What is 'discussion?'

Started by longrunsthefox, March 07, 2010, 10:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 08, 2010, 07:59:11 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 08, 2010, 07:23:43 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 08, 2010, 12:32:14 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 08, 2010, 12:06:06 AM
Basically a mini-blog, where you can post anything up to 140 characters in length. Closest thing I can think of, is the status on Facebook.

Ziggy I know what twitter is, kinda just saying it's pointless.
What about my other point?

Ridiculous statement. Facebook and Twitter are the two biggest marketing tools on the planet.

How is it ridiculous, I don't use it, therefore to me its pointless! I don't particularly want to know when someone else's "celebrity" passes wind.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: gallsman on March 08, 2010, 09:21:25 PM
Do you use Facebook? If so, why is it any more useful or relevant than Twitter?

All they are are another method of communication. Just because you don't use one doesn't make it pointless.

I use facebook, albeit on a very limited basis, and wouldn't miss it if it disappeared tomorrow, something else would just replace it. Thanks for taking such an interest in my use and views on social networking sites, I also have a Bebo account which I've looked at 3-4 times in about 2 years.
Tbc....

gallsman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 09, 2010, 11:05:27 AM

All they are are another method of communication. Just because you don't use one doesn't make it pointless.

I use facebook, albeit on a very limited basis, and wouldn't miss it if it disappeared tomorrow, something else would just replace it. Thanks for taking such an interest in my use and views on social networking sites, I also have a Bebo account which I've looked at 3-4 times in about 2 years.

Put it like this, you could consider the opposite of something being pointless being relevant. A few weeks ago a tweet by a relatively minor politician played a major role in snowballing a situation that ended up with one of the country's highest ranking and popular politicians being forced to resign. I'd consider that pretty relevant, wouldn't you?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: gallsman on March 09, 2010, 11:12:44 AM

Put it like this, you could consider the opposite of something being pointless being relevant. A few weeks ago a tweet by a relatively minor politician played a major role in snowballing a situation that ended up with one of the country's highest ranking and popular politicians being forced to resign. I'd consider that pretty relevant, wouldn't you?

As could an e-mail, phone call etc, I actually have missed this story and couldn't really be bothered checking it out (up to my neck at work for the last month and a half).
Gallsman I think its pointless to me, I don't use it and can honestly say I've never even logged onto it (I may even now check it out to see what all the fuss is about).
Tbc....

gallsman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 09, 2010, 11:17:46 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 09, 2010, 11:12:44 AM

As could an e-mail, phone call etc, I actually have missed this story and couldn't really be bothered checking it out (up to my neck at work for the last month and a half).
Gallsman I think its pointless to me, I don't use it and can honestly say I've never even logged onto it (I may even now check it out to see what all the fuss is about).

Perhaps pointless on a personal level. Like I said, it's just another form of communication like letters or texting or email.

From a business perspective however, it's incredible and provides the opportunity to instantly deliver information to millions of people in a matter of seconds.