?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

bennydorano

They'll probably be a step up from Rangers tbf

mrdeeds

Even if it's moved to the 11th will that not still be a bad time for security personnel?

bennydorano

If it does come to pass and lands on the 11th / 12th  I'd say it'll be in Glasgow even if it means reversing home advantage 2nd. That or they move the date of the game. Things could get out of hand very quickly in Belfast especially if there was anything contentious on the day as well.

Hectic

UEFA will make the call. Good chance if it is to go ahead on their halloween that Celtic will not take up ticket allocation. Sevco sites already planning pitched battles. The hangers on will be the biggest problem.

yellowcard

Lets just hope that the San Marino crowd can take down Linfield in the first round. This is not a fixture you'd want to be attending, or certainly not the Belfast leg anyway.

PAULD123

Linfield have said that it will NOT be on the 12th. Also have said that they expect it to be on 11th around 5pm in Belfast and that Celtic have not complained about that.

The big problem for Linfield is that a first leg in Belfast is a huge money spinner. But if they reverse the fixture and take a hammering in Glasgow then the second leg in Belfast lacks TV interest and become a dead rubber. There is no suitable neutral venue because they already play at the national stadium. Meaning Dublin is the only alternative venue and there is no way the Linfield or supporters would be willing to go to Landsdowne Road. Also do Celtic want six thousand orangemen descending on Parkhead on the 12th of July?

I wish this match hadn't been drawn. NI is in a precarious state at the moment with this DUP-Tory deal and the lack of a Stormont assembly. Secatraianism is the last thing we need right now. How happy would a Dundalk v Celtic event have been???

I would not be surprised if the vicious fervor of Linfield fans results in then being banned by UEFA when they unleash sectarian hell in front of the continents TV cameras. If there is any positive to be taken it may raise a  question over the whole 12th celebration itself and its immoral nature.

ned

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 20, 2017, 12:18:43 PM
Linfield have said that it will NOT be on the 12th. Also have said that they expect it to be on 11th around 5pm in Belfast and that Celtic have not complained about that.

The big problem for Linfield is that a first leg in Belfast is a huge money spinner. But if they reverse the fixture and take a hammering in Glasgow then the second leg in Belfast lacks TV interest and become a dead rubber. There is no suitable neutral venue because they already play at the national stadium. Meaning Dublin is the only alternative venue and there is no way the Linfield or supporters would be willing to go to Landsdowne Road. Also do Celtic want six thousand orangemen descending on Parkhead on the 12th of July?

I wish this match hadn't been drawn. NI is in a precarious state at the moment with this DUP-Tory deal and the lack of a Stormont assembly. Secatraianism is the last thing we need right now. How happy would a Dundalk v Celtic event have been???

I would not be surprised if the vicious fervor of Linfield fans results in then being banned by UEFA when they unleash sectarian hell in front of the continents TV cameras. If there is any positive to be taken it may raise a  question over the whole 12th celebration itself and its immoral nature.

I don't doubt the vileness of the Linfield support, much like their Glasgow cousins. However, you seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions there. The San Marino team might just have a say in matters. You are also being a tad melodramatic with regards the influence of this potential match on political goings on.

PAULD123

Not sure I am being that dramatic at all Ned. Northern Ireland is on the brink of collapse. We constantly live life on a political knife edge and right now with the extremer parties gaining all the power, a huge sectarian event is the last thing we need. You don't live here do you? Have you ever lived in northern Ireland?

ned

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 20, 2017, 03:30:27 PM
Not sure I am being that dramatic at all Ned. Northern Ireland is on the brink of collapse. We constantly live life on a political knife edge and right now with the extremer parties gaining all the power, a huge sectarian event is the last thing we need. You don't live here do you? Have you ever lived in northern Ireland?

I'm originally from the north, moved away 20 years ago. Coincidentally just as the troubles were coming to an 'end'. Oops, should have moved sooner. I'm not that far out of the loop but not living there doesn't give me first hand knowledge of the situation. However, a football match is unlikely to have a bearing on future political ramifications.

tonto1888

Quote from: ned on June 20, 2017, 05:11:19 PM

I'm originally from the north, moved away 20 years ago. Coincidentally just as the troubles were coming to an 'end'. Oops, should have moved sooner. I'm not that far out of the loop but not living there doesn't give me first hand knowledge of the situation. However, a football match is unlikely to have a bearing on future political ramifications.

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/09/28/zvonimir-boban-and-the-kick-that-started-a-war/

Main Street

A possible event I'd have some concern about is that some Celtic fans from the north or Celtic fans for the day,would become embroiled in some shemozzle which would have consequences for the club
Most likely that Linfield will beat this San Marino team.

ned

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 20, 2017, 07:19:58 PM

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/09/28/zvonimir-boban-and-the-kick-that-started-a-war/

Very good. Slightly different scenario! I wasn't talking about any football match, it is this specific potential match I was referring to.

illdecide

This is a football match, it's sport FFS. If Linfield enter the competition then they should honour the dates and times set by UEFA. They obviously are that sectarian they cannot guarantee the safety of patrons entering their ground, UEFA rules state that the game must be played on either a Tue or Wed of that week they are drawn out to play. It's not Celtic's fault that Linfield cannot stage this game and provide a safe environment for the fans of Celtic FC.
The way things are going Celtic FC do not want to take up their ticket allocation for this game for safety reasons, maybe Celtic fans should stay away and not give the Catholic hating club their hard earned money...UEFA should also reduce their capacity due to high risk security, again bigotry will probably win over sport. I know for a fact that Celtic work closely with Strathclyde Police and provide them with everything and anything needed to provide a safe environment for all spectators in Celtic Park, it's obvious Linfield and the PSNI cannot do the same.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Applesisapples

This is a game of soccer. Whilst I do not like the politics of the largely loyalist following that Linfield have, it does not mean that they are anymore inclined to violence than Celtic fans. Indeed there is nothing wrong with orange and green banter if it is given and taken in the right spirit. The problem is that there will be elements who do not normally support either club who will banwaggon jump for more sinister purposes.

tonto1888

Quote from: ned on June 20, 2017, 10:45:14 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 20, 2017, 07:19:58 PM

Very good. Slightly different scenario! I wasn't talking about any football match, it is this specific potential match I was referring to.

fair enough. I doubt this match, if it happens, would have any ramifications on the political landscape of the north either