your generosity — and people around the world will know that you, too, represent an America they rarely get to see."

The proposed mosque, known as Park51, will include a swimming pool and a theater and is expected to cost more than $100 million.

"Blaming a whole group for the actions of just one of that group is anti-American," Moore wrote. "Timothy McVeigh was Catholic. Should Oklahoma City prohibit the building of a Catholic Church near the site of the former federal building that McVeigh blew up?"

In a posting on his website and an interview on CNN, the liberal filmmaker upped the emotional ante on the controversy by saying:  "Don't build it near ground zero, he argued. Build it on ground zero."

Moore framed his argument as a response to the furor the proposed mosque has ignited and what he calls the "bullying" of American Muslims. 

The director insists that Islam was "stolen from the real Muslims" at the Twin Towers, and it should be given back to them on the same spot.

"There is a McDonald's two blocks from Ground Zero. Trust me, McDonald's has killed far more people than the terrorists," Moore said.

"Let's face it, all religions have their whackos....But we don't judge whole religions on just the actions of their whackos."

At the other extreme, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich recently likened the erection of a mosque near ground zero to the placing of a Nazi sign near the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.

Many Americans agree with Moore about what he called the shameful bullying of American Muslims. They view it as un-American and unnecessary, given that there already is a mosque in that neighborhood and has been for 40 years.

Moore and Gingrich thus become liberal and conservative bookends.

As if that wasn't enough, Woody Allen has spoken up in favor the proposed mosque and community center, condemning both sides for talking about the mosque.

"I'm for the building of the mosque," Allen said. "I think that all the people weighing in on it except for the people that lost someone at Ground Zero" are "exploitative, fake, frauds. They're using it for personal reasons and political reasons."

Allen was at the premiere of his new film, "You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger."

Allen said the center would go a long way in building up tolerance and protecting America from another attack.

"If I could speak to people that lost relatives and loved ones, I would try and convince them, if I could, that to build the mosque goes a way towards seeing that this kind of thing doesn't happen again," Allen told Inside Edition. "And to intolerantly not build the mosque is just polarizing and leads to the kind of problems that rake up this type of conflict."

The director is the latest in a line of celebrities to weigh in on the controversial plan. Before Michael Moore announced he was raising money for the project, Donald Trump put in a bid for the property and offered to help build it elsewhere.

On top of all this are unconfirmed rumors on conservative airwaves that construction workers may refuse to build the Park 51 Mosque.

The planned 13-story Park51 has exploded into a national debate after President Obama appeared to offer support for the project.

Despite all the hoopla, it is important to note that the Building Trades Employers' Association has not yet taken a formal position on the project or a potential boycott by union workers.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

EC Unique

I  am perplexed that so many of my friends are against a mosque being built near Ground Zero. I think it should be the goal of every American to be tolerant.  The mosque should be  allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance.

That  is why I also propose, that two gay nightclubs be opened next  door to the mosque thereby promoting tolerance within the  mosque. We could call the clubs "The Turban Cowboy" and "You  Mecca Me So Hot". 

Next  door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork and have  an open barbeque with spare ribs as its daily special.   Across the street a very daring lingerie store called  "Victoria Keeps Nothing Secret" with sexy mannequins in the  window modeling the goods. 

Next  door to the lingerie shop, there would be room for an Adult Toy Shop (Koranal Knowledge?), its name in flashing neon lights, and on the other side a liquor store, maybe call it "Morehammered"?

muppet

Quote from: EC Unique on September 23, 2010, 04:33:04 PM
I  am perplexed that so many of my friends are against a mosque being built near Ground Zero. I think it should be the goal of every American to be tolerant.  The mosque should be  allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance.

That  is why I also propose, that two gay nightclubs be opened next  door to the mosque thereby promoting tolerance within the  mosque. We could call the clubs "The Turban Cowboy" and "You  Mecca Me So Hot". 

Next  door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork and have  an open barbeque with spare ribs as its daily special.   Across the street a very daring lingerie store called  "Victoria Keeps Nothing Secret" with sexy mannequins in the  window modeling the goods. 

Next  door to the lingerie shop, there would be room for an Adult Toy Shop (Koranal Knowledge?), its name in flashing neon lights, and on the other side a liquor store, maybe call it "Morehammered"?

That can be found on every block in south Manhattan?

MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on September 23, 2010, 05:00:18 PM
That can be found on every block in south Manhattan?

Come on along and listen to
The lullaby of Broadway