?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

under the bar

Celtic expect Rangers' EBT 'sporting advantage' review
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40510207

Can't see how anyone could expect the biased SPFL to do anything but uphold the "no competitive advantage was gained" line in favour of Rangers, but how come UEFA aren't the adjudicating body in all of this?

Main Street

Quote from: under the bar on July 05, 2017, 11:24:19 PM

Can't see how anyone could expect the biased SPFL to do anything but uphold the "no competitive advantage was gained" line in favour of Rangers, but how come UEFA aren't the adjudicating body in all of this?
Why do you think the point of Celtic's statement is to expect a different outcome from the SPL?
Considering that since the  bizarre - "no competitive advantage was gained"  from the financial doping judgement-  there have been 2 court decisions which have swung the other way against old Rangers, it's Celtic's  prerogative to expect a review of the original decision in the light of a changed (illegal) context and to again reiterate their considered opposition about the original decision.
Sometimes it's okay when there's a perceived injustice, to highlight  some years later,  'see, we were right, we knew then and we know now, you fcked up with your no competitive advantage was gained judgement'.

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on July 06, 2017, 02:14:25 AM

Why do you think the point of Celtic's statement is to expect a different outcome from the SPL?
Considering that since the  bizarre - "no competitive advantage was gained"  from the financial doping judgement-  there have been 2 court decisions which have swung the other way against old Rangers, it's Celtic's  prerogative to expect a review of the original decision in the light of a changed (illegal) context and to again reiterate their considered opposition about the original decision.
Sometimes it's okay when there's a perceived injustice, to highlight  some years later,  'see, we were right, we knew then and we know now, you fcked up with your no competitive advantage was gained judgement'.

They dont want to tackle the problem as it will bring out the very worst in rangers. However the very basis of Lord Nimo Smith's judgement was blown out of the water yesterday so they may not have any choice but to look at it again. Lets see will other clubs get involved. For me the fairest outcome is to strip the trophies but don't award them to anyone else.

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on July 05, 2017, 02:43:40 PM
Quote from: Hectic on July 05, 2017, 01:05:55 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 05, 2017, 12:50:23 PM
Whats the story regarding tickets for Windsor? One part of me doesn't want to give them any of my money but at the same time to go there and watch Celtic make we boys out of them should not be missed. I think Celtic are wrong to not take their ticket allocation as i believe it'll be more dangerous for we pockets of fans going to the ground not policed (which will happen), at least if the Celtic fans had a stand they can be segregated and policed to avoid any of the vampires looking victims. I just hope things pass off without incident but can't see it.

Yeah thinking about going myself - difficulty will arise in the extremely unlikely event Linfield score and everyone around you is going bananas.
That's just a bad feeling, not a life threatening difficulty,
I'd say a difficulty might arise when Celtic score, you loose the run of the yourself, are up on your feet roaring and celebrating and then you feel something akin to an overbearing malicious silence, you stop and look around.

Many years ago (1988 i think) i went up for a world cup qualifier. I was only a teenager and had a few pints on board but Houghton nearly scored after about 5 mins and i leapt up (i was in the main stand). Got serious abuse for the rest of the game and we ended up leaving early. I honestly thought we were going to get a serious kicking that night or maybe even worse.

T Fearon

That was the nil nil draw in World Cup qualifier.Like all venues when you are an away fan in among home support it is better to keep the head low and emotions in check.Atmosphere was bad that night.

Hectic

Rangers (IL) titles and cup from the period of financial doping have to go - plain and simple.

T Fearon

They should go but will they? Rangers,and Celtic too for that matter,are so important to Scotland and its economy that you get the feeling they have special protections above and beyond sporting bodies.

Hectic

I think it should be pretty clear cut - it is hard to defend - in fact as well as the cups and titles, Regan and Doncaster and whoever else was involved with overseeing, facilitating and judging should be walking also.  Laid bare it is probably the biggest case of cheating in UK and possibly European football history.

themac_23

Titles should be stripped, the problem is Rangers fans think celtic fans want them awarded to us. i know any celtic fan i chat to doesn't want them but equally, we shouldn't listen to this going for 55 Sh*t when they cheated for a number of them, strip the titles and have it right on the record books.

