The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 17, 2017, 01:41:39 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on May 17, 2017, 12:07:42 AM
The typical hysterical democrat position that we've come to expect, call someone a racist, fascist, sexist etc if you don't like someones point of view.

The Democratic position is to call someone a racist, fascist, or sexist if they're a racist, fascist, sexist. The conservative response is to cry like a wounded puppy about how the big boys are picking on you.
Hey Eamon - People in glass houses and all that.

racist - Black Lives Matter
fascist - the occupy Protestors and their denying of free speech
sexist  - Bill Clinton

Democrats have ticked the boxes. Yet to see them correct themselves in their disgusting behaviour.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Declan

QuoteDemocrats have ticked the boxes. Yet to see them correct themselves in their disgusting behaviour.

Exactly - Remember when we had Obama's scandals to deal with  ;)?

Declan

Hard to believe the exchange below

"This is like something straight out of George Orwell."
by Bess Levin,
May 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Few of Donald Trump's genuinely populist economic proposals from the campaign trail seem to have survived the transition to the White House. In retrospect, it seems foolish to have put any stock whatsoever in his sundry musings about "the government" paying for everyone's health care, or hedge funds "getting away with murder," or how the wealthy should "pay more" in taxes, or how he'd like to see a minimum wage "increase of some magnitude." Each of those proposals was quickly replaced by its opposite, almost as if Trump doesn't care about the words he says or actually believe in anything at all.

So it should come as no surprise that Donald Trump has vacillated on the possibility of bringing back Glass-Steagall, the Depression-era law that separated commercial and investment banks until 1999 and the repeal of which some people blame for the financial crisis. "I'm looking at that right now," Trump told Bloomberg earlier this month. "There's some people that want to go back to the old system, right? So we're going to look at that."

Historically, a sitting president mulling the possibility of breaking up the big banks would have sent shivers down the spines of Wall Street C.E.O.s, with a market reaction to match. Instead, investors barely blinked. Because, by their own admission, no one on Wall Street really takes Trump seriously anymore. At this point, they're fully aware of the fact that by a quirk of biology, the president's brain is not connected to his mouth and so the words just tumble out at will. "I don't take Trump seriously," a senior executive with "one of the country's six largest banks" told Reuters earlier this month. "I'm listening less and less." "Break up the banks? That ain't going to happen," Citigroup adviser Rick Hohlt told Bloomberg.

The pronouncements of other Trump minions appear similarly worthless. Lately, some administration officials have taken to using the term "21st-century Glass-Steagall"—a term they claim does not actually involve breaking up banks, which is kind of like when Ivanka Trump said she was "complicit," if complicit meant "wanting to be a force for good and to make a positive impact."

Senator Elizabeth Warren is a very smart woman who, like Wall Street, is presumably wise to the fact that one cannot take Trump and Co. literally or seriously. But bringing back Glass-Steagall is something she's advocated for years, having introduced just such a proposal in 2015. So when Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin showed up to testify before the Senate Banking Committee on Thursday, she decided to take the opportunity to force him to admit that when Donald Trump says he's "looking into" breaking up the banks, he's actually full of it. The result was an absolutely surreal exchange that must be read in full:

Elizabeth Warren: You said we need a 21st-century Glass-Steagall at your confirmation hearing. And now you've just said the opposite. In the past few months, you and the president have had a number of meetings with big-bank C.E.O.s and lobbyists—is that the reason for the reversal on Glass-Stegall?

Steven Mnuchin: Not at all; there actually wasn't a reversal.

Warren: There wasn't a reversal?

Mnuchin: Let me explain.

Warren: I'm ready.

Mnuchin: The Republican platform did have Glass-Stegall. . . . The president said we do support a 21st-century Glass-Steagall, that means there are aspects of it that we think may make sense. But we never said before we support a full separation of banks and investment banking.

Warren: Let me just stop you right there, Mr. Secretary—

Mnuchin: You're not letting me finish—

Warren: Yeah, I'm not, because I really need to understand what you've just said. There are aspects of Glass-Steagall that you support, but not breaking up the banks and separating commercial banking from investment banking? What do you think Glass-Stegall was if that's not right at the heart of it?

Mnuchin: Again, I'm well aware of what Glass-Steagall was, as you may know the original concern of Glass-Steagall was about conflicts not about credit risk, and if we had supported a full Glass-Stegall we would have said at the time we believed in Glass-Stegall, not a 21st-century Glass-Stegall. We were very clear in differentiating it.

Warren: I still haven't heard the answer to my question; what do you think Glass-Stegall was if not separating commercial banking from investment banking, from ordinary banking?

Mnuchin: Again, the fundamental part of Glass-Stegall was, as you just outlined, it was separation of investment banking from commercial banking because people were concerned about conflicts.

Warren: And how do you separate without breaking up the big banks that have integrated these two things?

Mnuchin: Again, the integration of commercial banking and investment banking has gone on for a long time, that's not what caused the financial crisis, and if we did go back to a full separation, you would have an enormous impact on liquidity and lending.

Warren: So let me get this straight. You're saying you're in favor of Glass-Steagall, which breaks apart the two arms of the banks, except you don't want to break apart the two parts of banking. This is like something straight out of George Orwell. You're saying simultaneously you're in favor of breaking up the banks— that's what Glass-Steagall is—

Mnuchin: I never said we were in favor of breaking up the banks. If we had been, it would have been very simple .

Warren: Let me try one more time—what does it mean to be in favor of 21st-century Glass-Steagall if it does not mean breaking apart these two functions in banking?

Mnuchin: I'd be more than happy to come see you and follow up—

Warren: Just tell me what it means. Tell me what 21st-century Glass-Steagall means if it doesn't mean breaking up those two parts. It's an easy question.