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on July 06, 2017, 07:29:05 AM

They dont want to tackle the problem as it will bring out the very worst in rangers. However the very basis of Lord Nimo Smith's judgement was blown out of the water yesterday so they may not have any choice but to look at it again. Lets see will other clubs get involved. For me the fairest outcome is to strip the trophies but don't award them to anyone else.
The very basis of the judgement was "no competitive advantage was gained from the financial doping".
They didn't state that it could not be proven beyond doubt that Rangers gained an advantage. Instead they emphatically stated as a provable truth beyond doubt, an indisputable truth, that Rangers gained no benefit. That's what I find bizarre.

In the light of this supreme court judgement, I don't know what rules old Rangers could be charged with and the penalties for breaching them.
On it's own, gaining competitive advantage is a very difficult thing to prove beyond doubt, without any specific rule being in place.
It's more simple in sports with use of banned substance to enhance performance, the investigation team don't have to look for proof that the substance benefited the athlete because the substance is already on a banned list. The only evidence needed is enough to prove that the sportsperson had it present in their system.

Stripping of titles won by  athletes found guilty of substance abuse is a more recent development but somehow it could be applied retrospectively

tonto1888

Quote from: themac_23 on July 06, 2017, 10:37:53 AM
Titles should be stripped, the problem is Rangers fans think celtic fans want them awarded to us. i know any celtic fan i chat to doesn't want them but equally, we shouldn't listen to this going for 55 Sh*t when they cheated for a number of them, strip the titles and have it right on the record books.

Sure we didn't finish second in all the years they cheated did we?

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on July 06, 2017, 11:14:14 AM
Quote from: straightred on July 06, 2017, 07:29:05 AM

The very basis of the judgement was "no competitive advantage was gained from the financial doping".
They didn't state that it could not be proven beyond doubt that Rangers gained an advantage. Instead they emphatically stated as a provable truth beyond doubt, an indisputable truth, that Rangers gained no benefit. That's what I find bizarre.

In the light of this supreme court judgement, I don't know what rules old Rangers could be charged with and the penalties for breaching them.
On it's own, gaining competitive advantage is a very difficult thing to prove beyond doubt, without any specific rule being in place.
It's more simple in sports with use of banned substance to enhance performance, the investigation team don't have to look for proof that the substance benefited the athlete because the substance is already on a banned list. The only evidence needed is enough to prove that the sportsperson had it present in their system.

Stripping of titles won by  athletes found guilty of substance abuse is a more recent development but somehow it could be applied retrospectively
They won the league on the last day of the 2002/3 season by beating dunfirmline 6-1. 5 of those 6 goals were scored by players on EBTs, i.e. players that wouldn't have been there except for the financial doping. This is as clear cut case as you'll ever see

straightred

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 06, 2017, 12:45:57 PM

I suppose you'd have to plug a 3-0 defeat into every game they played and see how the table pans out. They would be fairer than simply picking who came second. Anyway as the themac says i don't think there is any great desire from anybody else to get the trophies - this is more about taking them away from sevco

Hectic

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 06, 2017, 12:45:57 PM

I am not sure.  I am in the don't want them corner anyway and instead have an '*' beside them so as for generations to come when anyone asks why no club is beside them an explanation has to follow of how the old Rangers operated in the years leading up to their death.

If you were talking awarding them elsewhere then I think you could be looking at 3-0 victories awarded in every game Rangers 1872 played in due to playing illegal players.  This means it might not be as simple as the team coming second being in line for them.

And in relation to no sporting advantage and the difficulty in determining that - is there not a breach of league rules in terms of registering players.  Along the lines of players must have one contract fully registered with the league whereas these EBTs would have been a second part of or an additional contract so may not even need to worry about proving sporting advantage if illegal players were being fielded game after game, year after year.

Hectic

And it will get interesting in this regard when HMRC start contacting recipients looking to recover what they are owed.  A lot more detail to come on what players believed they were receiving and no better way of getting that information that when they are getting tax demands.