Mnuchin: It's actually a complicated question—

Warren: I'll bet.

Mnuchin: There are many aspects of it. The simple answer is we don't support breaking up commercial and investment banks. We think that would be a huge mistake, but, again, I'm more than happy to listen to your ideas on it, you obviously have strong views.

Warren: This is just bizarre. The idea that you can say we're in favor of Glass-Steagall but not in breaking up the banks.

Mnuchin: We never said we were in favor of Glass-Steagall, we said we were in favor of a 21st-century Glass-Steagall. We couldn't be clearer.

Warren: Thank you . . . this is crazy.

seafoid

Michelle Ye Hee Lee‏ 

Since Inauguration Day, President Trump has made 586 false or misleading claims. http://wapo.st/trumpclaimsdb
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omochain

Silence.. Did somebody impeach Trump😇

screenexile

Hannity getting stuck into the tin hat Seth Rich nonsense now . . . but it's only the lame stream media that indulge in fake news!!  ::) ::)

foxcommander

Quote from: screenexile on May 22, 2017, 09:57:27 AM
Hannity getting stuck into the tin hat Seth Rich nonsense now . . . but it's only the lame stream media that indulge in fake news!!  ::) ::)

Have you been watching any of head Democrat conspiracy theorist Maxine Waters recently?
Surely you have to know this woman is insane or please please please write something defend her. I'd love a good laugh.

Her theories include Putin orchestrated the campaign against Hillary for Trump, Putin created the "lock her up" and "crooked Hillary" chants and the best one Putin invaded Korea?? WTF!! This is a top Democrat we're talking about.

She's acknowledged on TV that she has NO evidence but it's just a matter of finding it.  Good grief.

Even the host is thinking "mental woman" (go to 5 minutes in)
http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/rep-maxine-waters-i-believe-it-s-going-to-lead-right-to-impeachment-947035715691

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on May 22, 2017, 05:56:11 PM

Have you been watching any of head Democrat conspiracy theorist Maxine Waters recently?
Surely you have to know this woman is insane or please please please write something defend her. I'd love a good laugh.

Her theories include Putin orchestrated the campaign against Hillary for Trump, Putin created the "lock her up" and "crooked Hillary" chants and the best one Putin invaded Korea?? WTF!! This is a top Democrat we're talking about.

She's acknowledged on TV that she has NO evidence but it's just a matter of finding it.  Good grief.

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/rep-maxine-waters-i-believe-it-s-going-to-lead-right-to-impeachment-947035715691

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that you are correct, and that Maxine Waters is a bit of a whack job, no one has ever denied that there aren't crazy people or conspiracy theories on the liberal side.

Its the degree that is the key.

There is simply no comparison between the two sides, whether it is the birther movement, creationism, climate denialism, Sandy Hook, Jade Helm, FEMA concentration camps, incoming sharia la, "homosexual agenda", UN conspiracies and the rest and the degree to which the politicians that represent the right, whether they believe in a particular aspect of this shit or not, have to debase themselves so as not to offend their constituency.

And of course, we have the greatest conspiracy theorist subscriber of them all as president right now.

seafoid

Even if the odd liberal is nuts it doesn't mean all liberals are. Much of the stuff on Fox is bollocks.
Conservatives have very little in the way of honest media.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

'Top' Democrat?? Not so sure about that.

She is nuts about Putin coming up with Campaign strategy for Trump and she clearly meant Crimea and not Korea as you've said.

From what I've read about her not too many are taking her seriously anymore. Having said that I had she said anything worse than Gingrich, Hannity, f**king Trump himself even?

I haven't seen anyone give her nonsense any credence yet the 3 above speak the gospel truth according to nutjob conservatives!!

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2017, 06:52:06 PM

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that you are correct, and that Maxine Waters is a bit of a whack job, no one has ever denied that there aren't crazy people or conspiracy theories on the liberal side.

There is simply no comparison between the two sides, whether it is the birther movement, creationism, climate denialism, Sandy Hook, Jade Helm, FEMA concentration camps, incoming sharia la, "homosexual agenda", UN conspiracies and the rest and the degree to which the politicians that represent the right, whether they believe in a particular aspect of this shit or not, have to debase themselves so as not to offend their constituency.

And of course, we have the greatest conspiracy theorist subscriber of them all as president right now.

For the sake of argument ?? :D
She shares a podium with Nancy Pelosi to come out with her nonsense. If she was some backbencher trying to make a name for themselves you might be able to excuse it but she's front and centre for the democrats.

The degree is that she's making accusations with, by her own admission, no facts. In that case its pure lies. Surely you can't defend that, especially if you think that the democrats hold themselves to a higher standard.

foxcommander

Quote from: screenexile on May 22, 2017, 09:20:22 PM

'Top' Democrat?? Not so sure about that.

She is nuts about Putin coming up with Campaign strategy for Trump and she clearly meant Crimea and not Korea as you've said.

From what I've read about her not too many are taking her seriously anymore. Having said that I had she said anything worse than Gingrich, Hannity, f**king Trump himself even?

I haven't seen anyone give her nonsense any credence yet the 3 above speak the gospel truth according to nutjob conservatives!!

As I said, she shares the podium with Pelosi and Schumer and gets more than her share of airtime on the channels to air her assumptions. Honestly it doesn't help the credibility of the Democrats allowing her to keep coming out with those ridiculous comments. I've seen no evidence of anyone pulling her aside yet.

If there is going to be an impeachment it needs to be based on facts. Saying the word over and over again isn't going to do it.

stew

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2017, 06:52:06 PM

The left are a bunch of hateful arrogant c***ts that lost to Trump, you are right, there is no comparison, the democrats are simply too rotten, racist and corrupt to govern.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.